Future Redskin Playing Tonight?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:52 am

I never said it wasn't a good move last year jrforbes, just saying that eventually you have to draft people... for cap reasons and for youth reasons.

Allen was good at assembling FAs, no doubt about it, but how many Super Bowls did it get him?
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby skins75 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:25 pm

I would like to point out that being here in South Florida and getting the chance to see Sean Taylor in action I would say that taking him with the #5 pick is a good move and then we can address our DT needs by drafting Randy Starks from UMD with our 2nd pick. Although I may be a little bias being a UMD grad, I think this guy has all the makings of a stud in the NFL.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:49 pm

You know... Cerrato reminds me of people I have seen on speed... except he has that look that makes him look like he constantly is being goosed - the man never blinks. However, I don't disagree with the standpoint of taking younger players that have proven themselves so well from other teams and not bringing in busts from the draft like we had so much in the 90's.

Remember Beathard? How many times did that man trade picks for players? Maybe that is the secret to his success? :)
Rich in Roanoke

---------

Postby redskins56 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:19 am

I am sick of hearing about Sean Taylor this Sean Taylor that... Obviouslly he is a great athlete, and will be a very good safety one day, but that isn't this team's biggest need or even near close to it...

He wouuld be a great selection if he slid out of the top ten, but since we are going to get one of the five best players in the nation, we should grab a stud at a position, where they will start automatically, and make an instant impact...

The problem is that until FA comes and goes, we don't know wehre those holes are, but the team has shown major interest in bringing starting Strong Safety Ifeyani Ohelate back...

If it ain't brok you don't fix it... Lot's of things are broke, and safety just aint broke as much... Kinda like maken do with a leaken faucet in the kitchen, when the one upstairs is gushing out water, spraying it all over the bathroom...

--GEEPZ

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:32 am

Safety ain't broke?

Definitely not in agreement there. We haven't seen a safety here for years. Bowen is a good second safety but Ohalete is far too inconsistent to be considered a starter... he can't even fill the right holes half the time. He constantly followed Trotter into the same gap only to see the RB run right through the one beside him. Sure he made some interceptions... many games, he was just invisible.

Sean Taylor is head and shoulders above anything we have and the safety position has been rejuvenated in the NFL. There is rarely a FS and a SS anymore.. they basically overlap. Roy Williams and Ed Reed have proven what an impact a great safety can have on a defense.

I understand that we need d-line help but there's FAs to tap also. I don't think there's a d-lineman even worthy of a top 5 pick myself.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:10 am

While I'll be the first to say that we couldn't lose by drafting Taylor, my question is where do we need the help most. Also who makes who better? If we draft Taylor does he make the D-Line better, conversely in we draft D-Line don’t they make the LB and DB better?? I just think the greatest need on this team is on the D-Line, can it be through the FA market…maybe but I wouldn’t draft Taylor unless you have it in place already.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:20 am

We need a DE, and a DT... please don't misconstrue what I'm trying to say here. I just think that we can probably land a DE in FA. I also hope that Noble will be progressing well and looking like he can come back nect year.

The draft isn't too DT rich (they all got drafted last year!) and I'm not convinced that we won't still get a top 5 DT with our 2nd round pick.

In my mind, that leaves S and RB as our two most important fills. K. Jones and S. Taylor should both be there for us to choose from.

Honestly though... you could send the exact same team out with Joe Gibbs at the helm and finish at least 9-7 instead of 5-11. Let's remember that we have built a pretty awesome o-line with Samuels, Jansen, Thomas, Moore and Dockery but it is a line that is better suited to running the ball, not passing. That won't be an issue with Gibbs here. Gibbs also managed to get yardage out of any back because of the hogs... not just the back. I could have run through the holes that they created.

I think Gibbs is coming back for two reasons:
1) He hates what's happenoing to the Redskins right now and
2) I think he likes the pieces of the puzzle that are here but not getting it done.

He certainly doesn't need the money. like evrything Joe has ever done, he has been the best thing in NASCAR since he got there. his team is HUGELY successful.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:26 am

his team is HUGELY successful.
i just want his new/old :hmm: (how do you refer to it) team to be hugely successful again :D
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010