So let me get this straight...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
aka Sarcastic Hog

So let me get this straight...

Postby skinz74 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:14 am

The Redskins organization has focused all their attention on the HC position alone...I hope not...???!!! There are several other positions that are/should be void and need filling...I.E. DC/OC/QB coach, etc. We haven't heard a peep about those type of individuals. Meanwhile, Lovie Smith, Jimmy Johnson, Gregg Williams, Etc...are just like apples on a tree...waiting to be plucked. I think a little "multi-tasking" is in order. I assume that they are waiting to fill the HC slot, so that he could have some input on the coordinators...just hope that key personnel are still available when that time comes. Call me paranoid...just see a LOT of talent on the assisant sidelines out there and don't want to miss out on it. :?

swine

Postby skinsNut » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:27 am

How can you possibly pick the staff without knowing who the head honcho will be?

We can't just sign the OC we want and the DC we want and then add a head coach... the coach has to come first. Whomever is hired is proably going to want to bring some people with him, so i don't see how hiring anyone before the coach does us any good.

It would just make the coach think that they have no say in what goes on around Redskin Park.

Oh wait.... nevermind.

:-)
Hail to the Redskins

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:32 am

I hope Skinaz74 is right and Jimmy is as easy to get as an apple on a tree!!! PICK HIM DANNY!

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:08 am

Didn't say "pick"...but we could at least interview several candidates so that we have an idea when it's time to strike, instead of waiting till it's too late and getting leftovers.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:29 am

most of those "hot shot" coords are lookin to be HC"s and not coords. once we have our head coach, and the dust settles, there will still be a bunch of good solid guys without jobs. some coaches will have former assistants flock to their new team...it always happens after a new HC hire. we just need to be patient, and get the right chief. thats the problem now, too many chiefs and not enuff indians. we've chased the "names" before, and had little luck. let's get a coach who knows football, and let him decide who needs to be where.... My 2 cents
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:31 am

Why not according to alot of you here it's DS that's going to pick all the coaches anyway why can't we go and get OC/Dc and the rest HC have no say so here right?
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:35 am

Why not according to alot of you here it's DS that's going to pick all the coaches anyway why can't we go and get OC/Dc and the rest HC have no say so here right?

pretty much. the only HC to have any say over anything since '99 has been marty, and danny didn't let that last too long.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:30 pm

I just think some of you might be missing the point. In order to be prepared once we "HAVE" selected a HC, it would be nice to have pre-interviewed some candidates so that management and HC can make some decisions. I think we are all fully aware that the HC isn't going to make all those decisions without 'Ol Danny Boy. That's all I was getting at. I would want my HC to pick his staff as well, but why not arm him with as much information as possible prior to making those decisions. My 2 cents My 2 cents My 2 cents

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:13 pm

I understand what you’re saying , my last post was tongue in cheek.

Why do you think Danny boy fire up Redskins One and jetted out to the left coast last night. Fassel has interviews this weekend with Arizona and Da Bears, DS wasn't about to let him go before he had his say.

Here's my thing with Fassel, we keep saying we want a HC to instill some discipline, and people here think he will do that. But all I keep hearing out of NY is that why thay let him go?????? Love to have him as OC
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

---------

Postby redskins56 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:02 pm

SKINSNUT is absolutely right... there is no way to even plausibly think that you can hand hire a group of coaches to work under the head coach, without knowhing who it is... They need to be able to work toghether, and if you tell a coach you are trying to hire that, "We want you but, you can't hire your own staff, we have already assembled if for you..." they would laugh in your face...

The head coaches job is to bring in the people that he wants working under him. That would be rediculous for the Skins to do...

Lastly, if the Redskins went about filling all of the holes in the coaching staff, and put the most important job on the backburner as Skins74 or whoever said they should in the original post, then we will end up with a secon tear, less touted, or not revered candidate because the rest would find homes... It is a race to get who you want, which is why you have to ask swiftly but smartly, and in the best interset of your franchise, something Danny Boy doesn't alwasy do... he does act quickly though

There are 7 openings, and if we go grabbing assistants we will end up with Steve Spurrier Jr. calling the shots next season... AHHHHHHH... WAKE ME UP QUICK...

Hail to the Skins,
Geepz

piglet

Postby jrforbes » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:14 pm

Agree with SKINS NUT and SKINZ74...the HC has to bring in their own staff, but DS should have some input as well...unfortunateley DS didn't think of this when Spurrier came in with his rookies. For SKINZ74's case, DS did bring in Ray Rhodes as DC under Norv Turner. But it is key that the coaching staff are compatible with the HC's system or it will be a failure before it begins.

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:18 pm

let's all say this together...I only said they should interview...so that they have some sort of idea of what's out there...nothing more. I am fully aware that the HC needs a lot of input on who his staff is. 'Nuff said. I think DeHog and I now understand each other...just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:28 pm

So are you telling me that Marvin Lewis was SS choice for DC?? We all know the answer to That. You'll all right we should bring in a HC first..it goes without saying.

piglet

Postby jrforbes » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:44 pm

Got it SKINZ74 and good point DEHog...I forgot about Marvin Lewis and I recall Marvin and Steve not being on the same page in my readings of the Washington Post. Now we all know why...

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football