Texans Set to Depart With Aaron Glenn

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
Junior Hog

Texans Set to Depart With Aaron Glenn

Postby Jake » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:23 pm

Glenn allowed to seek trade before being releasedBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

It appears that the Houston Texans tenure of three-time Pro Bowl cornerback Aaron Glenn, the third veteran brought aboard by the fledgling franchise in the 2002 expansion draft, is about to end.

Glenn and agent Jimmy Sexton have been granted permission by Texans officials to seek trade opportunities with a limited number of other teams, ESPN.com has learned. But if potential trade partners are not quickly identified, Glenn almost certainly will be released, possibly as early as Tuesday.

Among the franchises with whom Glenn is permitted to speak are believed to be the New England Patriots and Dallas Cowboys. It is not known how ardent teams will be in pursuit of Glenn in a trade, since he will be jettisoned if a deal is not struck, and would then be available as a free agent.

The 11-year veteran, one of the NFL's top coverage defenders for much of his career, became expendable last week when the Texans acquired three-year veteran cornerback and former first-round draft choice Phillip Buchanon from the Oakland Raiders. The acquisition of Buchanon, who figures to team with second-year standout Dunta Robinson in the starting lineup, provides the Texans two young cornerbacks.

Robinson was one of the NFL's top defensive rookies in 2004.

In addition, Demarcus Faggins developed for the Texans into a solid nickel cornerback in 2004 and was recently rewarded with a new contract. Houston also signed unrestricted free agent corner Lewis Sanders several weeks ago.

Beyond the suddenly crowded secondary, finances could be a factor in Glenn's departure, since he has three seasons remaining on his contract and is due base salaries of $4 million (2005), $4.25 million (2006) and $5.5 million (2007).

Glenn, 32, remains a viable starter even after 11 seasons in the league and, at worst, could be a tremendous No. 3 cornerback for some other club. In 2004, he started all 16 games and posted 63 tackles, five interceptions and 14 passes defensed.

The former Texas A&M star has 35 career interceptions and 142 passes defensed, and is among the NFL leaders in both categories among active players. Glenn has at least one interception in every season but his 1994 rookie campaign. He recorded five interceptions in three of the last four seasons. Were it not for his suspect hands, Glenn, who has scored five times on interception returns, would probably have close to 50 career pickoffs.

Selected by the New York Jets in the first round in 1994, Glenn moved into the starting lineup as a rookie and has started in all but one of his 164 regular-season appearances. He moved to the Texans in the veteran draft to help stock the expansion franchise in 2002. His career statistics also include 586 tackles.

Glenn was selected for the Pro Bowl in 1997, 1998 and 2002.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here .

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... 9705204233
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

~~~~~~~~~~

Postby air_hog » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:32 pm

He's good, but I dont want to pursue him unless he is dirt cheap.

We need to let our young guys (Carlos and Garnell) get a taste of NFL action so when our vets. retire, they will be experienced.
joebagadonuts on IsaneBoost's signature:
-- "I laughed. I cried. Better than Cats"

Hog

Postby curveball » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:48 am

He's signing with Dallas.
This space reserved for BTP......If he ever wins it.

skinsfan1

Postby skinsfan1 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:25 am

curveball wrote:He's signing with Dallas.

Looks like he's right.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mp ... nt/3153008

Hog

Postby C'fieldSkin » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:38 pm

Dallas has really made an effort to improve their D this year. Glenn still has some good football left in him. Good signing for them. And that sucks.
Still Loyal. Go Skins!

Hog

Postby ToxicSkin » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:38 pm

i really don't like the looks of this.
Advanced beyond all that you can hope to comprehend with 100% of your brain!

All Who Wander Are Not Lost......

Hog

Postby Primetime42 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:28 pm

Apparently neither will Ramsey/Campbell/whatever poor sap has to stand back there :wink:
"He's a playmaker, that's his label. They used to have strong safeties, but now they got another position: They're called playmakers." -Terence Newman on Roy Williams

Hog

Postby thaiphoon » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:43 pm

I wou;dn't worry too much about Glenn. Sign a FA past 30 and you're playing with fire. Thats not to say that some won't pan out, just to say that Glenn will be good enough to eanr the minimum next year for a veteran and that will about end his career in Dallas either next year or the year after. Yes this is pure conjection but it is just the feeling I get when I think about a 30+ year old CB who isn't Darrell Green trying to play at a high level. And yes he did well last year as the #3. But at some point his production has to drop. Most of the great ones do. And the smart money is on this year or next.

So don't worry too much about this one guys ...

##

Postby Clinton Portis » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:02 pm

Demarcus Faggins,
:roll: :lol:

Man what a last name to have.

swine

Postby statboy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:16 pm

thaiphoon wrote:I wou;dn't worry too much about Glenn. Sign a FA past 30 and you're playing with fire. Thats not to say that some won't pan out, just to say that Glenn will be good enough to eanr the minimum next year for a veteran and that will about end his career in Dallas either next year or the year after. Yes this is pure conjection but it is just the feeling I get when I think about a 30+ year old CB who isn't Darrell Green trying to play at a high level. And yes he did well last year as the #3. But at some point his production has to drop. Most of the great ones do. And the smart money is on this year or next.

i would not worry about a veteran , that will only re-enforce the Parcells mode of play

i would not worry about a veteran, that had 5 ints, 55 tackles, 9 passes defensed

i would not worry about a veteran, that will have glover, ellis, ware, spears, canty, williams, newman, ngyun, burnett, and henry on his team.

nope i would not worry
I am gambit. I have no life.

Hog

Postby thaiphoon » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:52 pm

i would not worry about a veteran , that will only re-enforce the Parcells mode of play

i would not worry about a veteran, that had 5 ints, 55 tackles, 9 passes defensed

i would not worry about a veteran, that will have glover, ellis, ware, spears, canty, williams, newman, ngyun, burnett, and henry on his team.

nope i would not worry

Love the sarcasm in your post. Glenn was their #3 last year. Meaning has wasn't good enough to start. His stats mean he was better than a typical #3 however (and he should be since he's Aaron Glenn). As for the defense, he might start on the team or he might not. if he doesn't he'll be the nickel and yes he will be good. But will he be Aaron Glenn of 4 years ago ?? Who knows?? But every player winds down eventually ...

Jerry Rice had 92 catches,1211yds,7TDs in 2002
In 2003 he had 63 catches,869yds,2TDs
In 2004 he had 30 catches,429yds,3TDs

Granted he was really old but that is a performance dropoff no doubt about it.

Every great one winds down eventually, its just in predicting when it will come is the hard part ... But what I do feel is that CB's like Darrell Green who can play at a high level well into their 30's are extremely rare. Is Aaron Glenn such a guy ? We'll see, but the smart money's on him being effective this year and not so much by next year as his career winds down.

Hog

Postby curveball » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:18 pm

thaiphoon wrote:

nope i would not worry

Love the sarcasm in your post. Glenn was their #3 last year. Meaning has wasn't good enough to start. His stats mean he was better than a typical #3 however (and he should be since he's Aaron Glenn). As for the defense, he might start on the team or he might not. if he doesn't he'll be the nickel and yes he will be good. But will he be Aaron Glenn of 4 years ago ?? Who knows?? But every player winds down eventually ...

Jerry Rice had 92 catches,1211yds,7TDs in 2002
In 2003 he had 63 catches,869yds,2TDs
In 2004 he had 30 catches,429yds,3TDs

Granted he was really old but that is a performance dropoff no doubt about it.

Every great one winds down eventually, its just in predicting when it will come is the hard part ... But what I do feel is that CB's like Darrell Green who can play at a high level well into their 30's are extremely rare. Is Aaron Glenn such a guy ? We'll see, but the smart money's on him being effective this year and not so much by next year as his career winds down.

I agree he's not the Glenn of 3-4 years ago, but by the middle of last season Dallas was picking people off of other teams' practice squad and STARTING them at CB opposite Newman. Glenn at 75% of what he once was playing mickel back is a huge improvement.

He may even see some time at FS. Still a huge upgrade over what was there last season.
This space reserved for BTP......If he ever wins it.

swine

Postby statboy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:41 pm

thaiphoon wrote:I wou;dn't worry too much about Glenn. Sign a FA past 30 and you're playing with fire. Thats not to say that some won't pan out, just to say that Glenn will be good enough to eanr the minimum next year for a veteran and that will about end his career in Dallas either next year or the year after. Yes this is pure conjection but it is just the feeling I get when I think about a 30+ year old CB who isn't Darrell Green trying to play at a high level. And yes he did well last year as the #3. But at some point his production has to drop. Most of the great ones do. And the smart money is on this year or next.

that 30 year old also had 55 solo tackles compared to springs 52, also they both had 5 int's. that 30 year old had 9 pass defensed compared to 7 by springs. the only thing better by springs was the 6 sacks.

side note: the skills are in close comparison despite their 3 year age difference. the only difference here is the cowboys will not over pay him. maybe if Danny Snyder did not pay springs so much he could have kept beloved smoot.

Hog

Postby thaiphoon » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:10 pm

maybe if Danny Snyder did not pay springs so much he could have kept beloved smoot.

Or maybe if they had simply let Coles walk and give back his signing bonus they'd have had the cap room to resign Smoot AND Pierce.

The point is that Glenn was the #3 on the Texans Defense last year. He wasn't a starter. Smoot and Springs were starting on the 2nd ranked D. Glenn in his prime I'd take over Springs and Smoot. But right now I'd have reservations about taking him this year and making him a starter over Smoot and Springs.

swine

Postby statboy » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:05 pm

thaiphoon wrote:
maybe if Danny Snyder did not pay springs so much he could have kept beloved smoot.

Or maybe if they had simply let Coles walk and give back his signing bonus they'd have had the cap room to resign Smoot AND Pierce.

The point is that Glenn was the #3 on the Texans Defense last year. He wasn't a starter. Smoot and Springs were starting on the 2nd ranked D. Glenn in his prime I'd take over Springs and Smoot. But right now I'd have reservations about taking him this year and making him a starter over Smoot and Springs.

i doubt if he starts in big D, most likely he will be the third cb or fs, either way he will come cheaper then springs and be a good pick up

Return to Around the League