Two Big Pieces Of News!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Two Big Pieces Of News!

Postby Jake » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:09 am

Players Happy With Spurrier's Return

By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, December 11, 2003; Page D06

Washington Redskins players said yesterday they were pleased that owner Daniel Snyder indicated Tuesday he "absolutely" would retain Coach Steve Spurrier for the 2004 season.

"I think it's real good," Fred Smoot said. "To have some of the same faces back around here is always great. It's another year to learn under him and another year for him to prove what he can do. . . . We're a family. Families go through bad times and good times. Once the good times get to rolling, they never seem to stop."

Said fellow cornerback Champ Bailey: "It means a lot because you want to keep the same coach you had the year before. Regardless if you didn't have the season you wanted, you still want a chance to redeem yourself and come out and show that this thing can work."

Spurrier said he took the development as "no big deal" after saying repeatedly that he planned to return next season but the final decision belonged to Snyder.

"Well, I guess it's good," said Spurrier, whose five-year, approximately $25 million contract with the Redskins runs through the 2006 season. "It's better than saying, 'We're going to make a change,' isn't it? Yeah, I guess that's good. Yeah, I appreciate that."

Spurrier and his players seem to be attaching great importance to Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys at FedEx Field, even with the Redskins all but eliminated from the playoffs.

"It's our Super Bowl," Smoot said. "This is the game we're going to rise up. This is the game we want. . . . I hate the idea of spoiling. I'd rather somebody try to spoil us because that means we're going to the playoffs. But I hate Dallas. I ain't trying to let them out of here a winner no way."

Redskins Offer Arrington a Long-Term Deal
By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, December 11, 2003; Page D01

The Washington Redskins have offered a long-term contract extension to linebacker LaVar Arrington, NFL sources said yesterday.

The details of the team's proposal were unclear. But the Redskins apparently are attempting to keep the two-time Pro Bowl selection in the fold for most, if not all, of the remainder of his career while also reducing his impact against the club's salary cap over the next few seasons. His current contract runs through the 2006 season and eats up a lot of the Redskins' salary cap over the next three seasons.

The Redskins are about $1.8 million under this season's salary cap and could put that cap space to use by signing one or two key players to contract extensions this month. The club offered three-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey, who is in the final year of his contract and is eligible for unrestricted free agency after the season, a nine-year, $55 million extension during the preseason. Bailey rejected the offer and the two sides said they would resume negotiations late in the season, but the talks have not been revisited yet. The team apparently would like to re-sign defensive tackle Darrell Russell, another prospective free agent, before he goes on the market and could renegotiate the contract of left tackle Chris Samuels.

The Redskins probably would like to sign Arrington, 25, to a deal of seven years or longer, enabling the club to prorate a hefty signing bonus over that period and make the contract salary cap-friendly in the early seasons. Arrington signed a seven-year, approximately $50 million deal (including a $10.75 million signing bonus) with the Redskins after the team made him the second overall choice in the 2000 draft out of Penn State. That contract, after being reworked this year, contains salaries of $6.7 million next season, $6.9 million in 2005 and $7.8 million in 2006. With salary and pro-rated bonus, Arrington is to count more than $10 million against the Redskins' salary cap annually.

Arrington declined to comment yesterday and his agent, Carl Poston, did not return a telephone call.

Arrington could be headed to his third straight Pro Bowl and ranks second on the team in tackles with 98 and second in sacks with four, but he and fellow linebackers Jeremiah Trotter and Jessie Armstead have been criticized for being caught out of position at times. Arrington's frustrations have shown, as he has refused to talk to media members in recent weeks except for his paid weekly radio appearance.

"When you're the franchise, that's a part of it," Armstead said of Arrington yesterday. "That's part of the territory. If you're the second pick in the draft, everybody looks at you. . . . You take the praise when it's good, and you take the [criticism] when it's bad." But the veteran linebacker said he sees better days ahead for his talented young teammate.

"I think everything will work out for the best and he'll get what he wants around here, get some winning going on," Armstead said. "He's smarter as a player. He's starting to realize that it takes a lot of people to make things happen. You've got to realize that you just can't do it by yourself. . . . He's starting to realize that day by day."
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog

Postby doeslammer » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:05 am

I for one would like to Spurrier come back, even though he did some dumb a** things this season, he is learning more and more every week, if are defense would have and should have stepped up a handfull of times this year, we would be cruising into the playoffs. I say give him one more year, what is another year of losing, we been doing it so long, I forget what being in the postseason means.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:40 am

Marc - I agree that Spurrier probably needs to come back another season. I think that once the offense gets a chance to work some more together as a unit, work another offseason together it might actually start coming together. If PRam can get it through his head to throw the ball, things might get brighter.

I just really worry about the defense and the inability, it seems, for GE to adjust. It realy scares me for the team.

With guys like Bruce finally retired, and some of the free agent pickups who are only signed for a year - the ones that didn't really pan out- gone, I look forward to getting some good people in place to bolster that DL.

If they do, there ain'ta gonna be any excuses! :)
Rich in Roanoke

piggie

Postby REDSKINMARK » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:22 pm

I too agree that SOS should be given ONE more year. If not out of a sense of fairness, then out of a sense of continuity for the team as a whole.

In retrospect, looking back at the O-line problems: With Hasselbeck's abilty to get rid of the ball more effectivly, it is probable that many of the hits and sacks P-Ram took this year could have been of his own making.

Couple this along with the running backs learing how to block better, may allow this offense to finally get on track next season, IMHO.

Also, if we can get some good/quality D-linemen in the offseason then maybe Edwards too can be made to look better.

:feedback;
HAIL GIBBS' FROM SO CAL. MAY HE BRING THE TOUGHNESS AND PROFESSIONALISM THAT WE HAVE BEEN LACKING!!

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:53 pm

I'm onboard, brothers.....but hope we're not here next year wishing we'd cut our losses and got a head start on starting over.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football