Cornerbacks?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
piggie

Cornerbacks?

Postby HogInBlacksburg » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:57 am

Well, IF Champ gets traded this is our second biggest need behind D-line(IMO). I'm not ready to have Bauman be the starter opposite Smoot. If we end up with multiple first rounders we can trade down a few spots and multiply those picks.
My 'unbiased' opinion is we need to use our (second)1st round pick on DeAngelo Hall. There wouldn't be any lack of conversation in our secondary with him and Smoot in there.
He could make our Special Teams truly special right away. Morton on kick returns and Hall on punt returns. He has Sanders/Green speed and is physical. http://www.nflfans.com/draft/2004/showplayer.php?key=De%20Angelo%20Hall*
As long as other needs are addressed in FA this would be a great pick up. He's a special player.

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:22 am

Yea DeAngelo Hall is a great corner with AMAZING speed. But im pretty damn sure that if we had two first round picks they wouldnt use it on him. One reason is because of the STRONG free agent corners on the market this year.

swine

Postby dallasisdead2004 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:58 pm

I agree, guest.

Washington then might sign a solid corner, such as the San Francisco 49ers' Ahmed Plummer, to play alongside Smoot.
The free agent crop at cornerback is strong. The Oakland Raiders' Charles Woodson, Baltimore Ravens' Chris McAlister, Buffalo Bills' Antoine Winfield, Seattle Seahawks' Shawn Springs and Philadelphia Eagles' Troy Vincent and Brian Dawkins all are set for unrestricted free agency.
Dallas is Dead. And so is anyone else that disrespects the Man!

piggie

Postby HogInBlacksburg » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:19 pm

The only problem with going after one of the top FA corners is spending big money AGAIN for a star. I would rather go after big time lineman(Kearse,Washington,Sapp,Coleman..etc)
than big time corners. I agree we could go after one of the older/cheaper guys like Taylor and draft a young guy. But, Plummer, Woodson, McAllister are too expensive. Hall is gonna be a star and we could sign him to a deal similar to Bailey's original one and have a relatively cheap shut down guy for four years or so.
If we traded Bailey to Detroit for their #6 pick(1st) and a 2nd or 3rd rounder, we could trade down a few spots and pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd. We could end up with Taylor(S)..Hall(CB)..G.Jones(RB)..Troupe or Watson(TE)..D.Washington(DT)..I.Hilton(DE) and a 5th rounder. My 2 cents

Hog

Postby DaRealistJoka » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:19 pm

This is my first time being on here. Do anybody think that Pat might want out? And if he do u think we will release him? I like Pat but if somebody dont want to be here then let him go, we can easly have 3 first rounds.
DaRealist Fan
R.I.P Sean Taylor

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:05 am

I don't believe so Joka... I think it will all be worked out by Gibbs.

I still don't think a first rounder needs to be spent on a RB with the class of FA this year. Too many good ones available that could fit in for at least a year or two and allow us some time to get a RB in the next draft or two. I still say that DL and TE are the biggest concerns right now since we don't have a DE that could stop a granny in a walker on an icy sidewalk with the wheels off her walker.

TE is second since we don't have a guy that can seem to catch without the ball being welded into their hands and can't run block better than the granny mentioned above.

After that, maybe a RB... but I would put it around the 5th round if we don't trade down one of potentially two picks we may have in the first once Bailey goes bye bye. If he does go and we get some of the rumored picks like Detroit's 6th we need to trade down for a lower first and a third for each... or a first and a fourth at worst case. Then maybe we can get a RB in the third or fourth.
Rich in Roanoke

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:07 am

I agree Rich, remember after the season all we talked about was upgrading the D, then Gibbs got hired and all the talk is RB and TE??
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:27 pm

I agree with the TE - but there are a couple of good possibilities that will possibly fall to our #2. I got so tired of seeing TEs drop the ball this past season I wanted to throw my TV.

The Dline is THE major rework project - and I would, if it were my group to coach, be bringing in all the talent I could to fix it first then worry about other positions.

I still say - with Darrell and someone mediocre playing at all 3 other secondary positions we won three superbowls - but we had a great DL.
Rich in Roanoke

piggie

Postby HogInBlacksburg » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:05 pm

Actually, I totally agree that DL is the top priority. I just think it can be fixed in FA. The only way I think we should consider Greg Jones is if our line was fixed in FA and we have multiple 1st and 2nds.(He may not be there in 2nd rd.) I wasn't real clear on the breakdown before:
1st (#5)S.Taylor S
1st (#6)..from Detroit..trade down 2 to 10 picks
(#8 to #16)D.Hall CB
2nd ..from Detroit..Grove C/Dockett DT/G.Jones RB/Spears DE
2nd Troupe or Watson TE
3rd D.Washington DT
3rd or 4th ..from whoever we trade down with..I.Hilton DE
5th J.Payton RB(If we don't take G.Jones).

I think if Champ is traded..a 1st and 2nd is about as much as we will get, if that. It may be a 1st and 3rd. My main point is don't break the bank on a FA corner. Use the extra first rounder on a top corner such as Hall or Gamble. We could draft Hall in the mid-first and sign a veteran such as Bobby Taylor cheaper than we will get one of the top guys.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:24 pm

Ok - here we go

1st round

5 - trade down to 10
6 - trade down to 15-20

10 - Randy Starks - UMd - DT
15 - DeAngelo Hall - CB/KR/PR - VT

2nd Round

5 - Ben Troupe - TE FL (led whole team in receiving and is a BIG boy)

3rd Round

5 - Gone to Brunell acquisition most likely
6 - from Det - Maybe Washington DT - Maybe compensation for a RB like Barlow if SF doesn't raise the bar high enough with their offer

4th round

we don't have a pick

5th Round

5 - Payton or what was his name - Wilson from WV?

6th round

Utility player - maybe punter

7th round

Utility player - maybe punter if not in the 6th - if they go say DT in the 6th for fleshing out some competition for example
Rich in Roanoke

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:29 am

What do we get for trading down the #5 and 6 picks surely we'll have more picks then this if we do that
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:27 am

If we trade Champ and get Detroit's 1st and 2nd how about this draft.

1st round
5th pick Sean Taylor S
6th trade to N.E. for their 2 1st rd picks, #21 & #32
21st Randy Starks DT or Kenichi Udeze DE if
available.
32nd Deanglo Hall CB

2nd round
38th (Det.) Greg Jones RB
41st Ben Troupe TE or Darnell Dockett DT

3rd round
73rd ?-trade Brunell

4th round
no pick

5th round
O-line or D-line depth or maybe Demarrio Williams LB from Nebraska I think He could be a special teams monster plus has some pass rushing skills.

6th and 7th rounds no picks.

Granted this is a bit of a dream and other teams may take some of the picks but it is fun to dream. :D
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Hog

Postby DaRealistJoka » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:32 pm

Wassup people?
What are the real chances of The Redskins gettin S. Taylor I dont hear a lot about him and what LB name Clemons do we have,I heard he is real good

What u think?
1st S Taylor
1st Udeze

2-Dockett
2-TE Watson or Throup might eveb Clarret
DaRealist Fan
R.I.P Sean Taylor

fan

Postby fan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:53 pm

What do you hink about cb Chris Gamble?

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:09 am

We have Gamble ranked #5 for this year's crop of CB's in our draft site.

We think he's a good player and that he will definitely be drafted on day 1.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010