Potential Coaching Staff Change?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
~~~~~~~~

Potential Coaching Staff Change?

Postby ii7-V7 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:32 pm

Washington Redskins Coach Steve Spurrier said yesterday that he believes the team must make significant changes before next season.

Spurrier said he would not provide the specifics of his plan until after this season. People familiar with the Redskins' internal deliberations said they expect the changes to include offseason alterations to Spurrier's coaching staff.

"It seems pretty clear that something different has got to happen," Spurrier said. "But that's for after the season."

Spurrier has expressed support for his assistant coaches, who have the least NFL coaching experience of any staff in the league. But he has declined to comment about the status of individual members of the staff beyond this season, saying only that certain coaches could have better opportunities elsewhere. There is strong sentiment within the organization and around the league that the staff needs to be changed. Spurrier's contract gives him the final say on the issue.

He said at midseason that he would consider adding coaches with more NFL experience at some point if he considered it necessary. This week, he said on his radio show that adding a few fiery assistant coaches perhaps could add intensity to the team's play.

He has said in recent weeks that he plans to be more strict in his coaching approach next season after his players often failed to carry out assignments this season.

Well, at least Spurrier realizes that a lot of the problems are related to coaching, and he appears willing to do something about it. I really expected him to be blindly loyal to his staff. This shows that he at least does want to win. I was beggining to question his commitment.

I would like to see a grizzled old Defensive Coordinator. I would also like to see a better GM but later in the article Spurrier states that he is happy with Cerrato.

I really think that a new DC, some additions on the D-line, and a sturdy running back can make a big improvement for this team.

I like that Spurrier is trying to find the right things, and is willing to look at his own staff as a potential source of the problem. I just hope that Cerrato, Danny and Spurrier (The Three Stooges) don't go out and try to revamp the offense again at the sake of the Defense.

Chad

~~~~~~~~

correction

Postby ii7-V7 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:34 pm

I would also like to see a better GM but later in the article Spurrier states that he is happy with Cerrato.

Sorry, that should have said that Snyder is happy with Cerrato, not Spurrier.

CowboyHater

Postby kkryan » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:02 pm

I believe the only changes should be on the defensive side. There are several reasons for this statement. First of all the offense had four new starters and a ton of injuries. It takes time for these guys to jell especially considering all the line injuries. The oline has played well for pass blocking most of the time. The penalties and sacks have gone down dramatically and we have three players on the line doing well with little or no experience:Friedman, Dockery, and Winey. I believe the line improvements have been due to experience nothing more.

The same improvements can not be said for the D. They need help inside and a proven coach. This group has shown no improvement and has not had the injury bug the offense has except maybe for Noble. By the way they also need to weed out selfish ole dinosaurs who care only about stats!!!!!!
Death to all things remotely BLUE and SILVER!!!!!!!!!!! Hail Skins

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:25 am

Then Spurrier - ever the rock of Gibraltar came out and said "I never said that" and "I stand by my coaches"
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby redskincity » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:52 pm

We should stay the same. If we swap out coaches next season we would only have 15 teams to go before everybody in the league has coached us ROTFALMAO
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football