Official Panthers vs Redskins Postgame Discussion

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:06 am

REDEEMEDSKIN wrote:
I did not think they could pull it off, but Campbell was solid...

I like the kid, and I'm glad he was able to help the team win in the end, but he made too many errant throws yesterday (AT HOME) to really say he was "solid".

True, but how long has he had to work on his timing with his receivers? If these issues continue next season, we should be concerned, but I think his accuracy will pick up with time. I believe he said the season-long completion percentage record his senior year at Auburn. Having a cannon of an arm is worthless if a QB can't be accurate, but I think that with time, JC will demonstrate power and accuracy.

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:32 am

Mursilis wrote:Having a cannon of an arm is worthless if a QB can't be accurate, but I think that with time, JC will demonstrate power and accuracy.

And THAT will be deadly!!! All hail JC!!! :up:
Back and better than ever!

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:31 am

I LOVE the new Jumbo package. With Koz helping Samuels and Mike Pucillo in at TE helping Jansen, we have got a kick-butt power running formation. :rock:
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:38 am

I arrived at the start of the 2nd quarter. I heard he had a good scramble in the first which lit up the crowd, but from what I witnessed, he still has to hone in the cannon of an arm he has.

Of course, it IS his second start, and I'm gladd he's a .500 QB for his career. However, I was more impressed by his performance in Tampa than what he did yesterday.

On Postgame Live they asked Campbell about the overthrows and he attributed to being a little too pumped up, especially after the long run for the first down.

I was actually more impressed with the way he played yesterday than in Tampa. The numbers were better against Tampa, but the way he bounced back after the int was what really impressed me. Things weren't going as smoothly for him yesterday (overthrows, dropped passes, int) as they did against the Bucs, yet he didn't let any of that faze him and he stepped up and made plays to win the game when he needed to. That means a lot more than a few errant passes.
"Archuletta on the sidelines is a plus for Redskins fans" - Brian Mitchell

Hog

Postby DCGloryYears828791 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:00 pm

No matter who you are, you have to be impressed by a 4th quarter comeback from a kid starting his second game, against the Panthers 6'4" defense.

Also, i want to give props to B Lloyd for following Cooley on the TD catch, and pushing out the last Panther defender who could have potentially stopped him from going in the endzone.

Big ups......J Campbell
Big ups......Defense
Big ups......Joe Gibbs
Big ups......Defense
Big ups......All of us who stayed in the stadium after the INT!!!!
Dec. 31, 1972
NFC Championship Game at RFK Stadium
W, 26-3
"Just remember this. Forty men together can't lose." George Allen

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:16 pm

I'm sorry but the play calling is still handcuffing this offense... we're lucky we had field position on our side for a lot of that game because otherwise thows 3-and-outs early in the game would have killed us... the wide receiver screen, the shovel pass, the reverse... all stuffed... those are things you do when you've established your offense and the defense is on their heels, not when you're struggling just to get a first down... and those short yardage stiuations were terrible uninspired play calling... maybe it's just me, but if we don't open some things up we're doomed to repeat the first half of the season... (I will say that Carolina's play calling was even worse than ours though...)

Hog

Postby xhadow » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Mursilis wrote:
REDEEMEDSKIN wrote:

I like the kid, and I'm glad he was able to help the team win in the end, but he made too many errant throws yesterday (AT HOME) to really say he was "solid".

True, but how long has he had to work on his timing with his receivers? If these issues continue next season, we should be concerned, but I think his accuracy will pick up with time. I believe he said the season-long completion percentage record his senior year at Auburn. Having a cannon of an arm is worthless if a QB can't be accurate, but I think that with time, JC will demonstrate power and accuracy.

Not to mention how many dropped passes our receivers had yesterday. I mean there were a few that would have went for touchdowns.
Well what more would you expect out of the "Worst Team" in the "Best Division"

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:26 pm

USAFSkinFan wrote:I'm sorry but the play calling is still handcuffing this offense... we're lucky we had field position on our side for a lot of that game because otherwise thows 3-and-outs early in the game would have killed us... the wide receiver screen, the shovel pass, the reverse... all stuffed... those are things you do when you've established your offense and the defense is on their heels, not when you're struggling just to get a first down... and those short yardage stiuations were terrible uninspired play calling... maybe it's just me, but if we don't open some things up we're doomed to repeat the first half of the season... (I will say that Carolina's play calling was even worse than ours though...)

Obviously, a lot of the playcalling is going to be limited by the fact we're working a new QB into the offense. It should get better with time. I see Campbell, and by extension the passing game, having a much better year next year, after he's had a full offseason and training camp as the starter.

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:27 pm

xhadow wrote:
Mursilis wrote:
REDEEMEDSKIN wrote:

Not to mention how many dropped passes our receivers had yesterday. I mean there were a few that would have went for touchdowns.

Good point. I counted at least three catchable balls dropped yesterday.

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:56 pm

Mursilis wrote:
USAFSkinFan wrote:I'm sorry but the play calling is still handcuffing this offense... we're lucky we had field position on our side for a lot of that game because otherwise thows 3-and-outs early in the game would have killed us... the wide receiver screen, the shovel pass, the reverse... all stuffed... those are things you do when you've established your offense and the defense is on their heels, not when you're struggling just to get a first down... and those short yardage stiuations were terrible uninspired play calling... maybe it's just me, but if we don't open some things up we're doomed to repeat the first half of the season... (I will say that Carolina's play calling was even worse than ours though...)

Obviously, a lot of the playcalling is going to be limited by the fact we're working a new QB into the offense. It should get better with time. I see Campbell, and by extension the passing game, having a much better year next year, after he's had a full offseason and training camp as the starter.

they didn't exactly open it up with Brunell either... I get the feeling sometimes the coaching staff is so afraid to make mistakes, their afraid to think outside the box once in a while...

Hog

it was...

Postby Redskin Don » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:02 pm

a quality win against a quality opponent... no question, at least in my mind, it was our best all around effort of the year. The defense played like a bunch of rabid dogs and got after Carolina all day long. D*mn, I love watching these guys play like they're capable. Jason Campbell showed he's got the tools to be a very good NFL QB. Ladell Betts and the O-line manhandled one of the best front sevens in the game. It's a great day in Redskin Nation. Yeah, it may have come a month too late, but at least they're worth watching, provided they can continue to play like this. I'll be happy, at this point, to finish in 2nd place in the NFC East. The Giants are dead in the water and Philly got their backs broken last night. It won't mean a thing, but it'll prove to me after it's all said and done that we worked our butts off and got it together at the end. I hate that Dallas is going to take what should rightfully be ours, but those are the breaks...Woulda, coulda, shoulda...
"Winning isn't the only thing... it's EVERYTHING"

Hog

Postby 1fan4ramsey » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:12 pm

While Campbell didn't set the world on fire he made a couple of key plays that Brunell wouldn't have been able to make. We would have lost that game without J.C. at qb. Makes you wonder if we could have a few more wins this season had he started all along.
don't even

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:13 am

1fan4ramsey wrote:While Campbell didn't set the world on fire he made a couple of key plays that Brunell wouldn't have been able to make.

I don't know if I'm ready to believe that. For the most part, it looked like the same offense under Brunell, only with a taller QB.

Like you said, Campbell didn't light it up, but he certainly made a few key plays.

Now, I'm excited about the kid delivering a win as well, but if you were to change the number on the jersey, it wouldn't look too different of an output, IMO. (right down to the restlessness in the stands, and the calls for Joe to retire, streaming down from the "experts" in the Upper Level)

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:20 am

Campbell has a poise about him that Mark didnt have this year. The plays that JC made were doable by Brunell. The plays that didnt connect aren't doable by MB. Even though JC hasn't had success with the long ball yet, its not entirely his fault. He hasn't had the time to grow with the WR's yet. That deep ball is going to allow Betts to be a viable RB for us on the road to the playoffs.

With JC in, we're seeing the ball spread around. No more throws to Moss who is being covered by 4 defenders. Our TE's are getting more touches. We're getting a deep ball threat. We're getting a more mobile QB.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:46 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:1) With JC in, we're seeing the ball spread around.
2) No more throws to Moss who is being covered by 4 defenders.
3) Our TE's are getting more touches.
4) We're getting a deep ball threat.
5) We're getting a more mobile QB. (numbers added by me)

1) True dat. Unfortunately, too many balls hit the turf on Sunday. I understand it's some of the growing pains we have to go through, but, man, some of those really looked bad, and didn't eestablish any rhythm.

2) You're right, on one play, I saw JC wisely throw to Moss, who was covered by only three defenders. :wink: Was Moss even a factor int he passing game on Sunday? Hopefully he develops a rhythm with JC, the way he did with Brunell (last year).

3) I'd say the TE's are finally making catches. Perhaps it's the tighter spiral or something, but, so long as their not dropping them, as they were earlier in the year, it's all gravy. Overall, I think the receivng corps is stepping up because they know they HAVE to help out the young QB.

4) Deep ball down the middle. Yes. Though it's not like we're going deep on every single play (just like we didn't with MB under center). The good thing is that teams have to respect that.

5) Ahhhhh...precious youth. A young MB would run circles around JC, IMO. too bad it's no longer the 90's. :lol:

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006