Punts and when does the play end?

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Hog

Punts and when does the play end?

Postby doroshjt » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:04 pm

This is something I've never understood, on a punt, the ball rolls around a bunch and players bat it around, where does the ball get marked? Where the first punting team player touches it or where it stops rolling? Second, why do I always see some idiot player on the receiving team run up to the ball like he's going to pick it up and run when there is no chance of going anywhere, isn't there more of a chance in fumbling it then?

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:08 pm

I always thought the ball is marked right where the punting team touches it first, regardless if it rolls somewhere else afterwards.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:47 pm

Justice Hog wrote:I always thought the ball is marked right where the punting team touches it first, regardless if it rolls somewhere else afterwards.

JH you are correct the ball is marked where the player from the kicking team 1st touched the ball.

However this is actually a penalty for illegal touching, Thats where the idiot comes in.

The rules say

1. A punted ball remains a kicked ball until it is declared dead or in possession of either team.
and

2.Any member of the punting team may down the ball anywhere in the field of play. However, it is illegal touching (Official's time out and receiver's ball at spot of illegal touching). This foul does not offset any foul by receivers during the down.

The ball has been touched but no one has gained possession so at this point the ball is still live If the idiot picks it up and runs with it he gets credit for the yards gained. If he fumbles the ball then you revert back to the illegal touching rule, which gives the return team the ball at the spot of the foul.

The receiving team as the upper hand on all kicks.
because...
3.Rules pertaining to kicks from scrimmage apply until defensive team gains possession.

In the Monday Night game this week Seattle could have fair caught the onside kick and That team from Texas wouldn't have been able to come back and win

Source= http://www.nfl.com/news/rulesdigest.html
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby doroshjt » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:39 am

Thanks 1niksder that clears it up for me. I wondered about that for years.

Return to Football 101