Player's Coach

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
----

Player's Coach

Postby HitDoctor » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:53 am

Has anyone pondered this term and the concern that it should bring to a fan of a team that has one? One would think that a players coach would equate to players playing a hard for a guy, willing to run through a brick wall for the guy because they believe that his plan will work no matter what.

Unfortunately, in most recent history, "a player's coach" has equated to a negative output on the field. Now let me explain. I'll have to use other teams in this illustration so bear with me. Philadelphia Eagles coaches, Buddy ryan and Ray Rhodes, considered player's coaches. Couldn't win the big game and had limited success. Bill Parcell's, not a player's coach, commands respect, players buy into the system and ultimately have success. Our beloved Joe Gibbs the same way.

It seems as though a player's coach is one who lets the players dictate gameplan or strategy. Sometimes, this is not a good thing. I bring this up because I have read in many places that this George Edwards guy is a "player's coach". Now I didn't see the game on Saturday, but I have read that LB's and Safety's were out of position and overrunning plays. I'm worried that now there is a "player's coach" running the defense, the discipline that is needed to run the D won't be there. These LB's are to agressive and need to stay at home and they will get burnt repeatedly on playfakes and misdirections. This compounded with the fact they CAN'T TACKLE makes for another offseason of blame and anguish for us skins fan's. At this point, I think 7-9 is a stretch. Why? Late in a game with the lead, what will a team do against us? RUN!! What can't we do now that there is NO RB? RUN!! Michael Wilbon said in the post that Trung Candidate looked scared at times.

I'm sorry to rant, but I'm fed up with Snyder. Our team has been subpar since Gibbs left (10 years ago) and there seems to be no end in sight.
it is what it is

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:54 pm

How can things be so finite after one preseason game brother?

I don't know the answer to your question of whether or not a player's coach can make it in the NFL, but I do know that it didn't work much better for the Redskins when Marty Schottenheimer did things the exact opposite way.

I think Jon Gruden is definitely a 'player's coach' and he did alright last year. Only time will tell if SOS can make it in this league... and George Edwards... but you have to give the guy (Edwards) more than 4 quarters of glorified scrimaging to make that decision.

I think if at the end of this season... this team has not improved their record any from the previous 2 seasons... it's pretty safe to say SOS' methods aren't working very well in this league. Whether it's because of his attitude, approach, style or system, is for greater football scholars than I to determine.

What you really need, is to come up to Canada and stop drinking that watered down beer. Helps with... ahem, perspective.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby newshog » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:15 pm

Funny this notion of a "player's coach" should be mentioned. Vic Carucci addressed this very aspect of Spurrier in his column at NFL.com comparing last year to this year:
The Redskin players have noticed the difference in Spurrier. They still view him as being player friendly, as someone they enjoy having at the helm, as someone they want to help succeed.

But they appreciate the fact that he has tightened up areas that needed tightening. They believe he grasps the concept that guiding the Redskins is not the same as guiding the Gators.

"I think he's wised up to the NFL in a lot of different areas," offensive tackle Chris Samuels said. "He's disciplining the guys a little bit more, and I think that's what we need to win."

----

Postby HitDoctor » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:08 pm

BossHog wrote:What you really need, is to come up to Canada and stop drinking that watered down beer. Helps with... ahem, perspective.

I hope this team DOESN'T drive me to drink!!!!
it is what it is

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football