Nunyo To SI

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Nunyo To SI

Postby Jake » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:23 am

National editor, The Washingtonian

Post Loses Another Heavy Hitter—Still at the Top of Its Game?
For decades after it reached iconic stature during the Watergate days, the Washington Post has been a destination job in journalism. But the recent exodus of top talent raises the question: Has the Post lost its best-in-class cachet?

The latest defection is sportswriter Nunyo Demasio’s to Sports Illustrated. Many credit Demasio with changing the Post’s coverage of the Washington Redskins from passive to aggressive in his three years on the beat.

“It’s a huge loss,” says Post sports editor Emilio Garcia-Ruiz. “I can’t begrudge him. It’s a great opportunity. He worked very hard for us.”

Says Sports Illustrated editor Terry McDonell: “Nunyo is perfect for us—a voracious reporter and a very good writer. We will give him the chance to soar.”

Demasio’s departure, announced today, comes on the heels of other major defections. Steve Coll chose writing for the New Yorker over the Post, in the process walking away from the chance to become the paper’s executive editor. Top political reporter Mike Allen recently skipped to Time magazine.

The New York Times recently raided the Post business section for Michael Barbaro and picked Manny Fernandez and Sewell Chan from the Metro desk.

Several Post writers resisted the Times’s advances—among them, Jonathan Weisman, whose business and politics pieces often make the front page, and Style writers Mark Leibovich and Libby Copeland.

In fact, a tally of recent hires shows that the Post is holding its own in the talent pool, especially in competition with “Brand X,” as Posties call the Times.

“The flow is going both ways,” says Peter Perl, director of newsroom training and professional development. “We are seeing the best and the brightest knocking on our door.”

From the New York Times, the Post has lured sportswriter Mike Wise, theater critic Peter Marks, and more recently, new deputy national editor Steve Holmes.

The Post has done very well in attracting top reporters from other newspapers, though the truth is, journalism today is a buyer’s market with a shrinking number of opportunities for journalists.

Among the Post’s recent hires, J. Freedom du Lac came from the Sacramento Bee to cover pop music; Dafna Linzer left the Associated Press to write on national security and weapons of mass destruction; Nick Anderson came from the LA Times, Anne Bartlett from the Miami Herald, Sholnn Freeman from the Wall Street Journal, and, to cover the technology business, Arshad Mohammed from Reuters.

Still, the loss of Nunyo Demasio hurts. Demasio, 37, came from the Seattle Times, where he had covered pro basketball. A native New Yorker, he started his career as a clerk for the New York Times and a sports reporter for the Daily News.

The Post hired him three years ago to help cover the Redskins, one of the most important beats on the paper. Most Washingtonians are Redskins fans, including the Post’s top brass.

But in the view of many fans and observers, the paper’s coverage had turned gradually to cheerleading. Demasio took over the beat last year, stiffened the coverage, and restored its journalistic core. He developed sources among players and agents and broke stories that angered Redskins management, especially owner Dan Snyder.

In the last few months, Demasio reported that star receiver Laveranues Coles was unhappy and looking to be traded and that Coach Joe Gibbs had undergone a heart procedure. Demasio got the first interview in a year from Sean Taylor, the explosive defensive back who’s been charged with felony assault with a firearm in Florida.

With Demasio leaving in two weeks, Jason LaCanfora will become chief Redskins writer. Sports editor Garcia-Ruiz said the Post will fill out the Redskins beat with a Post reporter for the short term but will start a nationwide search.

“We have a short list,” he says. “We have already started contacting people.”

—HARRY JAFFE
hjaffe@washingtonian.com

http://www.washingtonian.com/inwashingt ... /0916.html

Gotta love the originallity of Nunyo's latest article.

He lists Jansen as a left tackle. No no, Nunyo. It's RIGHT tackle.

And he also needs to come up with new titles:

Two Thumbs Down by Nunyo written on Friday

Two Thumbs Down By Jake Russell written on Wednesday
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:46 am

He'll fit right in with PK and Zim :roll:
JF got your resume together :D
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:57 am

nunyo is an idiot. i always wondered how he got a job writing for the post, and now he is going to sports illustrated! which i guess isn't even remotely surprising. especially with his clear anti-redskins bias (i guess that's what they are talking about when they say he changed skins coverage from "passive" to "agressive"... maybe better stated, from "informative" to "biased"...)

this is just further proof that there is never any reason to read SI unless you want a laugh, or "bulletin board" material to get you pissed off.

||||

Postby Redskins Rule » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:32 pm

As DeHog said, he will fit in perfectly at SI. Thank god he's gone from the post! And Jake, I can't believe he stole your idea for the title of his article......I didn't know he sucked that bad.
Redskins Rule!!!

DUMP SI!!!

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:45 am

Dang, can anyone be original these days?

His two thumbs are down by Dan Daly of the Washington Times

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:58 am

Jake wrote:Dang, can anyone be original these days?

TheHogs.net must be that ever popular "un-named source" this means the answer to the other question... Who could be "the source inside the Beltway"? is JAKE :wink:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:24 am

It should be noted (and by this I mean no offense to you, Jake) that Two Thumbs Down is guarenteed to be a popular headline given the situation. . .I don't think that they're necessarily ripping off you. . .it's just one of the first puns to come up naturally. Who could help but use it--I mean, how often does a guy lose his 2 thumbs and nothing else?

But who knows, perhaps THN is becoming that 'unnamed source'

(My brothers and I thought we were so clever when we "coined" the term Baltimoron, only to realize later that the term outdated us all by probably a good 4-5 decades, if not more. . . :?)
"I’m never under the assumption that you draft for need. You draft the best available football player on the board. ... Because, in the long run, they are the ones who will help you win the most games." - Scot McCloughan

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:14 pm

FanfromAnnapolis wrote:It should be noted (and by this I mean no offense to you, Jake) that Two Thumbs Down is guarenteed to be a popular headline given the situation. . .I don't think that they're necessarily ripping off you. . .it's just one of the first puns to come up naturally. Who could help but use it--I mean, how often does a guy lose his 2 thumbs and nothing else?

But who knows, perhaps THN is becoming that 'unnamed source'

(My brothers and I thought we were so clever when we "coined" the term Baltimoron, only to realize later that the term outdated us all by probably a good 4-5 decades, if not more. . . :?)

I thought my mom made that up. :hmm: :lol:

1niksder wrote:
Jake wrote:Dang, can anyone be original these days?

TheHogs.net must be that ever popular "un-named source" this means the answer to the other question... Who could be "the source inside the Beltway"? is JAKE :wink:

If it was me, there wouldn't be any false information in their articles... :-"

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

-----------

Postby Smithian » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:09 pm

He just stirs stuff up...

Wish he was going to Al-Jazeera or something where I didn't have to read his stuff.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

piggie

Postby Skin Diesel » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:10 am

I always thought Nunyo's writing was goofy. He tried too hard to use obscure words, and he really overused certain words like "jettison."
"Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions."

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:26 am

Skin Diesel wrote:I always thought Nunyo's writing was goofy. He tried too hard to use obscure words, and he really overused certain words like "jettison."

Wait a minute. . . .Jake you mean that Nunyo Demasio?! Please don't tell me they're taking Nunyo "Jettison" Demasio off of the Skins coverage! Not Jetty!!

Noooooo!!
"I’m never under the assumption that you draft for need. You draft the best available football player on the board. ... Because, in the long run, they are the ones who will help you win the most games." - Scot McCloughan

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:56 am

DEHog wrote:He'll fit right in with PK and Zim :roll:
JF got your resume together :D

Heard this Friday, and I actually thought about it. :lol:

Then I heard about the short list and figured I was already on it. :shock:
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:59 am

Oh well... Best of luck to the man who helped us plug THN on an almost weekly basis this year.

Hopefully the Post will go back to cheerleading for the Skins. Hooray!!!! :celebrate:

BEAT DALLAS!!!

HTTR
Back and better than ever!

Hog

Postby HailSkins94 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:22 pm

He sucked, and now he is going to a magazine that I wouldn't line my birdcage with. Perfect fit!
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football