Now Spurrier Confirms He's Leaving!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Now Spurrier Confirms He's Leaving!

Postby Jake » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:58 pm

I'm sorry to keep doing this to you guys. :(

New From The Post
Spurrier Now Confirms He's Leaving Redskins

By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, December 30, 2003; 2:34 PM

Coach Steve Spurrier and the Washington Redskins worked out the final details of his resignation this afternoon -- after a few hours of confusion in which Spurrier was unaware that he had quit his own job.

Spurrier's resignation was worked out by agent Jimmy Sexton while the coach played golf, presumably in Florida. Spurrier, who had hired Sexton on Monday, was initially unable to reach the agent today because of cell phone troubles on the golf course. That led Spurrier to deny that he had quit after the team had announced his departure in a news release.

"I was caught off-guard," Spurrier said when asked about his denial. "Obviously, when a person resigns he usually calls it in himself. The bottom line is if that's what's best for everyone concerned that's what we'll do. We'll get to the bottom of it by the end of the day."

Spurrier said he would discuss his resignation later in the day.

In a news release issued early this afternoon, the Redskins said Spurrier had telephoned owner Daniel Snyder and resigned "in the best interest of the Redskins franchise." It was unclear if Spurrier had spoken to team officials as of 1:45 p.m. today.

In the release, Snyder said, "I have accepted Steve's resignation with much regret but respect his decision."

The move was a surprise to Redskins officials, who believed Spurrier would return for a third season. There are few high-profile NFL coaching candidates believed to be available. If Snyder wants to hire a big-name former NFL coach, he could pursue former Minnesota Vikings coach Dennis Green, former Jacksonville coach Tom Coughlin and former Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys Coach Jimmy Johnson.

The Redskins said in the release that they will begin their search for Spurrier's replacement immediately.

Team sources said Spurrier had informed his assistant coaches of the decision and that there had been no buyout of what remained of his five-year, approximately $25 million contract. But Spurrier would be paid some money to cover his expenses and would also serve as a consultant, sources said.

Two people close to Spurrier say they expect him to take a year off before seeking a college coaching job.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:01 pm

I just did my happy dance in the radar room. :D

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:13 pm

F%^$ it, now that its for sure, for sure, i am going to the beer store.
former Minnesota Vikings coach Dennis Green, former Jacksonville coach Tom Coughlin and former Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys Coach Jimmy Johnson.

any of those would work. i like JJ and coughlin best because they in turn could also serve as their own gm, without snyder actually giving in and saying, "i hired a gm", he could do it incognito :D denny green is a talanted offensive coach, but not a no nonsense coach like coughlin or JJ.
Last edited by hailskins666 on Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Diesel

Re: Now Spurrier Confirms He's Leaving!

Postby DEHog » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:14 pm

Jake wrote:after a few hours of confusion in which Spurrier was unaware that he had quit his own job.

Spurrier would be paid some money to cover his expenses and would also serve as a consultant, sources said.

[/quote]

He didn't know he had quit his own job??? This guy is a head coach...I don't think I have ever had my opinion or impression of a man go down hill so fast!!

Consultant for what...Synder golf game!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:17 pm

Consultant for what...Synder golf game!!

NO, everything spurrier says to do or has advice for, we do the exact opposite....:lol: it's a sure fire situation :lol:
THN's resident jerk.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:20 pm

This is all Snyders fault. Spurrier had no say-so on this team.

The players knew it and the coaches know it. This is a damn shame and who is going to put up with this in the future :-k
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

----

Postby HitDoctor » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:47 pm

If Hiring a GM isn't the first thing he does, then we are in trouble for at least 2 decades!
it is what it is

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:54 pm

If Hiring a GM isn't the first thing he does, then we are in trouble for at least 2 decades!
we need a coach who can serve as his own gm....JJ or coughlin.....we don't need a yes man, we need someone with balls big enuff to stand up to snyder, but work with him at the same time.
THN's resident jerk.

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:31 pm

Yeah, but what sort of influence does a new coach with "GM" duties and abilites have if he has to check-off with DS and Cerrato w/respect to player personell decisions, etc.

This, IMHO, just nullifies a good coaches ability. What these two Bozo's need to do is get out of the way and give the new coach maximum personell decison making ability.
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football