Spurrier Quivered Away

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---------

Spurrier Quivered Away

Postby redskins56 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:24 am

When adversity stared Steve Spurrier strait in the face for the first time in his head coaching career, he ran and hid like a young child. In his season ending meeting with his players on Sunday afternoon, Spurrier did not indicate that he would be leaving. Matter of fact, he spoke for a minute and a half, one player recalled, and then left the room.

While the rest of the coaches in the NFL, who weren't out of a job, or heading o the postseason, were calling players in to their offices one by one to talk abou the individuals future with the team and offseason plans, Spurrier was packing his bags for his vacation, knowing full well he wasn't coming back. Rather than resigning the proper way (notifying Snyder, and his players, then having a press conference to address fans/media) Spurrier fled so that he didn't have to give any reasons.

He knew full well he was bidding the burgendy and gold good bye when he left the area, and the bull crap about him sleeping on it is hog wash, (pun intended.) In one of the least classy acts I have ever heard of, he called Snyder on the phone to tell him that he was stepping away from the league and breaking his ties with the Skins, then hung up to go play a round of golf under the palm trees. He didn't once talk to any of his players, and from what I have read, has yet to contact the majority of his assistants.

What he did was bull crap. To send a fax to Redskins Park with his final comments, or call them into the Washington Post is horrible. He should be ashamed that he didn't have the guts to get up in front of Redskins fans and tell them why he was QUIIING... Thats right he Q-Q-Quit... After a 12-20 two season stretch in which he went 2-10 against our division rivals he at least owed us a fair well...

What he did showed no class, left the Redskins in a bind, and showed how little he really cares, as long as he is counting the ten million that he earned the past two seasons. He made almost a million dollars per win, isn't that nice.... What a treat that was for the ol' ball coach...

Thanks for seeing to it that a deal was not worked out with Stephen Davis, because he didn't fit your self proclaimed "brilliant" schemes... (Don't want to hear about hte 11 million BS, because he signed a 3 yr 15 million dollar deal with the Panthers and he coulda and woulda restructured his deal if he was guaranteed some carries...)

Steve, thanks for sticking your nose into the draft and snagging Taylor Jacobs. Thanks for Reidell Anthony, Jacquez Green, Chris Doering, and Robert Gillespie. Oh and last but not least, thanks alot for making me suffer through the Danny Woefel saga... I appreciate everything you did.

Good Riddins,

GP,
loyal Skins fan

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:04 am

The more we get into SS and what he did here it's burns me up. Everybody so quick to blame DS here but let's look at the fact

Fact...SS knew and even stated when hire this is DS team he has final say so over the team my job is to coach.

Fact..He had a 12-20 record 2-10 in the division with the two win coming against lame duck coaches!!

Fact...remember all the hoopla earlier this year about how SS was going to start sitting in on the defensive and special team meetings?? Are you kidding me!! A head coach! A head coach! Who doesn't sit in or confer with the whole team???

Fact...it was SS who allow things around Redskins Park to get lacks, look at all the players who have spoken up and talk about the lack of discipline on the team. SS denies but perceptions are reality. For proof look no further then the playing field 5-11 record, 124 penalties (a team record)

RS56 is right on..The way SS left was bush league. NFL network showed the locker rooms and PC after the games of McGinnis, Fassel, Williams, Juron, Callahan...notice which one is missing?

A lot has been said about DS undermining SS if so SS should come out and tell his side. But that doesn’t negate the fact the SS had a pretty damn good offense on the field and yet could do nothing with it. This from a coach the critics call an offensive genius!! It that DS fault? DS called no plays this year. SS stayed and coached mainly on the Offensive side of the ball.

The last point I want to make is about the word Genius it is thrown around the NFL like a jock strap. IT is usually associated with an Offensive minded HC. Look at the latest editions...Gruden,Billick,Martz,Vermeil,Spurrier,Bilicik,Lewis,Fox and Parcells there are other I know and yes I know I have listed some defensive HC but look at the common denominator of these guys. There all realize the importance of a good running game and defense, some had to change in the approach to their game, the exact opposite of what SS tried to do here!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:51 am

The more we get into SS and what he did here it's burns me up. Everybody so quick to blame DS here but let's look at the fact

Fact...SS knew and even stated when hire this is DS team he has final say so over the team my job is to coach.

the reason i blame snyder....you even said it yourself.....he has final say so. he ultimately messed things up, he's the boss. when a company or business fails or makes mistakes, who do you blame....THE BOSS. if you go to a restaraunt and the food sucks, you don't ask to see the chef, you ask to see the manager. and while i agree with this thread, spurrier was a joke, who's still here lookin pretty dumb right now???? i'll tell ya who.....dan snyder.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:26 am

Hey, Robert Gillespie was the only good Gator we signed! :D :up:
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

swine

Postby skinsNut » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:31 am

Whoohoo Hailskins, well said.

:celebrate:
Hail to the Redskins

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:37 am

hailskins666 wrote:
when a company or business fails or makes mistakes, who do you blame....THE BOSS. if you go to a restaraunt and the food sucks, you don't ask to see the chef, you ask to see the manager. and while i agree with this thread, spurrier was a joke, who's still here lookin pretty dumb right now???? i'll tell ya who.....dan snyder.

And if the food continues to suck who get fired ???
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:58 am

And if the food continues to suck who get fired ???
and if you change cooks, and it still sucks, who is still ultimately responsible?
THN's resident jerk.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:45 pm

Well said DHog and RS56.

DS may be the final say, but he doesn't coach 'em up. SOS sucked and I'm glad he quit....it just suprises me what a lack of class he did it with.

One things for sure...the guy can't coach at this level.

I heard a rumor that he was headed for Nebraska...what a joke and about as good of a fit as he was with the Skins.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:54 pm

[quote="hailskins666]and if you change cooks, and it still sucks, who is still ultimately responsible?[/quote]

Hey he made a mistakes he hired a Sushi chef for a Steak house. But I've seen some Sushi chefs that were able to learn how to cook steak. To bad this one couldn't!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:18 pm

Hey he made a mistakes he hired a Sushi chef for a Steak house. But I've seen some Sushi chefs that were able to learn how to cook steak. To bad this one couldn't!
:lol: we need to hire a chef and let HIM create the menu :lol:
THN's resident jerk.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:48 pm

reminds me of a quote I read the other day on this board, "you can't polish a turd!"
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:25 pm

hailskins666 wrote:we need to hire a chef and let HIM create the menu :lol:

SS was in charge of the menu lots of stuff just no vaniila (running game)

What we need is a Head Chef who can shop for the ingredients for the cooks

Hog

Postby redskincity » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:43 pm

Spurrier was undermined at this level. Its unfair to say he cant compete at this level.

Thats like saying if all rookies are not like Arrington, Champ or Samuels, That they will not be successful in the league at a two year period.

The only flaw I saw in SOS game is toughness. My 2 cents

We had a decent running game until Injuries set in. Trung averaged 5.4 yard a carry before his injuries. The best in the league get hurt and will hurt there teams chances, when they do. :up:
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football