Baby Back Ribs with Redskin Potato Salad

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
~~~~~~

Baby Back Ribs with Redskin Potato Salad

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:58 am

In case you have not noticed, we have a new tailgate recipe in the main page: Baby Back Ribs with Redskin Potato Salad

Cooking is one of my favourite activities. I collect cookbooks from different cuisines and use them. After the Skins and fly-fishing, cooking is my thing (and I do it far more often than the other two).

It is obviously different to cook for a tailgate than it is for a BBQ meal! As a cook, I think that the recipe has several excellent tips. Particularly cooking the foil-wrapped ribs SLOW to keep them tender and juicy.

I am not a fan of pre-cooking. But it surely saves time when you want to do is drink and eat as opposed to cook with all the time in the world.

The recipe is great but it does not say anything about the BBQ sauce, which in my view is one of the best parts. Everybody has their own "secret" recipe. I like mine spicy and smoky, and instead of water (water???!!!) I thin my sauce with beer or another delicious alcoholic beverage (Whiskey and Rum work great).

Any recipes for good BBQ sauces out there? If you show me yours I -might- show you some of mine. :lol:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

~~~~~~

BBQ sauce recipes

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:20 pm

Given that nobody likes to cook here but you may have to one day at a tailgate, try:

http://fp.enter.net/~rburk/sauce-rub-ma ... sauces.htm

http://www.recipegal.com/bbq-sauce/default.htm

http://www.starfishcons.com/pages/bbqsauce.htm

http://bbq.about.com/library/recipes/blsbrec5.htm

In particular:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recip ... views/2287

And:

Jack Daniel's BBQ Sauce

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 cup beef broth
1/4 cup Jack Daniel's Whiskey
3 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon flour
2 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic

PREPARATION:

Rub saucepan with garlic, discard garlic. Melt 2 tablespoons butter, stir in flour. Slowly add broth, stirring constantly. Add parsley, cook until thickened, set aside. Saute mushrooms and onion in 1 tablespoon of butter until tender. Add whiskey and thickened broth. Simmer several minutes over low heat. Serve over grilled or broiled chicken. Makes 2-1/2 cups.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:02 pm

I'll definately paying attention and taking notes.

I want to learn how to kick and especially grill. I attempted to cook some ribs and I was scared to eat them because I had never done it b-4 and I wasn't sure if I was doing it right.

I didn't die so I must be on the right track! :twisted:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby curveball » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:32 pm

C'mon, there's lots of people here that like to cook (or probably moreso like to eat quality food).

I'll even give you my latest simple tailgate recipe. Anyone can do it in 5 minutes of prep time and it's cheap.

Wrap a spoonful of thawed 100 count shrimp and some shredded or crumbled cheese (mix it up with bleu, sharp cheddar or pepper jack) with one thinly sliced piece of smoked turkey breast and one normally sliced slab of ham.

Toothpick it together and bake for 15 minutes or so then refrigerate until ready to leave.

Toss them on the grill just long enough to warm and serve on a hot dog roll with an avocado/chipolte sauce, which is simply throwing an avocado, a papaya and two chilpoltes in a blender with one shot of Captain Morgan's and a half a beer.
This space reserved for BTP......If he ever wins it.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:23 am

My favourite recipe is a combination of tomato sauce, molasses, Jamaican Jerk marinade, Jamaican Jerk sauce, and Demerara Rum. It is a bit spicy, only mildly hot, and delicious.

I have to cook that for you sometime people.

There are a few other ingredients (including some ground spice wood to give it a smokey flavour) and cooking methods (slow cooking, etc) but you will be 85% OK with that PLUS the cooking method described in the exclusive article to avoid any -BURNING- the ribs and the sauce (which spoils everything).

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:57 am

i could have done an entire article on the bbq sauce alone. thats why i left it at "your favorite bbq sauce". ;) personally i don't really have a fav, i usually try to do something new everytime i make bbq sauce. there's so many different versions of it, i never get bored.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:38 am

mmmmmmm.... baby back, baby back, baby back ribs.

Try adding a little bit of Liquid Smoke to your bbq sauce too!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:40 am

Sounds good, but as for the BBQ sauce...

Mushrooms are a fungus, don't put them in your mouth, haha.

One of my favorite/easy things to make is mini cheeseburgers. So easy, just take whatever ammount of ground beef you want, flatten it out on a large area, season it and fold it over and smush into a big square (more or less) then cut it up into even, little sqares (2 or 3 square inches?) then you've got a bunch of easily prepared mini burgers.

Buy a bag of dinner rolls from your local supermarket and apply a thin layer of mayo to each side of the roll (so the juice from the burgers doesn't seep through and get them soggy.

Then serve a big platter of burgers with some sliced cheese on the side and whatever other condiments you want.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:53 pm

hailskins666 wrote:i could have done an entire article on the bbq sauce alone.

Maybe in the future ... :wink:

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:18 pm

Whats liquid smoke?

Hog

Postby curveball » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:48 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Whats liquid smoke?

It's exactly what it sounds like it should be.

They condense smoke, usually from hickory chips, into liquid form, strain it, then bottle it.

It tastes like smoked tar straight from the bottle, but the right amount really adds to a dish.

Get a little at your grocery store, it's usually with the other condiments and sauces. Get the small bottle to start, because a little goes a long way.
This space reserved for BTP......If he ever wins it.

...unadulterated

Postby Hoss » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:00 pm

curveball wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Whats liquid smoke?

It's exactly what it sounds like it should be.

They condense smoke, usually from hickory chips, into liquid form, strain it, then bottle it.

It tastes like smoked tar straight from the bottle, but the right amount really adds to a dish.

Get a little at your grocery store, it's usually with the other condiments and sauces. Get the small bottle to start, because a little goes a long way.

It's good stuff. I use it quite often. Put a dash on your burgers when you grill or fry. Also good to put in the water when you boil potatoes or rice. Excellent with homemade bbq sauce. The possibilities are endless. =P~
People may not remember exactly what you did
or what you said....

~BUT~
they will ALWAYS remember how you made them feel.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:03 pm

Man, this thread id making me hungry!
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:23 pm

Liquid Smoke is great with a lot of things but as curveball said... learn to use it first, and use it in moderation.

I've recently come into the knowledge that SERIOUS hot dog eaters will boil or steam their hot dogs BEFORE char broiling them... so i thought... what a great opportunity to infuse some smoke flavor... so now I boil the hot dog in some water with about half a teaspoon of liquid smoke... let it boil until the hot dog is cooked and then take those bad boys to the grill.

Mmmmmmm....
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:35 pm

BossHog wrote:Liquid Smoke is great with a lot of things but as curveball said... learn to use it first, and use it in moderation.

I've recently come into the knowledge that SERIOUS hot dog eaters will boil or steam their hot dogs BEFORE char broiling them... so i thought... what a great opportunity to infuse some smoke flavor... so now I boil the hot dog in some water with about half a teaspoon of liquid smoke... let it boil until the hot dog is cooked and then take those bad boys to the grill.

Mmmmmmm....

Ok. So if you cook them by boiling them are you just taking them to the grill to reheat them at a later time?

Return to The Lounge