Lumsden Cut

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:28 pm

I, for one, am really bummed Jesse is gone. I certainly hope he makes the practice squad. I think this kid had/has a lot of upside so I hope noone else signs him out there!
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Postby yupchagee » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:28 pm

Who replaced johnson on the roster?
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:36 pm

I haven't seen anyone but I bet they were waiting to see what punters would be available to bring in the rest of the week and if nothing, bring Lumsden back.

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:59 pm

This begs the question - who made the decision to bring him in? I mean the talent evaluators have to come up with a name and make a case to look at someone (AND cut someone!) - These guys (or whoever) better find someone good or he (they) should be fired for a mistake like that. Johnson has been out of the NFL for a while and he only makes it through 1 practice!!!

I don't think that you can call cutting Lumsden for Johnson a mistake. If anything, this just shows us how little faith the coaches have in Frost. The mistake that was made was not upgrading the punter spot during the offseason. Because of that mistake they are now forced into brining guys like Johnson into camp to tryout.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:48 pm

I just like the fact that we are so upset about this guy getting cut. He was cut by other teams last year and he also had to have done something/or not have done something that the coaches felt he was expendable. It appears that he is the last guy on the roster or atleast was. I wanted him to make the team but really for the story behind the whole thing. But after thinking about it, this is the outcome I have come up with.

Hog

Postby Cooley47 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:05 am

This was a good cut. Not cutting Lumsden, I did not want him to go and hopefully he will go to the PS. But I mean cutting a guy who at best could get in at RB when others are hurt is smart when you can get a guy who could have potentially started. Shame he is gone, Knew he wasnt going to make it, became very, very clear after the Jet game but hopefully he will catch onto the PS.
I miss you 21.

God I wish we had a second round pick.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:00 am

SkinzCanes wrote:I don't think that you can call cutting Lumsden for Johnson a mistake.
You are right. We can call it stupid instead. We bring a looser who can not last more than one day in the team and had no chance to begin with.

"The special teams coaches thought the guy had some promise," Gibbs said, "so we decided to give him a little work today in practice."
Nice move Danny Smith!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

It didn't go well. He bobbled a snap during a punt drill -- an ominous reminder of his problems with the Vikings -- and wasn't smooth when holding for kicker John Hall. He left Redskins Park with ice on his kicking leg and was cut shortly afterward.
This move only shows a degree of frustration and urgency at the punter position. But I have a simple set of questions:

When did Frost convince ANYBODY at Redskins Park that he was good enough to stay after last season's performance (let alone the preseason) anyway???

Why did they not address this deficiency either in the draft or free agency before???

Geeeeezzz!!! I guess we can call it a surprise that we have a problem at punting, right? As if nobody knew... :roll:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

+++++++

Postby Wysocki » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:26 am

Punters have no sizzle...guards and tackles have no flash & dash...but collecting extra wide receivers and running backs - that's sexy...with all these skill players we shouldn't need a punter...I'm sticking my nose back in the Redskins business: Tom Cruise will now punt, and the price of tickets and parking will go up. Plus, all season ticket holders must buy a season's pass to Six Flags ...love, the Danny
I'm just stirrin' the pot and living in the '70s.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:30 pm

Wysocki wrote:...love, the Danny
I needed a joke today. ROTFALMAO
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:18 pm

Why did they not address this deficiency either in the draft or free agency before???

That's what happens when you don't have very many draft picks.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:25 pm

Does the U carry punters on the team? Surely we can use another Hurricane.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

cappster

Postby Cappster » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:33 pm

I personally don't care if Lumsden is gone. If Gibbs and the coaching staff felt they needed a punter or whoever else, I am all for it. There has been a lot of talk on this website about Lumsden but if the coaches feel he is not ready, then so be it. Don't get me wrong. I hate to see anyone get cut but this is the NFL. That is the type of business that they chose to be in. I have full trust in our coaching staff. We all know that Gibbs runs the show. If he wanted to keep Lumsden, he would still be on the team.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:40 pm

Cappster wrote:I personally don't care if Lumsden is gone. If Gibbs and the coaching staff felt they needed a punter or whoever else, I am all for it. There has been a lot of talk on this website about Lumsden but if the coaches feel he is not ready, then so be it. Don't get me wrong. I hate to see anyone get cut but this is the NFL. That is the type of business that they chose to be in. I have full trust in our coaching staff. We all know that Gibbs runs the show. If he wanted to keep Lumsden, he would still be on the team.

I agree. I can't say that I saw something in this guy b/c I didn't.

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:45 am

I'm disappointed just because sometimes you get a feeling about a guy, and you think this is one of those guys that if he was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and get a real chance... he could turn into one of those, "wow, where did this guy come from" stories...

Postby yupchagee » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:22 am

SkinzCanes wrote:

That's what happens when you don't have very many draft picks.

We had a number of late round picks. That's usually where you take Punters.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007