Question about Stats

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
+++

Question about Stats

Postby NikiH » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:14 pm

If someone sacks the QB and while taking him down strips the ball to force a fumble, does this not count as a sack?
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

Junior Hog

Re: Question about Stats

Postby Jake » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:01 pm

NikiH wrote:If someone sacks the QB and while taking him down strips the ball to force a fumble, does this not count as a sack?

It's like a fumble before being tackled. It won't count as sack but as a fumble.

A sack is when the QB is taken down with possession of the ball. When he loses possession before being taken down then it's a fumble.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

piglet

Postby Arionquinn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:18 pm

I thought that they called it a "Strip Sack"?

I know that in my NCAA Football 2004 game, I get credit for a sack when I cause a fumble, I think they may.
Every Sunday, I root for two teams: The Redskins, and anyone playing the Cowboys

Hog

Postby HailSkins94 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:48 pm

It's a sack and a fumble, even if the QB doesnt get completely tackled.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:08 pm

HailSkins94 wrote:It's a sack and a fumble, even if the QB doesnt get completely tackled.

A sack is a tackle of the quarterback behind his line of scrimmage.

A fumble is when a ball carrier loses possession by dropping the ball or having it knocked away before a play ends; the first player to regain possession of the loose ball is said to make the recovery , and his team becomes the offense.

A tackle results from contacting a ball carrier to cause him to touch the ground with any part of his body except his hands, thereby ending the play.

NikiH wrote:If someone sacks the QB and while taking him down strips the ball to force a fumble, does this not count as a sack?

Like Jake said there is not "tackle", therefore no "sack", there is a stat for force fumbles that the player would get credit for.

My question is a follow up (just to keep this going)

If the QB recovers the fumble while still behind the line of scrim. and is taken down by the same defender that caused the fumble, will he then get credit for a sack or is it just a tackle behind the LOS
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

+++

Postby NikiH » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:15 pm

See as far as stats go, I believe if the ball is stripped from a QB while he is still in the pocket, the defender should not only get credit for the forced fumble but also the sack. Even though it doesn't meet the definition fully, they measure the amount of pressure a defense puts on a QB by sacks. This is my entire reasoning for asking.
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:18 pm

NikiH wrote:See as far as stats go, I believe if the ball is stripped from a QB while he is still in the pocket, the defender should not only get credit for the forced fumble but also the sack. Even though it doesn't meet the definition fully, they measure the amount of pressure a defense puts on a QB by sacks. This is my entire reasoning for asking.

Teams also tracks QB hurries and knockdowns, they don't show up in the statsheets that most of us see
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to Football 101