I come from a Land Dowunder

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Aussie Hog

I come from a Land Dowunder

Postby Amberion » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:21 pm

Just a "short" post to introduce myself

I am Redskins fan from Australia. I can just hear people wondering what a true blue Aussie is doing being an american football fan so far from the northern american continent.

I was first introduced to the game by an exchange student from Nebraska in 1972. (we have 4 major football codes here - Aussie rules, rugby union, rugby league and soccer) He was so surprised to find out we did not play (or even know about) the american version.

He introduced all of us to the basics of the game.

Starting the mid 70's , local television started replaying the super bowl. Not on the same day but the following weekend. Got to see some of those great Steeler teams. I enjoyed watching them but did not feel a particular allegiance to any team.

After joining a wargaming club, I started playing a game called Paydirt. The club started a competition based on the 1980 season and I was late joining in so was given the Washington Redskins.

We played that game for 3 years and with an expanding tv coverage I became a fan(having coached that team for all 3 years ) of the Redskins.

In Australia we currently get matches only on cable TV (Rupert Murdoch owns part of the network) so I get to see the skins about 3 or 4 games a year. The rest of my information come almost exclusively via the net

I am so glad to finally find some where I can get decent info about my favourite team.

My favourite players were John Riggins and Don Warren from the past.

Current favourite is LaVar Arrington

Thank god that Coach Gibbs is back
I am in Hog Heaven

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:27 pm

Welcome to the board Aussie!!!!

Where in Oz are you, I've got a good mate near the gold coast.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:28 pm

Welcome...nice to see our "weight" carries weight around the globe. Tried Rugby once...made me love helmets.

Aussie Hog

Postby Amberion » Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:02 am

I'm from Adelaide in South Australia

Nice site you have

I was in Toronto just before christmas

Got a number of friends there and other parts of Ontario

piglet

Postby Eddie911 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:44 am

Welcome Amberion
HTTR
The Football God has returned to DC

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:29 am

Amberion wrote:I'm from Adelaide in South Australia

Nice site you have

I was in Toronto just before christmas

Got a number of friends there and other parts of Ontario

I live just outside Toronto myself, in London.

... and thanks about the site.

HTTR

Aussie Hog

Postby Amberion » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:07 pm

My friends live over in Stouffville (they refer to it as slowville :lol: )

I like the clean look to the board

I admin on a Harry Potter website and moderate a Lord of the Rings site and I like the way you are running this one

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:24 pm

Welcome Amberion!!

You'll really enjoy this site. It's one of the best around.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:45 pm

Amberion wrote:...and moderate a Lord of the Rings site and I like the way you are running this one

That's an awesome trilogy... but it kind of sucks that when they make a movie about Joe Gibbs that the titles "Lord of the Rings" and "Return of the King" are both already taken :wink:

I moderate at a couple sites myself and I also really like the look and feel of this place (although I generally prefer vBulletin)... and the people are really great :)

Welcome to the board! :D
Robert :D

Aussie Hog

Postby Amberion » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:37 am

Robert K. wrote:(although I generally prefer vBulletin)... and the people are really great :)

Welcome to the board! :D

I do too - but this is nearly as good - the other boards I look after are vbulletin but this is easy to get use to

Hog

Postby Robert K. » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:35 am

Amberion wrote:I do too - but this is nearly as good - the other boards I look after are vbulletin but this is easy to get use to

Yep, this is definitely the nicest phpBB site I've seen. :D
Robert :D

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:06 am

i actually don't mind vBulletin, but the open source, 'free' nature of PHP is all that made it win. If you look around the site, you won't find popups or even ads (though that might change a bit) so we try to do everything so that we never have to charge anyone a dime for coming here. We know other supposed 'fan sites' that think once they start offering something worth visiting, they start charging you... we're doing everything we can to not do that.

There are DOZENS of mods added to the board to hopefully make it more functional, and there aren't really many features left to a vbulletin board that haven't been added to this one as a mod if they didn't already exist in the original source code.

Also, obviously almost all of the graphics have been re-done to match the theme and site.

As I have stated, I may change boards or change this board slightly, but I'll probably do it when I do the changeover. And for you techie oriented people out there... it has nothing to do with layout... features... nothing... it's because Google won't spider a phpBB site because of session IDs.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football