Lumsden Cut

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:38 pm

I was going to reply in this thread but decided to make it a blog here.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:58 pm

We had a number of late round picks. That's usually where you take Punters.

Right but when you don't have all your picks in the middle rounds then you are forced to use your late round picks to shore up other positions.

Hog

Postby DesertSkin » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:01 pm

Hey, I personally know nothing about the guy (Lumsden), but that talk on the board is very similar to the talk about Sultan McCullough several years ago. He made the practice squad and still didn't do anything productive for the team in the long run. The diamond in the rough mentality may be fun, but is not realistic. Which can also be said for the signing of Johnson. In the long run, it'll be a wash and not really matter. Neither of them really have a future in the NFL. Sad, but (probably) true.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:08 pm

Lumsden probably would work for some teams but not for us I don't thing. He could go to Denver and probably get 1000 yards like every other guy but we are too deep at the position.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:17 am

With what I've seen from Nemo (Ive been a big supporter), I think we should drop him and get JL back.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:59 am

DesertSkin wrote:The diamond in the rough mentality may be fun, but is not realistic.

That's only half-right. A small but important part of Gibbs' first Super Bowl team (including some, if not most, of the Hogs) were un-drafted players who wandered in off the street. I think it was Joe Jacoby who was nearly cut by Gibbs before Gibbs realized Jake wanted to try out for offensive tackle, not defensive. Scouting's much better today, but 'diamonds in the rough' still emerge occasionally in the NFL. Look at Kurt Warner. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't had my coffee yet and I'm drawing a blank.

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:27 am

Mursilis wrote:
DesertSkin wrote:The diamond in the rough mentality may be fun, but is not realistic.

That's only half-right. A small but important part of Gibbs' first Super Bowl team (including some, if not most, of the Hogs) were un-drafted players who wandered in off the street. I think it was Joe Jacoby who was nearly cut by Gibbs before Gibbs realized Jake wanted to try out for offensive tackle, not defensive. Scouting's much better today, but 'diamonds in the rough' still emerge occasionally in the NFL. Look at Kurt Warner. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't had my coffee yet and I'm drawing a blank.
There's Jack Burton....
Back and better than ever!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:43 am

I was going to reply in this thread but decided to respond to this blog here.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

####

Postby JPM36 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:24 pm

Personally, I don't think Lumsden ever had a realistic chance to actually play for the Redskins this year and be a contributor. Which is basically what I said weeks ago and was crucified for by the Lumsden fan club.

I think some members of the board just got carried away bc he is a cool story and sounds like a nice guy.

If he was really any good, they wouldn't have kept AJ Harris over him.

Just my take.
R.I.P. Christopher Wallace (May 21, 1972 - March 9, 1997)

R.I.P. Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007)

Postby yupchagee » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:09 pm

Mursilis wrote:

Bostic & Jacoby were undrafted. Starke was an 11th rnd pick. May & Grim were picked in the 1st & 3rd rnds respectively.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:44 am

JPM36 wrote:Personally, I don't think Lumsden ever had a realistic chance to actually play for the Redskins this year and be a contributor. Which is basically what I said weeks ago and was crucified for by the Lumsden fan club.

I think some members of the board just got carried away bc he is a cool story and sounds like a nice guy.

Just my take.

... and I think you continue to make the same mistake which is that some of us were talking about him EARNING A ROSTER SPOT, not making any huge contributions... and if you were at camp listening to the coaches speak about him, you'd know that it wasn't a 'fan club' creating the hype... it was jesse's play.

Truth of the matter is that he was hurt at the most inopportune of times and it cost him a legitimate shot. They kept AJ Harris because they brought him in late and they need a warm body to run the ball.

You don't have to take my word for it... we'll see when the practice squad is named I guess. If Jesse's on it, then all of this was smoke and mirrors so that he could clear waivers and make the practice squad.

If not, then it was just false hype from the staff and false hope from any of us that saw fit to give him the 'pop' that he was earning.

And crucified?

ROTFALMAO

Talk about a false sense of grandeur. :roll:

Maybe if you stopped trying to put words in people's mouths, you wouldn't feel so crucified. My 2 cents
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:50 am

Mursilis wrote:

Actually... THAT's only half right.

Jacoby wasn't nearly cut because they had JJ at defensive tackle (what? do you think JJ just went out there and tried to play DT without telling anyone?)...

The story goes more like this... the Redskins signed JJ as an unrestricted free agent when he didn't get drafted... he only got signed BECAUSE they thought he was a defensive tackle... Gibbs assumed this was so because of his immense size (the NFL didn't have any 6'7" 320 pounders at the time)... JJ didn't have the heart to tell them he was an OT... which was smart ebcause they already had a ton of offensive linemen. By the time the Redskins figured out that he was an OT, he'd been signed... was there... and got the chance anyway. Jake played his way on to the team... and the rest, as they say, is Hog history. :up:
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:55 am

Jacoby's is a great football story, but they don't make movies about linemen. :(
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:09 am

There are a couple of players who will make the PS on heart. I'm betting Lumsden is one of them.

Y'all may want to look up a player named Herb Mul-Key. Little guy (Made Pat Fischer look HUGE by comparison). Running back. 4.5 speed. Played high school football. George Allen liked stirring the pot, so one of the things he would do regularly was hold open try-outs a couple of times a year.

Mul-Key not only got a second look, he made the team for 3 years running, and he actually got carries. The Redskins version of "Invincible"... except even better! :)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Mul-He00.htm
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

####

Postby JPM36 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:52 am

BossHog wrote:
JPM36 wrote:Personally, I don't think Lumsden ever had a realistic chance to actually play for the Redskins this year and be a contributor. Which is basically what I said weeks ago and was crucified for by the Lumsden fan club.

Just my take.

... and I think you continue to make the same mistake which is that some of us were talking about him EARNING A ROSTER SPOT, not making any huge contributions... and if you were at camp listening to the coaches speak about him, you'd know that it wasn't a 'fan club' creating the hype... it was jesse's play.

Truth of the matter is that he was hurt at the most inopportune of times and it cost him a legitimate shot. They kept AJ Harris because they brought him in late and they need a warm body to run the ball.

You don't have to take my word for it... we'll see when the practice squad is named I guess. If Jesse's on it, then all of this was smoke and mirrors so that he could clear waivers and make the practice squad.

If not, then it was just false hype from the staff and false hope from any of us that saw fit to give him the 'pop' that he was earning.

And crucified?

ROTFALMAO

Talk about a false sense of grandeur. :roll:

Maybe if you stopped trying to put words in people's mouths, you wouldn't feel so crucified. My 2 cents

I was at camp and I saw Lumsden play. I'm just not the type who gets all carried away over watching drills in August. There were people on this board ready to give Cartwright's spot to Lumsden because he looked good in a scrimmage and I said I thought that was ridiculous and would not happen. Obviously the coaches agree with me.

I was also at the two preseason games where I saw him get one carry in the first game and not even be on the roster in the 2nd game.

I really have no problem with Jesse personally. I just think that there were people on here who got really, really carried away about a guy who appears to have never been in the Redskins plans for the regular season, or the preseason for that matter.

I don't even know this can be argued with, seeing as how he touched the ball like 3 times in the preseason before being cut before the last game but I'm sure you'll find a way.

He's your boy so I know you have to defend him, but it looks like I was right about the guy all along....

I'm ready to move on from him and this whole debate if you are. The season is about to start and Lumsden's not even here right now so what's the point?
R.I.P. Christopher Wallace (May 21, 1972 - March 9, 1997)

R.I.P. Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007)

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007