OffSeason Things To Do List (Defensive)

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

OffSeason Things To Do List (Defensive)

Postby The Skins Fan » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:31 pm

I. FIRE George Edwards
I think I speak for alot of people here when I say that--Reasons are obvious--pathetic gameplans, poor in coaching players assignments, etc. He may be a good coach but he cannot cut it as an NFL Defensive Coordinator

II. CUT--Ade Jimoh, David Terrell and you can throw Fred Smoot in there among others

III. DO NOT RE-SIGN BAILEY TO THE KIND OF MONEY HE THINKS HE'S WORTH!!!!!! I don't think I'm mistaken when I say Champ has had his worst season in his entire career..Granted he has played a little banged up...HOWEVER, Champ has been getting beat more than Rodney King (and Smoot, and Terrell, and Jimoh and Franz.....) I would offer him a modest contract around pretty much the same he makes now and make it a TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!!

IV. DRAFT AND FREE AGENTS--Obviously we need to shop for a couple of good Defensive Backs and grab a good few Defensive Tackles and Ends (at least one run stuffer and 2 pass rush guys)

V. Now here's what we need to do as well:
We need to hold onto Trotter and Armstead--If we can get these three linebackers under a good Defensive Coordinators, then all three could return to pro-bowl calibur. HOWEVER, if Danny-Boy does in fact want to get rid of them DO NOT CUT THEM-THEY HAVE SOME TRADE VALUE!! Now this Warren Sapp thing, DO NOT LET HIM COME HERE WITH THAT ATTITUDE OF HIS!!! (either though folks, he is a hell of a run stuffer...thats something I'll definately ponder on...I hate his attitude but he can stop the run...but he's probably not going to be worth the kind of $$$ that he is going to want

It all starts at the top--with George Edwards...I don't care if you have 11 Pro Bowl players on your defense, if he is the guy at the helm, then they will still look pitiful...The Defensive backfield needs serious overhauling but I think the front 7 we have only needs 2 or 3 more guys up front but with a good coach, I feel it has the potential to be a good defense. What do you all think?
Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!!

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:48 pm

I would not let Fred Smoot go. He leads the team in interceptions. He has had a better year than Champ.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

piggie

Postby The Skins Fan » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:59 pm

Yeah but keep in mind over half of his INT's have been because the reciever let the ball go through his hands and the fall floated down into Smoot's hands..i mean the ball practically fell in his lap..In times, Smoot has made a few plays but there have been far more times he's looked worse than Roseanne singing the national anthem
Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!!

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:23 pm

Keep Smoot and find a way of keeping D. Terrell. This guy plays his heart out on STs; at nickle and as a back-up.

Keep Trotter and Armstead. Don't back up the cash truck for Champ...decent offer, then cut bait.
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:21 pm

REDSKINMARK, I agree with everything you just said. We should try not to OVERHAUL our defense. We did that with our offense this offseaon and it would help us to not to overload on talent anymore than we have.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

ACSOG

ADDING FREE AGENTS

Postby ACSOG » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:24 pm

I completely disagree with your opinion that we need to rely on free agents and draft picks to improve our defense. Every year since Snyder has been here we have attempted at filling in the holes with that method, like throwing money at high priced free agents to fix everything. The one thing we need right now is patience. The best defenses in the league have had sustained continuity at least on some level. Dan Snyder and all the fans need to show a little patience and avoid making the same mistakes again.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:43 pm

I agree with some of the statements, however, I would keep Smoot. (Espcially if we get rid of Chump).

As for Trotter and Armstead, I think their days are over. Both should be cut...because the Redskins have some young LBs that I think could come in a do a much better job!

Just my My 2 cents
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:26 am

i personally don't want to see another turnover in HALF the roster..... here's my take...
1. fire edwards, or "demote" him, he was a good LB coach, not sure who'd be the best replacement.
2. fire my cousin vinny, rumor has it, rich mckay will depart from tampa in the offseason....gm's and coaches don't count against the cap, if snyder wants to sign somone to a blockbuster deal, rich would be the guy.. he built a winner in tampa, and could do it again.... he's a great GM, which we desperatly need.... hopefully mckay plays raquetball...:lol:
3. on the defense, top prority in the off season, draft or aquire a vet de and dt. add the best saftey we can get for the right price, draft or free agency. deal with champ, if he is too costly, tag him, try to get a good draft pick, and find one of the many free agents out there that fits the best, and sign him. try to retain terrell and d russell, give jimoh the boot.
4. on the offense, not really as big of a priority as defense, find a TE, maybe think about finding a tailback.
5. special teams, probably barkers last year, need a SOLID replacment.
6. spurrier, 2004 is your last shot, better adapt even further or he'll prove the critics right, the fun n gun can't work in the pros.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Postby Barnstorm » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:57 am

Who is out there?? Jimmy J, Fassell?? for next year

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:59 am

Barnstorm, you haven't left our cult/communistic site already?
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Postby Barnstorm » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:31 pm

Texas Hog wrote:Barnstorm, you haven't left our cult/communistic site already?

A Texas reskin fan? You must have been an ugly child and live in texas and You turned out to be a rebellious ugly man. Hence the call name.

Hog

Postby skins75 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:40 pm

OK...IMO

We definitely need to keep our LB core. Armstead and Trotter can contribute under the right DC. Hell Lavar looks lost at times under GE.

In regards to releasing Smoot I feel that is a bad idea. He is going to come into his own and be a playmaking corner.

I dont know what to do about Champ although he has not had a great year he is still a top corner. But his attitude has sucked this year. So I guess see ya later and good luck is all we can say.

We need to either demote or release GE. He is still a good coach but not to the level of DC.

As I have said before Terrell give his all but he makes too many mistakes (even on Special Teams). So if we are to keep him he needs to work hard in the offseason.

Just my thoughts.

scooter

Defensive

Postby Scooter » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:05 pm

I understand the frustration - but I'd keep Edwards. Armstead and Trotter ... babye. Terrell, are you still here? BaBye. We need Mitchell in the middle. We need another safety - Ohalate - babye...
We need a horse, a short, fat, mean horse to plug the middle of the line - Noble will be back. We need a DE who cannot speak english. That's five new starters... then if Edwards can't make it work - go. But the poor angles, lack of tackles and boneheaded mistakes can't be put on Edwards. Players play, at least they're supposed to play.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football