Dre Bly

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Site Admin

Dre Bly

Postby BossHog » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:22 am

After yesterday's turkey game, I most definitely feel even more strongly about not over paying for Champ.

Dre Bly signed a 5 year $25 million contract this season, considerably less than what Champ was offered. In my opinion Bly played a better game yesterday than I've seen Champ play for a long time.

Here are Dre's salary details:
$6,500,000 signing bonus
2003 2000000.00
2004 4000000.00
2005 4000000.00
2006 3800000.00
2007 4200000.00

This season is proving that we still have MANY holes to fill, and the more cap you throw away needlessly, the less there is to use effectively.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:35 am

he did play one great game, but isn't he older than Champ...and wasn't he considered a bust and to have been overpaid...at least until Thursday?
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:57 pm

bly has had a good season period.... just another reason i say bye bye champ, he can be replaced.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:30 am

Hate to say it, 'cause I love the guy...not to mention he came from my beloved bulldogs, but I'm also ready to cut him loose. Just not getting it done...period. Not for his salary. So what about Smoot...do we shop him around too...??? He seems to be the lesser of 2 evils.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:57 am

I'd keep Smoot. I really haven't been on his band-wagon early on, but I really saw a difference when he couldn't play. Keep smoot, Dump Chump...and sign another quality CB (or 2).
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:04 am

Smoot's ggod for the team as well as being a decent CB.

He is BY FAR the most vocal person on the team and his eneergy is extremely infectious. He's funny, his teammates like him and I think he brings some valuable intangibles that aren't always apparent.

SmootSmack rules every practice. The guy's a riot.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:17 am

I agree. Like Smoot and his energy. We need someone who can lift spirits and get these guys motivated.

Additionally, I've been impressed with his toughness this year. He's also tackling much better.
We'll miss you, Joe.

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:25 am

Glad to see you guys agree. I like him too and should stick around. After all, he was also taught by the best...Darrell Green.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:47 pm

I wanna see him stick around (Smoot), but I don't think he's good enough to be our number one CB. He's a top notch second man, but we will still need to replace Champ with a FA or draft pick rather than pin the secondary's hopes of a pair like Smoot and Rashad Bauman.

Bauman's really coming on though, so who knows what he's capable of. The way Champ played last week, and the fact that the season is over... I don't think anyone but Champ would whine if we benched him. Let Smoot take the #1 role for a week and let Bauman take the #2. The results might be disastrous, but that's the type of evaluating that needs to go on in a lost season.

If they do well... do it again the following week. Let's see Champ ask for #1 CB money as the #3 CB on the roster. Maybe he'd quit whining for a week and go back to playing football.

I do know that if this team floats Smoot's name around in trade rumors again this year that the guy will have every reason to be pissed beyond repair.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:01 pm

agreed....Smoot is a #2 corner and a good one...but we'll need to replace Chump with a #1 quality corner....and I also like the idea of evaluating and benching Chump for a few games, if not the remainder of the year
We'll miss you, Joe.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:47 pm

i like smoot. notice he didn't get beat bad or any stupid penalties in the saints game...... another corner equal to smoot, with a decent pass rush equals trouble for opposing offenses... i am VERY MUCH convinced that with only three seconds to throw the ball, even the best qb can't over expose your corners....look at carolina(one of the few defenses that made peyton manning look bad), smoot could run circles around both thier corners(not playing a "prevent" D helps too)
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football