Training Camp Round Table

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Site Admin

Training Camp Round Table

Postby BossHog » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:14 am

I thought now that I was getting almost back to normal here, we could start an open thread for you guys to ask me anything you want about my observations at camp.

A few of you may have asked a question that went unanswered or got lost in the mix... so this is the new thread to post it in.

So if you haven't had a chance to make it to camp and want to ask something... fire away.

Subsequently... if you've been to camp and have an answer or opinion on any of the questions that arise from this thread... feel free to jump in.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby newshog » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:04 am

Hey, Boss--any particular observations about Bernard Jackson (who keeps getting mentioned as an up-and-comer) or Greg Scott, who has put on weight and has played some at DT?

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:23 am

The week that I was there the D-lines didn't do much that you could gauge their ability to perform in a game. Don't get me wrong, they did lots of drills and exercises... it's just that most of them were instructional and half speed. Not to mention that Bruce Smith only practices once a day and that Upshaw has been brought along carefully from his injury.

Jackson and Scott, did take most of the DT snaps although the last days I was there Wynn was playing inside and looked really good. I think Wynn and Noble at DT is still our best option with Upshaw and Smith at DE and some of the others being rotated through. O course... they don't ask me :-)

Scott didn't look out of shape and unable to play at his new weight though. Unfortunately, I can't offer you any more insight than that.

I will say that we will be fine against the run... i'm just not sure where the pass rush will come from.

Let's not forget that we have one of the best LB corps in the league aand if Trotter can get back to the form he had in Philly-land and Lavar can continue to improve... they'll make some noise too.

Perhaps the most important thing that we added to our defense in the offseason.... an offense that will hopefully be able to keep them off the field for more than 2 minutes at a time.

redskinsmiley

Postby heatman28 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:49 am

Let's not forget that we have one of the best LB corps in the league aand if Trotter can get back to the form he had in Philly-land and Lavar can continue to improve... they'll make some noise too.

Perhaps the most important thing that we added to our defense in the offseason.... an offense that will hopefully be able to keep them off the field for more than 2 minutes at a time.

I'll agree with that hog! A lot is rding on young Ramsey but I think he can come through for us. We definately have the speed this year so the offense should be more of a threat without a doubt. DT seems to be the main worry and it has been for the last 3 years or so still the defense remains in the top 10 every year. I think I'll judge a little preseason action before jumping on that wagon. Jackson & Scott have good, young potential and it will take someone to step up to create a pass rush but it is possible. Keep the faith Skins faithfuls...

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:28 pm

BossHog, I haven't asked about Lavar's hands yet. They were hopelessly taped up and pretty un-useable most of last season. Have they healed completely in the offseason? Does he still tape them up?

Postby sync » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:45 pm

Hey BossHog,
I was wondering....How did Smoot actually look out there?
We all know he talks very well, but how did his actual GAME look? Were Flowers, and the rest of the WR, going against him when they made there catches?
Also did you get a chance to see Rashaud Bauman?
Thanks BOSSHOG
( :P FLASH BACK: "10-4 good buddy, I might be crazy, but I sho ain't dumb this is KrAAAAAAAAAZZZZYY..Kooter coming at cha!" :wink: )
(Hazard County)

Site Admin

Smoooooooooooooot

Postby BossHog » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:58 am

Smoot looked pretty good. Most of the time WR's were blowing by DB's, it was the 'lesser knowns', but Champ and Smoot got beat occasionally too.

Cliff Russell blew by Smoot one day like Fred was planted.

Overall though, he's actually a likeable guy. He talks a lot, no doubt, but he seems to have fun out there. There were also a few times that I talked to him at the rope where the players come off, and the schtick never ends let me tell you. I realy hope that he can return to his rookie rather than his sophomore form though.

I think that Smoot boils down to this... if you're expecting him to be one of the best CB's in the league... you're kidding yourself. He's pretty good, but he's no Champ Bailey. As far as #2 CB's in the league though, he's up there in the top 5 or 10. He gives us one of the better tandems in the league, but he's still going to get beat some. They all do.

He talks like he's Champ though. :-) There's no denying that the crowd loves him though.

I like Bauman too. He gives us very little drop off to the nickel back and is capable of pushing Smoot for a starting job.

Site Admin

Lavar

Postby BossHog » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:03 am

I didn't notice Lavar's hands at all, but I'll go through my pictures and see if I can see any tape on them.

I was too busy wondering how a guy that really isn't very big compared to some of the other monsters out there.. could look so big.

sfir

Re: Lavar

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:27 am

BossHog wrote:I didn't notice Lavar's hands at all, but I'll go through my pictures and see if I can see any tape on them.

I don't remember seeing any tape on his hands and he was doing personal windsprints in front of us after tuesdays afternoon practice. (wow - then he went to lift weights - sheesh - two practices, wind sprints, weights...)

Rich in Roanoke
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby newshog » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:59 am

Re: LaVar's hands

The way he collared that guy running past him with the ball and flipped him onto his back leads me to believe that his hands are fine this year!
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

swine

Postby learnnew » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:21 am

BossHog/skinsfanno9/others,

How was the team in terms of penalties during the camp? They are stinking up the joint in the preseason. Was this performance expected from what you guys saw during the camp? Has anyone performed better in game situations than in practice and vice versa?
Go Skins! For 10-6 or higher!

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007