LAVAR GETS "MONSTER" CONTRACT!!!!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

LAVAR GETS "MONSTER" CONTRACT!!!!

Postby Jake » Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:07 pm

LB Moves to 'elite' salary level

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Call it a green Christmas for Washington Redskins star linebacker LaVar Arrington.

While details are not yet available, ESPN.com has learned that Arrington on Friday agreed to a contract extension that league sources described as "a monster." They said it will elevate Arrington into a "very elite" pay bracket.

The four-year veteran -- one of Washington's two first-round selections in the 2000 draft -- is expected to officially sign the reworked contract by Friday evening, and details may be forthcoming at that time.

The deal is expected to make Arrington, who only two weeks ago rejected Washington's original contract overtures, one of the highest paid defensive players in league history.

Arrington, 25, was named to his third straight Pro Bowl berth last week and is regarded by Redskins management as a cornerstone player. The former Penn State standout leads the Redskins in tackles and, while not as dominating as a year ago, has performed at a very high level.

In addition to ensuring Arrington's future with the team, the new contract also provides the Redskins with much-needed salary cap relief for 2004 and beyond.

Arrington was scheduled to earn a base salary of $6.36 million in 2004. He also was due a roster bonus of $1.5 million next spring, and was to represent a total cap charge of $10.672 million. It was to have risen to $10.869 million in 2005 and to $12.013 million in 2006.

ESPN.com reported that the proposal rejected by Arrington two weeks ago was for seven years and worth more than $50 million, with a signing bonus of about $14 million. The club said those parameters were not accurate.

Before the new deal, the Redskins had about $74.15 million committed to next year's cap. Teams were apprised earlier this month that the spending level for 2004 will be around $79-$80 million. Washington continues to pursue contract extensions with cornerback Champ Bailey and offensive tackle Chris Samuels.

New From The Post
Arrington, Redskins Agree on a Contract Extension

By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 26, 2003; 3:37 PM

Linebacker LaVar Arrington agreed today to a contract extension with the Washington Redskins, sources close to the situation said.

Arrington was scheduled to sign the deal later in the day. The terms of the new contract were not immediately clear, but one source said the final agreement was longer and more lucrative than the seven-year, approximately $50 million deal the two sides had discussed earlier.

That proposed contract would have included a signing bonus of about $14 million.

Arrington, 25, was named last week to his third straight NFC Pro Bowl team.

His previous contract was to run through the 2006 season. But the Redskins wanted to sign him to a new deal that would keep him with the team for most or all of the remainder of his career and lessen his impact against the club’s salary cap in the next few seasons.

Under his old contract, Arrington would have counted more than $10 million against the salary cap in each of the next three seasons.

We have some money for this offseason!!!! (I hope :roll: ) Now I want to bring back Bailey and get Darrell Russell back. I may want Bailey back, now, but I won't be too heartbroken because of the quality corners available. Thank you LaVar! I hope you helped the cap this time! :wink:
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

---------

WOOOOHH HHOOOOOO

Postby redskins56 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:48 am

Lots of people have talked about players on this roster being selfish.... But LAVAR "LA NATION" ARRINGTON showed just how about this team he is... He could have easilly said, lets wait, and do this next year at this time, becasue he still has plyenty of time on his contract, but no... he wanted to restructure to help the immediate cap, and get his big bucks down the road....

What he did gave the Skins addeqaute money to resing Champ, and whoever else they are coveting on the market as well as FA's allready on the roster... DMAC told reporters this week that he wants to stay in DC badly, becasue the Skins saw his potential, stuck with him, and he loves the area. Darrell Russel to has made mention of sticking around becasue of the team's loyalty, but I guess time will tell

Lavar's unselfish act to decreases his money intake next season did exactly what he wanted... ensured that the Skins will have a better shot at keeping C. Bailey... On the radio this week, he said that he will do anything he can to help keep the young group of players togheter... the names he mentioned were himself, Bailey, Smoot, Coles, Ramsey, and Jansen...

So far he has made good on that... MY BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT CAME ONE DAY LATE... BUT SANTA DELIVERED IN THE FORM OF A PRO BOWL LINEBACKER FOR OVER A HALF DOZEN YEARS.... YEAHHHHHHH@!!!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football