Skinsfaninroanoke you know we need Champ to...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Diesel

Skinsfaninroanoke you know we need Champ to...

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:54 pm

Gotcha...Just thought you might want to go a few rounds for practice :lol:
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:59 pm

LOL - you know - I love to debate ya :) I just think we settled it before - we ain'ta gunna agree on this one :)
Rich in Roanoke

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:02 pm

I think that's the best part we debate and stick to our guns and live to debate another day, we have agreed on alot lately (scary) :lol: Looks like we might get to go Prime Time here in a few
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:04 pm

Hey - I am easy to get along with.... I just don't think Champ is the franchise player... you do... ::shrug::

I have no problem smoking you like I did last time though ::grin::
Rich in Roanoke

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:18 pm

Considering you had a 700 post advantage on me I think I held my own. Sure remember lots of folks siding with the DEHog. Interesting word you used Franchise...what's that tag team put on a player when they think he's to good to just let go??

I see you need a little prep time to do some research... having trouble finding fault with Champs game??

(Isn't this the about the time we start shoven and pushing each other around) BossHog the new Don King :lol:

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:24 pm

BossHog the new Don King

I'd love to see Boss post a picture of himself with a Don King hair do!!
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:29 pm

No, I am a travelling salesman ::grin:: I don't know if I can agree on a time during this week just simply because I am going to be driving over 2000 miles :)

If you wanna stay up and have a debate at 2 am... maybe ::grin::

Boss wants research and seriousness... I believe he's right - we would look rather foolish just coming on and going "huh uh" and "uh huh" now wouldn't we?

Especially considering that the two of us accounted for 80% of the word count on the site that week ::grin::
Rich in Roanoke

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:37 pm

Yea your right..I have you to thank for getting to 100 post so quick!!...of course we will come prepared. I'm still new to all this but man I can get enough, I know I keep saying it but the core guys in here are hardcore and I love that. Thay know their stuff and don't talk all the BS!! I can't wait to meet and greet you guy and discuss football over a cold one. I saw a post of your earlier, you're asking for books and saying you been trying to break into something or some field ????What were you talking about????

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:46 pm

I would love to get into coaching. I used to play fullback/linebacker in intramural football in the Army. We had a terror of a team - all of my teammates and I were work out aholics - we worked out 5 nights a week and played racquetball on top of PT every morning. I was down to 4% body fat at the time - 180 pounds and had 33 sacks in 11 games :)

But unfortunately - I have no experience. I have studied football by wearing out tape. I have studied books from Arnsparger to Theisman. I love the game but have no way really to get into it either in writing or coaching - qualifications wise. I don't have any contacts, but I would love to do it.

Wouldn't you just kill to be the scout to bring a sleeper to your team that made all the difference in the world?

AHHHH... I love football :)
Rich in Roanoke

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:58 pm

Ok, of course I would. I coached my son at the pop warner level this year. I hope it's the start of my Football coaching career. My daughter is a cheeleader for the local high school here and it was tough to watch. They went 0-10 and score 18 points all season...i may be out of my league here but I have set my sites on that job. The coaching was terrible. I 'd stop by early to pick my daugther up and watch practice....that's when I realize why their were so bad!! I'm going to coach after the Air Force. What's stopping you Rich get started man..I think the number 1 asset a HC has to have is motivation skills. I had the smallest and youngest team last year and by the end of the year I had these kid playing great football we only finished .500 but we beat up on some team that beat us up early on..man it's fun out there!!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:24 am

Question for you Rich...my son is 10 years old plays WR/DB can you reccomend a good technique tape I could get to teach him the real intricacies of the positions?

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:48 am

There's lots of good info out there DE, and we're in he process of opening a football 101 forum in here to help people learn about the game.

We're going to open a forum for 'newbies' that is just for them. We'll 'sticky' a couple of posts of instruction, and we were also thinking that one of the staff would be like a 'resident expert' whom they could ask questions. This forum would ONLY be for newbies. We realize that there are some pretty intense football dialogues on here sometimes and that can be a little intimidating to people that may be less familiar with the game.

We don't want that. We want this to be a place for all Redskin Fans. Sure, we want the football talk that goes on now to stay the same, but we also want to provide a place where newbies will feel comfortable. So I'll be opening a new forum very soon, though I don't know how many 'extras' we'll get into it to start, but at least it will be there.

By the way, here's a couple of WR training videos:

http://www.howtosports.com/football.php

... and you always have the high end option of sending him to Art Monk's football camp.

http://www.footballcamps.com/artmonk/

:rock:
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:59 pm

Thanks BH, beleive it or not he loves Art Monk. He into the old tapes of the Skins games!

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:06 am

Actually DEHog, I don't have any vids... and I don't know of any - I am a heavy reader, and I love the books that detail the plays.

If any of you are interested in Defense and know the jargon - Arnsparger's book on defense is mind exploding on defenses - he is explicit and breaks every defense down like you wouldn't believe. College style and pro style. It IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS though and you might have to read up to that level.

There are good coaching manuals available on Amazon.com - quite a large number. I will have to remember the keyword search I did for it but once I go back and check it I will let you know DEHog. It brings up just about everything for football coaching in Amazon - just pick and choose.

I have books on overall offensive and defensive structures as well as a few on basics. I don't have positional books at this juncture until I get the fullest grasp on the overall schemes and how everything links together. At that point I will start moving over to positional analysis and teaching.

American College Football Association puts out several books on all sorts of various topics, just off the top of my head - you might try that at Amazon.

Once you find the books you want, be sure to check Ebay and Half.com for the same books that are a little used and a lot cheaper - makes it much easier on the wallet :)

UPDATE: you can type in football coaching and get over 6400 hits on Amazon.

One book to look at (nice that a lot of their books have previews online where you can see scanned pages) is Play Football the NFL Way: Position by Position Techniques and Drills for Offense, Defense, and Special Teams.

There are also a couple of books on Coaching Youth Football

There is the AFCA's Offensive Drills Book and another drill book by Doug Mallory. Spalding Sports Library also has one.

Stan Zweifel has a book called 101 Receiver Drills. Ron Jenkins has one called Wide Receiver Play - Fundamentals and Techniques.

You may want to do some checking on yer own - but that is what I came up with in a few minutes :)
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football