Rush

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Site Admin

Rush

Postby BossHog » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:47 am

Again.. I felt i was taking away from the Six Strings thread so I started a new one....

skinsfaninroanoke wrote:For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica

But for my all time favorite group - Rush - who could believe that only three men produce such quality sound and for so long?

Xanadu by Rush is just an awesome spectacle.

Shame on you for not mentioning your fellow Canadians Mark :)

Neil Peart is the God of Percussion :)

Er... I did mention Rush in my original post...

And I'm Canadian, so I was curious if any of you liked Rush? Wicked band live... just phenomenal amount of noise from 3 guys... Peart is god on the drums.

Man, I've sat as close as 7th row at a Rush concert and even with binoculars I couldn't see Peart put down the drum sticks and pick up the chime sticks in the middle of his Rhythym Method Drum solo. Longest NP solo I've been fortunate to witness... 14 minutes, Copps Colisseum, Hamilton... freakin unbelievable. Lee and Lifeson went and had a nice break backstage while NP went berserk. He does one every concert but he really went bonkers for that one. Copps has probably the best acoustics of anywhere I've ever seen a concert so maybe that had something to do with it. I was about 15 rows back for that one and the drum beat could dictate your heart beat it was so phenomenally loud and crisp.

The only solo I ever saw that rivalled it, was David Gilmour taking the riff after 'the started gun...' in Time to a completely stupid level one time at a Floyd concert.

I have one Rush pet peeve. They have NEVER finished Xanadu at any concert I have ever seen, they always do the first half and then split off into something else (YYZ or Red Barchette if I'm not mistaken). Closer to the Heart may be the best lighter lighting ceremonial song in the history of concerts though. :-)

Hemispheres or A Farewell to Kings my favorite album, though Moving Pictures, 2112 and Caress of Steel all need to be listened to on a regular basis as well.

As for Mettalica and For Whom the Bell Tolls, I love that song but my absolute favorite Metallica song is right after it, Fade to Black. Can't go wrong with anything on Ride the Lightning. :rock:
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:02 am

I corrected myself ::grin::

I have been to several Rush concerts in the past, and do they put on a show - and the beautiful part is that their concerts sound as good as their albums. You can tell that there is some fine tuning or special effects thrown in while they are in studio, but that's it.

I've heard groups that sound almost 75% different than their studio cut albums and it makes me ill. If you have to change your voice or sound that much, then you are a fake, IMO.

I got tix to a Metallica concert a few years back when they actually graced our small civic center with their presence (not a crack on them, we just don't get many big groups through here) and the bass drum beat was incredible. The only one who plays it similarly live is Peart... that man is incredible.

I loved his, what was it, 127 piece drum set on their moving pics album. Sheesh - and he hardly sweats when he plays either.

Oh - I agree with For Whom The Bell Tolls and your Ride The Lightning comment - but I might be the one of the only Metallica fans who actually loves S & M. I have heard so many bad wisecracks about it, but I thought that sound was extremely excellent and would have paid just about any amount to see it in person. I love the combo of the orchestra and heavy metal - what a killer concept. That album did For Whom the Bell Tolls a step better IMO.
Rich in Roanoke

Return to The Lounge