Upcoming Redskins Free Agents.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Who is the most vital free agent to bring back?

Unrestricted: Lennie Friedman
No votes
Unrestricted: Ethan Albright
No votes
Unrestricted: Darrell Russell
27%
Unrestricted: Champ Bailey
27%
Unrestricted: Martin Chase
7%
Unrestricted: Martin Chase
7%
Unrestricted: Kevin Mitchell
No votes
Restricted: Darnerien McCants
20%
Restricted: Bryan Johnson
No votes
Restricted: Antonio Pierce
No votes
Restricted: Ifeanyi Ohalete
13%

Total votes : 15
Junior Hog

Upcoming Redskins Free Agents.

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:51 pm

The free agent list was compiled from Buddha's Redskins Roster Page.

http://home.earthlink.net/~wahoofamily/redskins.htm

Who do you think is the most vital to come back? I think Russell, McCants, Mitchell, Chase, Albright, and Ohalete are all vital in their own ways. I didn't choose Bailey because more than likely, we will franchise him and if we don't, there are gonna be a truckload of Cb's out there (Bobby Taylor, Antoine Winfield, Troy Vincent and many more).
Here's why I'm convinced about these guys:

Darrell Russell: From meeting him and seeing him, he seems more dowm-to-earth than Daryl Gardener, so there may be SOME hope when it comes to his contract talks at the end of the year. He has A LOT of talent and may blossom into a full-time star when his reps are increased.

Darnerien McCants: Darnerien is leading the team in touchdowns. According to his dad, he was getting interest from the Eagles and Giants around the time the 2001 Draft. He decided to be a local loyalist and signed with the Redskins. Darnerien has been used as a makeshift tight end his whole career and has proved to be more reliable than Rod Gardner and has taken the pressure off of Laveranues much better than Rod.

Kevin Mitchell: From what I saw from Kevin Mitchell in 2000 and 2001 when he subbed in as the starter due to injury, I was convinced (and still am) that he has the makings of a great FULL TIME starter in the league. He was an unrestricted free agent last year and he worked out for the Detroit Lions but wasn't signed, so he settled for another one-year contract with us. I don't think we needed to sign Trotter because Mitchell is just as good as Trotter and he doesn't require much of a salary. He wanted to leave the Redskins last season and sign with another team to win a Super Bowl as a starter.

Martin Chase: Martin Chase has been solid with us so far as a part time tackle and we are relativly thin at DT. I also recently read that after the Saints released Grady Jackson, they said that they regretted trading Chase this summer because he will probably be better than Jackson ever was.

Ethan Albright: The one and only "Red Snapper" has provided us the long-term consistency at the long-snapping postion that we have not seen for years. I took Albright's abilities somewhat for granted until I saw a segment about him and his snapping speed. He snapped the ball to the same area and at the same speed (about 26 mph each time). Seeing that segment gave me a new respect for him and his position
and I have kept his skills in mind ever since.

Ifeanyi Ohalete: Ifeanyi has been a key starter since last season and has taken over starting free safety spot due to Sam Shade's released. Ifeanyi is tied with Fred Smoot and Matt Bowen for the team lead in interceptions this season. (3) Since signing with the Skins as an undrafted free agent in 2001, he has been a diamond-in-the-rough.

Here's the full list of 2004 Redskins Free Agents:
WR 84 Patrick Johnson unrestricted
G/C 64 Lennie Friedman unrestricted
T (LS) 67 Ethan Albright unrestricted
TE 89 Zeron Flemister unrestricted
TE 82 Byron Chamberlain unrestricted
DT 96 Darrell Russell unrestricted
DT 72 Martin Chase unrestricted
DT 90 Bernard Holsey unrestricted
DE 93 Peppi Zellner unrestricted
MLB 55 Kevin Mitchell unrestricted
CB/PR/WR 24 Champ Bailey unrestricted
FS/CB 31 David Terrell unrestricted
FB 47 Bryan Johnson restricted (0)
WR 85 Darnerian McCants restricted (5)
OLB 58 Antonio Pierce restricted (0)
FS/SS 26 Ifeanyi Ohalete restricted (0)
S/CB 29 Todd Franz restricted (5)
OLB 52 Lemar Marshall exclusive
CB/PR 20 Bruce Branch exclusive
Last edited by Jake on Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:32 pm

My vote is for McCants. I think we can let Bailey go and get a quality CB in free agency. I'd like to see us try to keep Darrell Russell, too; however, if I have to pick just one....it's McCants.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

DM's #1 fan

Postby SkinsChic » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:41 am

Amen....we better get Darnerien signed or he's outta here and will come back to burn us next season. I know he would rather stay here...but would like a bigger role. Let's give him the chance.
Hip Hip Hooray!!!
H.T.T.R.

Terri
Joe Gibbs: Terri has a very good eye for talent.

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:25 am

I agree...I would have picked McCants too, had I the choice to pick 2. The guys been a rock this year, keeping defenses from doubling up too much on Coles. I'd love to see him back next year and not ANOTHER talented player that we've farmed, cultivated, and then sent out to a another team, a.k.a. James Thrash, Brian Mitchell, I could go on and on and on... ;furious;

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:34 am

man theres a bunch..... luckily a couple of the good names in there are rfa....if they bolt at least we get a draft pick.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:52 am

good post Jake....I'd like to vote McCants first, but will take him second behind Russell, who I believe serves a much bigger need...hopefully we can retain both and get Russell some company on the DL
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:46 pm

I agree with Tex Hog, although I love McCants and what he has done for us this year... we have a deep WR core and could afford to take the hit on losing DM.

The D-Line is another thing all together. Better yet, Jake should re-post this Poll at the end of the year. This way we can better evaluate Russell's performance after several games and see how valuable he has become.
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

DM's #1 fan

Postby SkinsChic » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:01 pm

Let's just say we can pick two...and keep McCants....::Smiles:: As far as how deep our WR corp is....well...that's debatable.
Hip Hip Hooray!!!
H.T.T.R.

Terri
Joe Gibbs: Terri has a very good eye for talent.

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:14 pm

I think we can all agree that Coles and McCants has been bring the bread to the table, while Patrick Johnson has shown flashes of ability. Cliff Russell, Rod Gardner, and Taylor Jacobs right now are not contributing and are basically "eating" up salary cap space. I'm gonna be a wee bit easy on Jacobs, given a preseason injury and that he's a rookie. But I've got my eye on him, and he's not exactly my favorite. But I still have to agree that if it came time to thin things out, Darrell Russell would be one of the first I would resign.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football