I want to be a Quarterback But...

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
+++++++

Postby Wysocki » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:31 pm

Clinton Portis wrote:...I'm a wide receiver mostly because I take hits, but I don't really enjoy being a wide receiver unless I get the ball a lot (which I don't).

hmmmmmm....this complaint reminds me of someone... [-X :)
I'm just stirrin' the pot and living in the '70s.

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:13 pm

Wysocki wrote:
Clinton Portis wrote:...I'm a wide receiver mostly because I take hits, but I don't really enjoy being a wide receiver unless I get the ball a lot (which I don't).

hmmmmmm....this complaint reminds me of someone... [-X :)

Well the to tell the truth :roll:

I hate not getting the ball, which is why I hate being a WR.

I believe I have big play explosiveness (who doesnt believe that?) And I should get the ball more.

But being a QB I have control. Being a WR you have to wait for someone to give you a shot at making a play, at QB its your JOB to make plays.

I can't possibly see the joy in being a WR when you don't get the ball, because you work hard, you run routes, you get open....

only to be overlooked for the other guy.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:40 pm

safety. just hit the guy with the ball really hard, take it from him, and then stroll to the end zone. :)
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:00 pm

hailskins666 wrote:safety. just hit the guy with the ball really hard, take it from him, and then stroll to the end zone. :)

Sorry, the only time I'm hitting someone is on an interception.

I don't think that will happen very often either. :roll:

-----------

Postby Smithian » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:34 pm

...Um. You know, I have been a bench warmer for two straight years... You learn to live with it, if worse comes to worse... :oops:
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:56 am

Tell the coaches you want to be a QB, if they give you a fair shot at it and you are good enough they will let you be a QB. Size in HS is nice but most coaches will use the guy who gives them the best chance to win. Actually most coaches will do that.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:15 am

You know, CP...your posts, they don't really reek of a guy that puts the team first, if you don't mind my saying. Mostly, I'm hearing "Me, me, me...I want the ball, I want control, I don't like this, I don't like that..."
I think there's maybe some maturity missing here that every good QB needs.
Tell you what. To me, attitude was everything. I never played, but when I was on staff, I saw the HC pick a guy for second string QB who was origianlly slated for secondary. He was quiet, a hard worker and the team really responded to him. Just playing catch during warmups, you could see that he could get some accurate distance on the ball. He wasn't tall at all, and his weight could be generously guessed at about a buck and a half. (It was a jayvee program.)
He never played in a game that I saw, so there's no rainbows or "Rudy" story coming here...just that it can be done, with the right attitude. He didn't petition for the job...he just showed the skills for it, and any good coach can spot it, if it's there.
Maybe I'm way off. I don't know you. I just respond to what I read around here.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:17 pm

tcwest10 wrote:You know, CP...your posts, they don't really reek of a guy that puts the team first, if you don't mind my saying. Mostly, I'm hearing "Me, me, me...I want the ball, I want control, I don't like this, I don't like that..."

No thats only me as a reciever. I mean I showboat sometimes, but other than that I'm a quiet guy who works hard and studys the books. A QB doesnt make a team good. The team has to work together. I mean sure I want recognition, thats all I ask for my hard work, but if I help the TEAM win, thats all I want.

I'm like any guy, if I feel appreciated by the team, I'm a happy and productive player.A QB is not a selfish postion, you have to work with others. Its not like I can pass to myself you know?

I'm not the biggest team guy, but I am a team guy.

Sorry if you misenterpreted my posts.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:36 pm

Still...keep it to yourself, and act like you've been there. It knocks coaches out.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:36 pm

...and try this, from another teenager who wanted to be a passer:

Always the perfectionist, Baugh set out to master the art of passing when he became the quarterback of his high school team. Using rope, he suspended an old automobile tire casing from a high tree limb in his yard. Swinging it in a long arc he would back off 10, 15, or 20 yards and try to throw a football through the tire as it moved from side to side in pendulum fashion. He drilled this way for hours, often practicing throwing on the run.

from: http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Baugh_Sammy.html

It includes a few of Sammy Baugh's great lines, such as:

The way the story goes is that at Baugh's first [Redskin] practice, coach Ray Flaherty told him, "Let's see you hit that receiver in the eye." Baugh looked at Wayne Millner, who was running a buttonhook pattern, and asked, "Which eye?"

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:17 am

I need to get me a tire....

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:57 am

I need to get me a tire....

Good attitude!

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:56 pm

Wow, I just saw the NFL Films show on Eddie Lebaron, and man that guy was amazing.

5'7, 165 pounds!!!

And this guy was one of the most prolific passers AND runners.

There really is hope for people who arent quite 6'0!

This guy is my idol.

Despite his diminutive stature – 5’7”, 165 pounds – he led College (now University) of Pacific to an undefeated season in 1949 and was named Most Valuable Player in the annual Shrine East-West All Star Game in San Francisco. Drafted in the tenth round by the Washington Redskins because of his small size, he soon dazzled the National Football League with his accurate passing and ball-handling wizardry. He led the league in passing in 1958 and enjoyed eleven productive seasons. In 1980, he was the NFL’s Executive of the Year as general manager of the Atlanta Falcons. Inducted into the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame in 2004.

More intresting Information:

Joe Theismann was barely 6-feet tall. Sonny Jurgensen was shorter than that. They've all proven that you don't need to be 6-foot-6 with a cannon of an arm to play quarterback.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:21 pm

Key words are 1950 something....there is a difference between 5'7 and 6'0. Michael Vick is right around 6 feet.

If you are married to the idea of playing QB all the way to the NFL, then go for it. I was a QB in high school, but I also played Free Safety. Im 5'11, but we ran a Wing Tee offense, that was built around play actiona and Running QB's.

I still think if I had continued, my best shot would have been at DB. But if you want to do something bad enough, i guess its possible.
The only thing is the NFL is getting so much bigger, that O-Lineman and D-linemen are up in the mid 6 foot range, it just isn't practical for a team to use a short QB, and players are only gonna get bigger.

The key is to keep playing, you never know where you will end up.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

piggie

Postby diesel44 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:16 pm

Who is the biggest (tallest & heaviest) QB in the history of the NFL-? Culpeper?
Crank Up The Diesel #44

Return to Football 101