We want to do something good...

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Site Admin

We want to do something good...

Postby BossHog » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:50 pm

... considering all the bad vibes in Redskin-land right now.

That isn't an indictment of anyone or their opinions... in fact, it really has absolutely nothing to do with Redskins football except that I want to utilize Redskin fans to find a little good in themselves as we come up on the holiday season. I know that there hasn't been a lot to cheer about for we burgundy and gold faithful, but that doesn't mean we can't spread a little good cheer amongst the anguish does it?

So... here's what this thread is about and what I would like to do... there is a charity called Toys For Tots that collects toys and distributes them to children at Christmas who might not otherwise be fortunate enough to get anything for Christmas. I think this is a great cause and know that many of you are likely aware of the organization or have dropped off a toy at some point in the past somewhere to support such a charity.

Last year, another fan site, a non Redskin site (i think it was a panther's site) conducted a toy drive at a few of their tailgate parties and collected a bunch of toys for Toys For Tots... they collected bikes. :shock:

Awesome effort on their part, and i will re-post a link to the site for proper credit when I can remember who it was... but anyway... we'd like to do the same thing this year. Well sort of... we don't want to do bikes but we do want to collect some toys... we were actually thinking that we would request teddy bears... they're smaller, they can be enjoyed by boys and girls, and hopefully it'll encourage people to bring a couple if they are so inclined.

What we are going to do is collect teddy bears (or any toy you bring) at our tailgate parties on DECEMBER 3RD against the Falcons, and DECEMBER 10TH against the Eagles. We ask that you bring a teddy bear but by all means, all toy donations will be kindly received.

We are going to arrange to present the toys to Toys For Tots, perhaps through the Washington Capitals as they have a drive for Toys For Tots as well and maybe we can co-ordinate something with them.

A couple of other little extras about the drive... I am actually going to be in attendance at both tailgates. I don't get many opportunities to get down during the season, but I'm coming down for the Falcons and Eagles game (with taz of course). We'd like to meet any of you that we've never met, as well as those that we have, and we'd sure like all of you that go to the games to stop by and visit... both to say hello and to help us collect some toys.

Of course Isaac's will be serving up food to everyone on our Freedom Grill, and of course the Hogettes will also be in attendance as well... but taz and i hope a bunch of you can come on down and help me make my visit a big party... the more the merrier. I know that the team's play may not have inspired much joy in you lately, but why should we let that get in the way of getting together and having a good time before we go into th game. We'll be in the same spot in section a75 of the green lot... and everyone's welcome to come by. You don't have to bring anything with you but yourself and perhaps something to drink, but it'd be great if you could bring a teddy bear to help us support this great charity. I suppose we may eventually run out of food, so you can bring some barbecuables if you're so inclined.

As an added incentive... I have two boxes of some neat little Redskins Santa christmas tree ornaments... I'll post a pic here if I can find one... and I'm going to give about the first 50 people that give me a teddy bear a Redskins Santa ornament in exchange. Hopefully you'll just see it as a fair swap and help us make a more meaningful contribution. We'd really like to put together a few hundred teddy bears over the two weeks of collecting.

What do you guys think?

Can we get some support from you? We just want to help make a better Christmas for some less fortunate kids. What could be a better cause over the Christmas holidays?

I'll post more details to this thread as we shake them out, and I'll also probably sneak a mention of it into the B.Lloyd show this week or next. So keep watching and listening for details, and thanks for your attention.

Maybe doing something good will help us forget a little about the doom and gloom of the 2006 Redskins season. My 2 cents

Any ideas you have to collect more toys are appreciated, and I hope you'll help us support a worthy cause.

Thanks again.
Last edited by BossHog on Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

mursilis

Re: I want to do something good...

Postby Mursilis » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:54 pm

BossHog wrote: What do you guys think?

=D> :up: \:D/

Top notch idea, that's what I think! Another great idea from the best Redskins fan site on the web.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:56 pm

I'll try to get a shot of one of the Santa's and post them this afternoon or tomorrow. They are pretty nice. We thought we could just hand them out to kids initially, but it says not to let kids play with them on the package. ;furious;
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Nice thought BH - hope you and taz have a good time and get lots of toys.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:06 pm

Great idea.

I will bring some if I have extras.

I hope this is a success. Kids in those situations deserve to be happy and while a teddy bear or a toy may not cure all their problems, it sure would make them feel appreciated by people from the outside.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:14 am

Jake wrote:Great idea.

:oops:

We're only looking for new toys.

Besides we wouldn't dream of taking one of your existing ones.

DM's #1 fan

Postby SkinsChic » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:28 am

They used to have the Marines at Fed Ex Collectiing for Toys for Tots every year. The past few they have not and I've even called the stadium and Redskins to find out "which game" to bring the toys to. Never got an answer as to why they don't anymore so this will be good.

When out shopping yesterday I picked an angel off a tree for the Salvation Army and shopped for her (a 1 year old). It was fun to be able to help out a family who needed it for this little girl.

Will gladly bring a Teddy or two to the tailgate.

I think what Jake meant was if he had extra money to buy new ones.
Hip Hip Hooray!!!
H.T.T.R.

Terri
Joe Gibbs: Terri has a very good eye for talent.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:26 pm

Great cause. I will contribute.

Some (perhaps silly) questions:

Do the toys have to be wrapped up to be considered new?

Would you take money instead?

What time will you start the drive on Sunday?
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:08 pm

admin wrote:Besides we wouldn't dream of taking one of your existing ones.

BH would not want us to spend any sleepless nights crying over our missing toys. :cry:

ROTFALMAO
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:24 pm

admin wrote:
Jake wrote:Great idea.

:oops:

We're only looking for new toys.

Besides we wouldn't dream of taking one of your existing ones.

:lol:

Haha, whoops. I'll do my darndest to bring some new ones.

Besides, I would have cried having to hand in my Redskin teddies. :-(
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:19 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:Great cause. I will contribute.

Some (perhaps silly) questions:

Do the toys have to be wrapped up to be considered new?

Would you take money instead?

What time will you start the drive on Sunday?

They're supposed to be 'wrapped' but I'm not sure what that means when it comes to plush toys as many never come 'wrapped'... I'll try find out from TFT this week and let everyone know.

We'll collect toys the whole time we're tailgating but we'll say from about 9:30a-11:45a on Dec 3rd and Dec.12th.

If you'd like to make a donation to THN to be used FOR the Toys For Tots drive, then just make a donation to the website from the button on the ain site and add something to the comments field of the pay pal donation. We'll be glad to take the money and buy some more toys for the drive with your donation. We may be buying a fair few ourselves... which brings up an interesting little point...

... anyone on the board work for a toy company? Or for someone that could give us a friendly price on some toys for charity? :wink:

We'd really appreciate your support. Help THN put a strong foot forward and make a really meaningful donation. Thanks.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:22 pm

Oh, and as for the 'Redskins Santa' we'll be giving the first 50 or so people who donate a toy...

You can move his arms and his legs, and the football and pennant are removable. I believe they're about 8 inches tall. They're cute. :-) We hope that it encourages some of you to bring a couple of toys. :up:

DM's #1 fan

Postby SkinsChic » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:54 am

BossHog wrote:Oh, and as for the 'Redskins Santa' we'll be giving the first 50 or so people who donate a toy...

You can move his arms and his legs, and the football and pennant are removable. I believe they're about 8 inches tall. They're cute. :-) We hope that it encourages some of you to bring a couple of toys. :up:

Oh...I love this Santa - saw him at Training Camp....Hoping to be one of the first so I can own one. :D
Hip Hip Hooray!!!
H.T.T.R.

Terri
Joe Gibbs: Terri has a very good eye for talent.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:56 am

BossHog wrote:Oh, and as for the 'Redskins Santa' we'll be giving the first 50 or so people who donate a toy...

I made an onlne donation. Does that count towards a Santa?

I made a donation because US Immigration treats me like a criminal or a terrorist -every- time I fly into the USA (not only me by the way. So, it is not personal). A couple of Teddy Bears might look like a very suspicious conduit to transfer something bad into Ronald Reagan National Airport well within the eyesight of the Pentagon and the White House ...

You know the airmarshall would jump on anybody that stands up to go to the washroom a few minutes before landing and we go through -three- layers of security from Canada to DC, right?

By the way, I fly so often that I have gotten good at determining who is the airmarshall in the flight (sometimes). It helps when it is the same guy. :wink: I am grateful for his work and thankful for his service.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:24 pm

Thanks for the generous donation RiC... for sure we'll make sure you get a santa. :up:

What I'll do is post a picture of the toys we were able to buy with your donation specifically so you know that the money was put to good use. I'll post it in this thread. Thanks again.

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006