Post Game Thread...Atl @ Was

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:15 pm

Linebackers C+??? NO way... I didn't see Lemar Marshall in on any runs up the middle. Holdman was around vick when he dove to the ground -- don't remember him beyond that. Washington didn't do much either...That unit has been playing at a D or worse the whole year.

I sure hope Wms realizes he needs to make a change and he puts Rocky in.

Agreed. The linebackers, including Washington, haven't played at a high level this season. Holdman is pathetic. How he is still starting is a total mystery. Marshall hasn't done much better and is totally playing out of his natural position. He needs to be on the outside and we need to find a realy MLB.
"Archuletta on the sidelines is a plus for Redskins fans" - Brian Mitchell

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:25 pm

Oh, what a relief. Such a disappointing result, and I now I find that it's down to playcalling, Holdman, the new kicker. Thank God it's not down to poor execution by the whole darned team. Otherwise, we'd really be in trouble.

It's the reverse. No, it's the draw plays. No, it's the interceptions. No, the runs up the middle. It's Gregg Williams. It's going for a field goal when the game is tight, and we're within 50 yards.

It's a simple game. Run, block, catch and tackle. Any amount of playcalling and game-planning will not overcome an inability to execute the basc requirements of NFL football. Something is seriously wrong when a running back on a Joe Gibbs team runs for 150+, and the team still loses.

By the way, Andre Carter did have a good game, or so the stats say.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to bed.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:33 pm

Oh, what a relief. Such a disappointing result, and I now I find that it's down to playcalling, Holdman, the new kicker. Thank God it's not down to poor execution by the whole darned team. Otherwise, we'd really be in trouble.

It's the reverse. No, it's the draw plays. No, it's the interceptions. No, the runs up the middle. It's Gregg Williams. It's going for a field goal when the game is tight, and we're within 50 yards.

It's a simple game. Run, block, catch and tackle. Any amount of playcalling and game-planning will not overcome an inability to execute the basc requirements of NFL football. Something is seriously wrong when a running back on a Joe Gibbs team runs for 150+, and the team still loses.

By the way, Andre Carter did have a good game, or so the stats say.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to bed.

Bottom line is that this team just isn't very good. People can point to the 5 game winning streak last season but that looks more and more like an abbaration.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:48 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Coaching - F
Horrible time management. Bad play calling. Run, run, pass is not going to cut it. Running draw plays with no timeouts left and 1 min left is retarded.

QB - C
RB - A
TE - D
WR - B
Offensive line
running - A
passing - D
Defensive line
pass rush - C
run stop - C+
LB - C+
DB - B-
Safety - C+
S/T - A
K - F+

Just my humble opinion on performances.
Some quick thoughts.

+ The play calling is still a big issue.

+ Why didn't we kick the FG at the end?

+ Why does it seem hard to get B Lloyd more involved?

+ Jason shouldn't have had to throw as much as he did.

+ The offense tired out the defense.

+ The organization is stupid for not getting Vanderjerk.

+ The reverse to ARE is getting played out. They run the reverse every week.

+
You're wrong on the FG. Consider we went quickly inside the 10 yard line. That means:

- TD (5 yards), onside kick, drive to about the 30 (30 yards). We only need to move the ball 35 yards to do that.

- FG. Now we need a TD to tie, that means we need to cover 60 yards.

The rest I pretty much agree on though. We went to the no-huddle too slow, Cooley not going out with 2:03 hurt. Yes, the clock stopped, but if he goes out of bounds we get a free shot anywhere on the field with the clock stopping. Then we kept handing off and getting under 5 yards and burning major time. And how is Betts on 3rd down fooling them when we kept calling that play for real?

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:03 pm

Charm City Sports wrote:GW's refusal to bend, and make ajustments cost us

What does that mean?

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:05 pm

Tough game to watch. We're tackling better than we did 4 weeks ago, but not as well as we did last week.

Our o-line looked sick (in the good way, not the bad way).

Campbell showed his first rookie moments this week, in my opinion. I suppose the learning process is expected, and there is the optimism attached to it, but it doesn't make it any less painful when a pick is thrown or a ball skips a few yards in front of a receiver. Still, he played well for where he is and I loved some of the downfield shots.

If there were any doubts that we should hold on to Betts, I'd think they'd be erased after today's performance. I know that we have Duckett, and I'm not sure exactly how that's going to play out, but Betts was a monster today.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby SkinzCanes » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:14 pm

Our o-line looked sick (in the good way, not the bad way).

Running blocking, yes. But they were horrible in pass protection.

Hog

Postby Skins2daGrave » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:09 pm

the only positive thing about this game was Jason Campbell's learning. he had a couple nice throws and a couple bad ones but atleast he's learning.
16 Ounce Bottle Of Coke: $2
3 Bags Of Chips: $8
40" Plasma Screen TV: $2000
Watching the Cowgirls get beaten in Dallas with 2 4th Quarter TD passes to Santana Moss: Priceless

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:24 pm

how often do we bring a blitz and the guy gets a free run at the QB... ever? But how often do other teams blitz and get a free run at our QB... often! What do we not understand about blitz pickup... they left Jason hangin' out to dry several times... you can't expect a guy in his 3rd game to read and react that fast... they set him up for failure...

oh and is there any team not expecting the Randel El reverse when he comes in the game? No!

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:42 pm

As contradictory as this sounds, the Redskins were a team that ran 35 times for 177 yards (Betts for 155) and yet it can be said they abandoned the run when keeping control was at its highest importance.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:37 pm

Let's put the blame where it belongs. On The Players...

Specifically...

1. Clinton Portis offensively it starts and ends with Clinton, So you broke your hand? Put a cast on it and let's go. See Jon Jansen.

2. Mark Brunell- the biggest thief this organization has ever encountered and that says alot as there have been many "thieves" roll through.

3. Casey Rabach- had no chance today, bullied, he was thrown around like a rag doll.

4. Derrick Dockery- run blocks we're impressive pass protection not so much.

5. Ladell Betts- Barry Sanders he is not. Good solid numbers out of solid runs but nothing spectacular, no break away runs...See Clinton Portis

6. Defense- Secondary needs overhaul, D-Line needs someone special, Nate Clements and Dwight Freeney might help.

7. Reed Doughty- HOW DO YOU NOT TAKE THAT TO THE HOUSE!? HOW!?
HAIL

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 am

Gibbs4Life wrote:Let's put the blame where it belongs. On The Players...

Specifically...

1. Clinton Portis offensively it starts and ends with Clinton, So you broke your hand? Put a cast on it and let's go. See Jon Jansen.

7. Reed Doughty- HOW DO YOU NOT TAKE THAT TO THE HOUSE!? HOW!?

Dude, you can't seriously compare the importance of having healthy hands for an offensive lineman to that of a running back. For a running back to play with a cast on is suicide. If you're just a grunt who's going to use that cast to push people around with, fine. But to hold onto the ball with it? Sheesh.

And, hey, those punters are tough physical guys. :roll:

As for Campbell, he did have a couple of boneheaded plays, but I don't think he had as many bad throws as people may think. There were a few drops, and some of those quick outs were disrupted by blocked throwing lanes. JC did the right thing to throw wide rather than throw a pick. It seemed as if on every third and short, the quick out to Moss was called, and I think the Falcons picked up on it.

As for the last pick, I think if JC weren't hit and had gotten all the mustard on that throw, it would have been a TD to Randle El, who was open in the back of the end zone. Overall, I think JC played okay, but it's obvious he's still learning. He looked more uncomfortable this game than the other two.

And lastly, a draw play with under a minute remaining and down by 10?!? Dumbest play call in the NFL this year, hands down.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

Hog

Postby ArizonaHOG » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:46 am

Key series: We are up 14-0 and get the ball back at about midfiedl. Instead of running the ball, like we had been doing effectively, we try "trick plays and go 3-and-out. Poor coaching decision cost us a chance tu bury the falcons in the 2nd quarter.

Key Play: Interception to end a promising drive after half-time where we would have gone up by 7 or 10 pts. Instead, we are down 17-14. Poor play-calling (run the football) and bad decion by JC.

Key Pay (B): Cooley's dropped pass.
Beat Dallas!!!

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:05 am

seems like Cooley drops one very week...

and how many 90+ yard drives has the "D" given up this year?

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:24 am

A few points that caught my attention:

Champsturf wrote:
welch wrote:Would Brunell have been better? Perhaps, but that doesn't matter. The offense belongs to Campbell now.

Why even say that? Brunell will only be on the field if there's an injury to Campbell.

It's relevant because JC showed his inexperience today, and was totally at fault for allowing the momentum to shift the Falcons' way. After the first INT, the Skins went into a freefall. The kid played a HUGE role in that.

Champsturf wrote:
redskins12287 wrote: Campbell had no protection all game, but still, some of those passes were just sooooooooo bad.

Sorry, but I'm not banging on Campbell....not this season.

Respect.

You're standing by your word, and that is admirable, especially after Campbell played bad.

The Hogster wrote:Campbell missed some throws, but he also had guys in his face every time he droppped back...our pass protection is slighly better than it was with the Fun and Gun...and thats sad. Its weird that we can't pass pro better when we run block so well....

It's funny how our younger, stronger, and allegedly more mobile QB is facing the same struggles our old QB had. This team has a lot more issues than who is under center. However, Jason made some bad decisions today, that can be attributed to his inexperience.

The Hogster also wrote:]Its our fault that we're going through Growing Pains now...Campbell has been sitting on ice for a year and a half....still Brunell wouldnt have done any better...he may not have thrown any picks, but he never would have thrown that 42 yarder down to Moss.

Growing pains.....oy. I disagree that Brunell would not have fared better, particularly down the stretch. The least he could have done was given the team some confidence that they could get it done. It looked to me like the team was paralyzed by JC's inability to scan the entire field during crunch time. The kid was shaken, stirred, and overwhelmed by the ATL D, and THAT was a bad mix in the end. GRanted, he wasn't Patrick Ramsey bad, but he certainly looked very green, and with the growth process, we just let the hopes for the season go. We're hanging by the slimmest of threads, and the dead weight on the team might just make it snap.

Bottom line is that this team just isn't very good. People can point to the 5 game winning streak last season but that looks more and more like an abbaration.

Hey, the 5-game streak last year was legit. You can't take that away from last year's TEAM. the collection of "talent" this year is struggling to acquire the swagger last year's team had at the end. Methinks it begins in the locker room, and it translates onto the field.

What do we not understand about blitz pickup... they left Jason hangin' out to dry several times... you can't expect a guy in his 3rd game to read and react that fast... they set him up for failure...

That was unfortunate for JC. However, I did expect to see him move around more. He certainly battled to stay upright in the line of fire, but his mistakes (INTs) were costly, and he shoulders the blame on those.

My 2 cents
Back and better than ever!

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006