Nobody has mentioned..

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

Nobody has mentioned..

Postby BossHog » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:39 pm

I haven't seen anyone make mention of Ray Rhodes yet as the Redskins next head coach.

I've seen his name bandied around a few times now, and with 7 coaching vacancies and the politically correct NFL wanting to be fair to minority coaches -- there's a good chance that Dennis Green or Rhodes are going to get a gig.

Snyder loves to grab headlines wherever he can, so being the one to 'embrace affirmative action' would certainly be his style. Green wants too much power for DS to hire him.

We all know Rhodes is a good defensive co-ordinator... is he ready for the head coaching gig ?
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:49 pm

you know i just don't think ray blitzes enuff, i mean they didn't even try to get in ramsey's head, giving him time to throw, and he picked em apart.........L. Smith of the rams is hardcore, that guy can run a D. if we pick up a defensive minded HC, or if he'd consider being our DC, i'd like to see him here. i like gregg williams too, but i don't think he did a good enough job in buf to warrant a HC job, but i'd like to see him as DC.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:00 pm

After seeing first hand what he did in Philly, I wouldn't want him here.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

----

Postby HitDoctor » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:19 pm

Philadelphia eats it's young and the organization is absolutely CHEAP! They have done well at this point mainly because the conference, and more importantly the division, sucks. We forget that a large part of success is luck (remember, if Dallass knocks out detroit in the divisional playoff in '91, dallass might have beaten us in the conference championship game). So, I think Rhodes would do better than the most recent boobs we've had. My preference, Fassel. Why? I think he did well with an overrated giants team until this season when injuries wiped them out. He will definitely bring passion back to the team and we will be beating teams IMMEDIATELY!! We'll see.
it is what it is

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:42 pm

Guess that kinda tell you RR is not a popular choice here... I have to concur with 666 on this one. Two guys I really like are Smith and my choice Romeo Crennel from the Pats this guy has 34 seasons as coach, 23 of those in NFL. Has spent 17 seasons with Bill Belichick...includes three NFL championships, four conference titles, and seven division crowns.. And who know he may be able to bring Wies with him as OC, but I think he will get a HC job. I just want a guy who is hungry...so why not a give a coodinator a shot. The other thing I like to see us do is get someone from Ozzie Newson staff up in Bmore to come in here and build this team via the draft
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:33 pm

I wasnt trying to give Rhodes my vote, just saying that I was surprised that he hadn't been mentioned yet when he had been by the press.

I'm not surprised that he's not people's first choice, that's probably we hadn't been mentioned in here :-)

I still think that he will be given a lot of consideration for the reasons I mentined before.

I also wanna add that this 3 headed coaching monster would probably never happen IMO. 2 maybe, but not 3. I think it's likely that either the OC or the DC will be the HC... do you see?

:-)
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:34 pm

I just want a guy who is hungry...so why not a give a coodinator a shot.

I like the idea in general; however, in my opinion, the reason you DON'T give a coordinator a shot with the Skins is because the Redskins have done enough gambling when picking their coach.

The Spurrier experiment is over (thank Gawd). Let's hope that D.S. is done experimenting and picks an experienced, battle-tested, head coach.

I would prefer that instead of going after a "coordinator".
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:23 pm

I like Rhoades and had just forgotten he was out there and available.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:44 pm

The Spurrier experiment is over (thank Gawd). Let's hope that D.S. is done experimenting and picks an experienced, battle-tested, head coach.

i second that motion. i don't really want to take a chance anymore. we tried, it didn't work, lets move on. the only way i'd want to see any assistant coach or coordinator, would be if WE already had one in place, ready to move into it.....(i don't think hue jackson is ready to make that leap :lol: ) i don't want any more risks. i want someone we can trust. we need a coach that knows how to do it, not someone who might. there are to many good choices to go through another "transition". the road ahead is already bumpy enough.
THN's resident jerk.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:43 pm

I guess I just look at Rhodes, Fassel, and Green as retreads. All these guys made a name for themselves by being good OC's. I think it's time for change in the NFL coaching ranks, as evident by the lack of HC’s available. Johnson, Gibbs,Shula, Ditka, Walsh, Levy have all moved on with Parcells and Vermeil soon to follow. They have left their mark on the league along with some pretty good OC’s and DC’s, I think we need to pluck two of these guy and make one are HC.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:45 pm

a few reasons denny would be a good move over a coordinator or other candidates.....
1. He's proven - in ten seasons with minnesota(including playoffs) 101-70 (.591)
2. EIGHT playoff appearances in those ten years.(some people label the guy as a choke artist, not being able to get to the big game, much like philly now, but it would tickle me pink to have that problem)
3. He will play GM too - way better decision maker than danny or vinny. the guy drafted moss, among others.....
4. He is a strech the field type offensive mind, a great fit for our current personnel. we wouldn't have to completely re tool the roster, we have a bunch of weapons in place already.(fassel would be a great fit with the personnel too) he set records with the offense in min, i mean the guy learned under walsh in sf's glory days.
THN's resident jerk.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:05 pm

hailskins666 wrote:3. He will play GM too - way better decision maker than danny or vinny. the guy drafted moss, among others.....

Which is why he won't get the job...in fairness to Green he was a Randy Moss dropped TD away from the SB. Sorry Guys I just can't get excited about Green or any of the candidates.

How bout this, their needs to be some stability. Everyone seem to like Hue Jackson, my self included allow him to stay on as OC go out and get a Offensive HC (I really want a defensive HC but will give if we keep Hue) Keep Edwards as LB coach (the players like him) and secure one of the defensive HC that just got fired as our DC...problems solve!!!

in the Cheap Seats

Postby Wingman » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:05 am

I will offer my two cents to this subject and say that I really dont care who we retain as our next coach. I just want them to be the best candidate available. I am tired of the lack of continuity this organization has suffered through. I think that Spurrier's being brought in here was a band-aid for a gun shot wound and that wound is gaping even more now. We need a coaching staff that will shape this team into the NFC power that we all want to see and believe is there.
The Wingman in the Cheap Seats

"If you arent doing something to help the team, you are hurting it."

"No one rises to low expectations" -McQ

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:14 am

I can't fault DS for hiring SS. SS was the hottest HC prospect at the time. I know there're about a dozen teams in the NFL thanking the football gods that they didn't get him

in the Cheap Seats

Postby Wingman » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:25 am

I am not faulting him either but bringing in "the hottest HC prospect" isnt always the right medicine for a team that has been circling the drain for as long as we have been. Spurrier has never been a strict coach and that was unquestionable one of the contributing factors to his demise.
The Wingman in the Cheap Seats

"If you arent doing something to help the team, you are hurting it."

"No one rises to low expectations" -McQ

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football