Call me crazy... BUT

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
---------

Call me crazy... BUT

Postby redskins56 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:32 am

Five days ago, if someone would have said this I would have giggled, although even then it wasn't too far fetched... But I'm not so sure that with Spurriers departure we don't draft a running back...

I understand that we are in desperate need of an elite pass rusher or two, possibly young guys with some fire in their eyes...In addition to a DE, a legit run stopping DT to clog up the middle would be nice, and I would have put that high on the draft need position a few days ago...

However, no matter what coach we bring in here, they are going to want (and need) a power running game. Our offensive line features four lineman, known for plowing holes for the running game, and every football coach from the NFL to Pop Warner knows the importance of establishing a ground game (other than goof ball Spurrier of course...)

There are some very good ones, and it would be tough to opt with a veteran in the waining moments of their career like Duce Staley, when Kevin Jones, and a host of other top tear backs are sitting there...

D Lineman will be accessible through FA, and there are a handful of the games finest pass rushers on the move this offseason... The DT class is headed by one of the games best (whether ya like him or not, Warren Sapp), and there is another nice bunch to pick from...

Call me crazy, but we are going to need someone who can get 20-28 carries a game, making the last mean as much as the first. I'm not sure we have that right now, and we don't really have anyone who has proven that they can take a beating between the tackles (Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright are the closest things we have to that..) Trung/ Rock/ Chad/ and Ladell are all serviceable guys, but there isn't a workhorse that is going to put fear in the eyes of tacklers...

ALA BIG COUNTRY.... #48...

What do you think?

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:59 am

the pass rushers that are available as FA's are going to be EXPENSIVE!!!! it would be a little cheaper to plug those holes in the draft. however, like him or not, cory dillon is available on th FA market. he's a little old, but still has a couple years of service left. while he wouldn't be the long term solution, he would make a difference the next couple years. i doubt he would demand large $$$ because of his age, and a two or three year deal would be a perfect fit.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

piglet

Postby jrforbes » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:32 pm

I agree with you triple 6. Corey Dillon would serve us well for a couple years...maybe by then we'll have a featured RB in Ladell Betts by then. Ladell looks like Stephen Davis and I truly believe that he will be running like Davis in the near future. He just has to stay healthy.

piglet

Postby Star City Skins Fan » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:40 pm

It seems to me there aren't any real elite D linemen coming out. Will Smith from OSU looks good, but I want a dominating player at the No. 5 pick. Miami's Sean Taylor is gonna be a great safety and there are a couple of strong RBs out there...Kevin Jones, Steven Jackson. The best idea may be to trade down for DT Dwan Edwards or someone else and pick up a guy like Dillon.
Yes, there is another Redskins fan in Roanoke!

Hog

Postby tx_skins_fan » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:37 pm

Are you people crazy? Corey Dillon proclaimed his desire to be a Dallas Cowboy earlier this season. He's the last person I would want on our team. I think he'll end up in Dallas. They're talking about releasing Galloway, which would put them $20 million under the salary cap. They can afford Dillon.
oops....sorry!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:41 pm

Dillon may like Dallas, but I'm not so sure that Bill Parcells will like Cory Dillon... well Dillon's attitude anyway... the guy can definitely play.

Yep tx_skins_fan... they can definitely afford him... and Bledsoe.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:44 am

Dallas can have him.....from what I've heard, Buffalo is going to try and hold on to Bledsoe
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:07 pm

I know what I have read on here and in articles about Jones, but I can tell you after watching him in Tech games, he definitely is another very good RB to come out of Tech. He was tentative the first year he played, but after that, he hit holes decisively and with speed and power. I don't know where my compatriot in Roanoke got the idea he was a me guy since all the interviews I heard with him in them he was well spoken and a really decent guy. One thing is for sure...with Tech's weight program (2nd in the country to Nebraska) he will be in great shape to play. With the rotational system Tech plays to keep his legs fresh, he will be a very fresh RB with less miles under the hood. He can catch, knows how to block. I would call him a very good back, and I don't see 6 feet 211 as being smallish.
Rich in Roanoke

in the Cheap Seats

Postby Wingman » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:22 pm

I am still left scratching my head about what we do on draft day. A lot could happen between March 1st and the Draft with FA's but now that we can think like a real NFL team instead of Spurology, it will be interesting. I am more apt to lean towards the working on the d-line first, it was our most notable problem.
The Wingman in the Cheap Seats

"If you arent doing something to help the team, you are hurting it."

"No one rises to low expectations" -McQ

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:27 am

I don't know that we ought to take him Wingman, but as we all know we need a running back who can handle the ball and make some good yardage. The question remains as to whether there are true studs at DL this year worth the money of a top 5.

Of course... now we can throw this into the mix (which makes draft speculation so much fun) - how about trading down 5-6 spots, picking up 2 other picks and getting a good DL anyway if there isn't much separating the top few? It seems to me that we could very easily do that and get some picks to fill the holes we put in the draft schedule last year. If the draft is relatively thick at DT/DE, which it seems to be, there won't be 10-12 DL taken in the first 10-12 picks. There are too many needs that teams ahead of us would need to fill on the offensive side of the ball.
Rich in Roanoke

Postby Gibbsman74 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:14 pm

we have good enough RBs. our 5th overall pick should be sean taylor S Miami, can anyone deny what Roy Williams has done for the convicts, and taylor might even be a little faster.
Joe Gibbs is the greatest human to ever walk this earth!!!!

Redskins4Life

Postby Redskins4Life » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:32 pm

I agree with you Gibbsman. Sean Taylor is a beast but deciding between picking him or Kevin Jones is gonna be a hard thing to do. I say trade Bailey for two first round picks and get both of em. Get Jevon Kearse or John Abraham in FA, and/or Warren Sapp.

Redskins4Life

Postby Redskins4Life » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:35 pm

I forgot one thing. Bailey leaving will free up plenty of cap space, meaning we could get those big name Dlinemen. And as a replacement for Bailey, Charles Woodson, Shawn Springs, Samari Rolle, and Chris McAllister are all on the Free Agent market this year.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:46 pm

I forgot one thing. Bailey leaving will free up plenty of cap space, meaning we could get those big name Dlinemen. And as a replacement for Bailey, Charles Woodson, Shawn Springs, Samari Rolle, and Chris McAllister are all on the Free Agent market this year.
i agree bailey can be replaced. but his contract is up, him leaving won't create any cap space. i'm sure that a number has been figured in in case he signs, but we gain no space if he leaves. even if bailey isn't here a decent replacement will require a decent size contract.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Postby Gibbsman74 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:26 pm

i am not totaly sold on bailey anyway, it seems like he has more hype than production. that would also give us an extra 1st rounder next year as well.
Joe Gibbs is the greatest human to ever walk this earth!!!!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010