WOW! Some harsh words from Merrill Hoge for SOS

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
... deep in TX

WOW! Some harsh words from Merrill Hoge for SOS

Postby Texas Hog » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:32 pm

be sure and read the last paragraph! I love it..."not a real man!" :)

Tuesday, December 30, 2003

By Merril Hoge
Special to ESPN.com

When push comes to shove, it's not always about the money. All things considered, Steve Spurrier's resignation as head coach of the Washington Redskins was the best thing for everyone involved. Remember, Spurrier already has collected $10 million from the Redskins and he made plenty of money while he was in Florida. This decision was about much more than dollars.

Many people attributed Spurrier's lack of success to the learning curve that goes along with being a new head coach. But this season, we watched first-year head coach Marvin Lewis turn the losing Cincinnati Bengals into playoff contenders. Meanwhile, it took Spurrier two years to drive the Redskins right into the ground. He didn't learn anything. Spurrier tried to do things his way -- the college way. Well, the college way doesn't fly in the NFL.

The NFL doesn't determine its champion by a computer, and coaches don't get to select their schedule or the easiest teams to play against. Heck, in the NFL, there are no easy teams. Spurrier never learned how to prepare in this league. He didn't even have a playbook, which is the staple of any organization. Spurrier never established a direction, and therefore his players never knew where they were going.

Ultimately, it all starts at the top, and while I'm not sure that Dan Snyder is any better, if he can get an NFL staff in place -- experienced personnel who know what it takes to win at the professional level -- the Redskins have as good a shot as any team next year. Certainly, they need to fill some holes, but they've got a lot of talent on that team as well. With the right coach to manage that personnel, some semblance of hope can be restored in Washington.

You can mask the fact that Spurrier quit by using the word "resign," but it just goes to show that if you're not a real man, the NFL will chew you up and spit you out. It doesn't matter how much money you're making, it's not worth it. You'll want to quit, and that's exactly what Spurrier did.

:lowblow: :thump: :lowblow: :celebrate:
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:43 pm

who didn't see that coming a mile away........ hail hodgy
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

piggie

Postby The Skins Fan » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:53 pm

This guy is an idiot. What the hell is he talking about

we watched first-year head coach Marvin Lewis turn the losing Cincinnati Bengals into playoff contenders. Meanwhile, it took Spurrier two years to drive the Redskins right into the ground.

They are two totally different coaches..Lewis has been in the NFL for years now and knows how it works...Spurrier came from someplace else...He didn't know what to expect in regards to how teams are and how they play in the NFL..that's comparing apples with oranges my friend

Spurrier never learned how to prepare in this league

I seriously doubt that you stupid piece of s**t!!! If you didn't prepare at all in the NFL you wouldn't even win 1 game. Let's face it folks, Spurrier gave his best shot. He just came up a little short. IMHO I think Spurrier put in 110%. It's not a lack of effort.

He didn't even have a playbook, which is the staple of any organization

Now we all know what horses**t that is. Let us not remember the media and everybody gazing at Ramsey in the summer after the "Quarterback School" and the tedious study time Ramsey put into Spurrier's playbook.

Now I don't know about you all but I think that this is just a big pile of human crap talking who don't know s**t.
Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!!

BarryB

Hoge Comments

Postby BarryB » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:03 pm

I think he made some vaild points. When I listen to the BallCoach in his press conferences, he appeared willing to blame all before himself. I will not completely say that the College method cannot work in the NFL (its basically the Run and Shoot), but you have to (1) work with what you have, (2) Win in you Division and (3) MAKE ADJUSTMENETS ON THE FLY. We can all make points about the differences in NFL coaching vs. College Coaching, but I believe that the College enviornment is better suited fof the BallCoach.

in the Cheap Seats

Postby Wingman » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:08 am

I will be moving Merrill Hoge to the second spot on my list of favorite Steelers, right behind Jack Lambert. Hoge is dead on with his assessment. It is tough to read becuase he is talking about the Redskins, but sometimes the truth hurts.
The Wingman in the Cheap Seats

"If you arent doing something to help the team, you are hurting it."

"No one rises to low expectations" -McQ

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football