Gibbs Wants Experienced QB and 3 on the roster.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Gibbs Wants Experienced QB and 3 on the roster.

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:57 pm

Gibbs Stresses Need for QB Depth
Redskins Coach Would Like High-Quality Backup
By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, January 10, 2004; Page D01

As he wrapped up a busy first day of his second go-around as the Washington Redskins' coach, Joe Gibbs said he had heard only good things about starting quarterback Patrick Ramsey, and indicated he had no problem going with a young player at the spot. But Gibbs also stressed the need for high-quality depth at the position, perhaps opening the possibility that the club will be in the market for an experienced quarterback in the offseason to serve as an insurance policy.

Gibbs also talked about the need for a reliable running game, a possible reinforcement of the belief by some in the organization that the team should upgrade at tailback. Gibbs said he spent most of yesterday working to assemble his coaching staff, and he and the club's other decision-makers plan to begin evaluating players next week. They first will study the players on their roster, then start looking at players around the league who could be possible additions.

"We're going to take three days [next week] and go as hard as we can," Gibbs said of the evaluation of the roster. "All of us will sit in there. I think that's first of what we want to do because I think you get a different opinion. If you watch all those games in a row, watch all those players, and everybody is sitting there with 30 eyeballs on them, you're going to have a pretty good feeling for it."

Gibbs won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks when he coached the Redskins between 1981 and '92 -- including Super Bowl XXII MVP Doug Williams, who was the team's backup quarterback for most of the 1987 season. He was known as a master at getting the most out of each. Now he inherits Ramsey, a first-round draft choice who threw for 2,166 yards in 11 games this season as a second-year pro.

Several executives around the league said yesterday that they expect the Redskins to pick up a veteran quarterback, and some mentioned Mark Brunell, who could be traded or released by the Jacksonville Jaguars, as an intriguing possibility.

Of Ramsey, Gibbs said he knows "what everybody has told me. It's been very consistent. Everybody's said the same thing and been very complimentary -- extremely tough, smart. And then when you watch the film -- I watched four films -- I'd say that he has a very strong arm. It showed up -- all those things. Everybody has been very consistent. That's good news."

Gibbs said he isn't wary of relying on a young quarterback. But he added that he wants reserve quarterbacks on his roster capable of playing well if pressed into service. Ramsey is coming off foot surgery and the Redskins were left with two inexperienced quarterbacks, Tim Hasselbeck and Gibran Hamdan, when he left the lineup.

"Really what you want -- and I always fought for before -- was three really good guys because sometimes the most important decision you make is who's backing up," Gibbs said. "As you go through camp and they fight through all that, who's going to be your backup -- we know in this league, it's obvious that guy could be playing. I think all three of those spots are critical and I've always felt like there's a lot put into the quarterback position. A lot of other spots are critical, too, but I'm just saying those backup positions are extremely important. But having a young quarterback is a plus. I've done that before. The first years that we played [Mark] Rypien, the first years that we played [Jay] Schroeder, that was very productive."

Gibbs hunkered down in his not-yet-decorated office at Redskins Park yesterday and began the process of catching up on what he missed in his 11 years away from the NFL. He spent the day in meetings with his assistant coaches and other team officials, finally breaking just before 7 p.m. for a scheduled dinner at a nearby steakhouse. Unanswered messages stacked up on Gibbs's desk. When the group needed a break from the tedium of navigating the league's restrictive rules for hiring assistants, Gibbs said, he and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams did some quick X's and O's.

"Actually, we sneaked a couple blitzes on the board, finally," Gibbs said. "I've been thinking my whole time that I was out of football, 'I wonder if we could block that?' So I had Gregg put it up there, and it was kind of fun because so far I'm going, 'Oh, my gosh. I don't know if we can block this.' It was fun, that part of it."

Sources say the Redskins are gearing up for an offseason of heavy spending on free agents by owner Daniel Snyder. The team probably must rebuild its defensive line, but Gibbs said he wasn't ready to outline his needs yet.

"I think we're going to kind of lay out our list after watching the guys next week and say, 'This is what we'd like to improve upon. This is what we'd like to have,' " Gibbs said. "Obviously, we want to be a very balanced team all across the board. Now, can you get to that in a year? We just have to see. It'd be probably pretty hard."

The Redskins didn't have a runner with more than 600 rushing yards this season. There has been talk within the organization of adding a big-time runner to move ahead of Trung Canidate and Ladell Betts on the depth chart.

The Cincinnati Bengals likely will trade Corey Dillon in the offseason, and Virginia Tech's Kevin Jones could be available when the Redskins use the fifth overall choice in April's college draft.

"We've got to be able to run the ball," Gibbs said. "That's for sure."

Said Vinny Cerrato, the Redskins' vice president of football operations, "Whatever the coach wants, that's what we'll go get."
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:13 am

I was just grinning from ear to ear through most of this.

What a difference a couple of weeks makes.

"Actually, we sneaked a couple blitzes on the board"

Can I get a hallelujah?
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:20 am

I'm like you Boss - I love the fact that on the first day it was only a scheduled dinner that got them to break and that the other breaks had them doing x's and o's on the board.

What I wouldn't give to be there man....
Rich in Roanoke

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:03 am

While the entire story fills me with joy, the last line is what sums up the biggest change. Cerrato saying, "Whatever the coach wants. That's what we'll go get."

Are you serious, you mean Danny Boy isn't going to tell him what to do. Of course not, because if I was working alongside my idol, I would do everything I could to make him happy. He has already begun to take the back seat, and for once he can take a sigh of relief.

-Geepz

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:22 am

i really liked this:
"We've got to be able to run the ball," Gibbs said. "That's for sure."
sounds a little different than last year, huh?
the blitz statement was second IMO.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:38 am

I just love how everything sounds so different.

I'm left wondering if Spurrier is sitting somewhere thinking to himself... maybe I don't have a clue.

Run the ball.
Blitz.
Breaking for a scheduled dinner.
Whatever the coach wants.
Go as hard as we can.

Take your pick. It's like he's carefully planned out every sentence that a Redskin fan needs to hear right now.

Pure Joe... what more can you say?

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:54 am

Take your pick. It's like he's carefully planned out every sentence that a Redskin fan needs to hear right now.

Pure Joe... what more can you say?
ROTFALMAO it seems everyone knew what was wrong BUT spurrier.

:hmm: i wonder how many times joe lurked at thehogs.net?
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:25 pm

Don't tease me like that.

I hope no Redskin ever lurks here, sound off, give we fans a thrill... or at least drop me a line to let me know they were here. What bigger thrill than knowing an actual Redskin dropped by.

piglet

Postby davef » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:48 pm

Hmmm... seems like we've got a coach that understands the way the NFL works, like Joe Gibbs did... oh wait a minute, it IS Joe Gibbs! :P :D :shock: :lol: :o :) :) :)

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:20 pm

One thing that Chris Mortenson reported this morning on Countdown is that Gibbs had a "chess" meeting with Gregg Williams -- Gibbs would draw up his favorite bread-and-butter plays and formations from "back in the day" and then had Williams show how today's NFL defenses would go up against them.

I still like the sight of Thomas and Jansen pulling on a counter trey. I don't care if that play was drawn up in 2001, 1981 or 1941. If a 300-pounder gets a head of steam and is in line to block you, you fall down.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:43 pm

The bad thing about the article is that it basically spells out the end of QB Gibran Hamdan's tenure here. I know I say this about a lot of the guys but Gibran can be considered an exception. He is on of the nicest and most polite guys you could ever meet. When I was at the Eagles game, his brother, Bush, sat in the section across from my mom and I. We have aisle seats. He is just like his brother. It will stink really bad to not see them at camp if we pick up a QB.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football