Redskins All-Time team

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
----------

Redskins All-Time team

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:28 pm

Since we’ve entered the dreaded offseason, I though it would be fun to name our 75th anniversary team. The way it works is simple: each week, everyone votes on a position until we have our full roster. I’ll suggest as many nominees as I can think of, but write-ins are more than welcome – I’m bound to miss a few. We will tally up results each week (let’s say by Sunday at midnight ET each week), and then start the next position.

Code: Select all
Roster:

Quarterback – Sammy Baugh, 64.7% (backup: Sonny Jurgensen 29.4%)
Halfback –
Fullback –
Wide Reciever –
Wide Reciever –
Tight End –
Tackle –
Guard –
Center –
Guard –
Tackle

Defensive End –
Defensive End –
Defensive Tackle –
Defensive Tackle –
Outside Linebacker –
Outside Linebacker -
Middle Linebacker –
Cornerback –
Cornerback –
Safety –
Safety –

Placekicker –
Punter –

Kick returner –
Punt returner –

Head Coach –
Owner –
City -
Last edited by Steve Spurrier III on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:29 pm

Quarterbacks

Votes due by February 18th, midnight, EST. Vote for only one.

"Slingin"' Sammy Baugh, 1937-1952, HOF, 7-time NFL All-Pro
Eddie LaBaron, 1952-1953, 1955-1959, 3 Pro Bowls
Sonny Jurgensen, 1964-1974, HOF, 4 Pro Bowls
Billy Kilmer, 1971-1978, 1 Pro Bowl
Joe Thiesmann, 1974-1985, 2 Pro Bowls, 1983 NFL MVP
Doug Williams, 1986-1989, Super Bowl XXII MVP
Mark Rypien, 1988-1993, 2 Pro Bowls, Super Bowl XXV MVP

(I snagged all these guys off the 70 greatest Redskins list. It will work very nicely for some positions, but not too well for others.)

Let’s try to keep the Mark Brunell jokes to a minimum...

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:48 pm

Baugh

Hog

Postby Hog Heaven » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:58 pm

Quick question before I vote... Are we voting for the best player compared to the other players of their time, or the most talented, or even the one who was most important to the Redskins franchise?
Romans 1:11 "For I wish that I myself were cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers..." Paul

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:06 pm

You can use whatever criteria you like. "Greatest" isn't real clear, but I like to think of it as, if only one of these players could make the Hall of Fame based only on their careers with the Redskins, who would get your vote?

Mine goes to Baugh. As much as I love some of these other guys like Jurgensen, Baugh's on a whole other level.
Last edited by Steve Spurrier III on Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:28 pm

I'm going to have to say Baugh, although perhaps my vote shouldn't count since I never saw him play. :lol:

edit: And, by the way, nice idea for a thread, SS.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:23 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I'm going to have to say Baugh, although perhaps my vote shouldn't count since I never saw him play. :lol:

edit: And, by the way, nice idea for a thread, SS.

I'm with you on everything here. Can I have my brain back now, please?

Hog

Postby Skins2daGrave » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:38 pm

definitely "Slingin" Sammy, Theisman puts up a solid fight though
16 Ounce Bottle Of Coke: $2
3 Bags Of Chips: $8
40" Plasma Screen TV: $2000
Watching the Cowgirls get beaten in Dallas with 2 4th Quarter TD passes to Santana Moss: Priceless

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:15 pm

Sammy Baugh****

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:42 am

I got to give it to Mark Rypien.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:41 am

I'll vote for Sonny Jurgenson. He was the best passer I've ever seen. If the Skin's defense was any good when he played, I'm sure they would have won a championship.
Sammy Baugh was also a great saftey and punter. I'll give him my vote for one of those postions.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:24 pm

I'll vote for Sonny Jurgenson. He was the best passer I've ever seen. If the Skin's defense was any good when he played, I'm sure they would have won a championship.
Sammy Baugh was also a great saftey and punter. I'll give him my vote for one of those postions.

I'd vote:

(a) Sonny as the best passer I ever saw. The best passer in the last 50 years. Quickest release, most accurate, best play-caller (yes, there was a time when the QB called the play in the huddle!), only passer I ever saw complete a pass from behind his back, also the only passer to complete one left handed even though he was right-handed. Sam Huff says that Sony could throw a curve and a screw-ball -- could pin the football so it bent right of left.

(b) Slingin Sammy, best all-time from what I've read. The tailback (single-wing) who perfected the bullet pass and made the forward pass a real offensive weapon -- not just a last-ditch trick play. Invented the position. We could justifiably saythat Sammy baugh invented the pass, even though others -- Benny Friedman (?) -- had used it. The hristopher Columbus of QB's.

So: I have to vote for both.

Hog

Postby Hog Heaven » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Slinging Sammy
Romans 1:11 "For I wish that I myself were cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers..." Paul

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:07 pm

I fear you are serious. Mark Rypien was a system QB, selected by Gibbs specifically because he could fill a role. He bailed the second he got the chance, and lasted how long?

Sonny is my choice. Outstanding passer. Incredible tactician. Beer belly. I also once saw him directing traffic at an accident at the intersection of Nevada Ave and Military Rd. Did ok... of course, he had some experience.

Sammy would be second. However, I will give him my nod as the punter... some of his records in that position still stand.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:22 pm

Countertrey wrote:
I fear you are serious. Mark Rypien was a system QB, selected by Gibbs specifically because he could fill a role. He bailed the second he got the chance, and lasted how long?

Honestly, Mark Rypien isn't even in the top 5. You could make an good argument for number six, but he is far behind Eddie Labaron, Billy Kilmer and Joe Theismann. And even suggesting he is in the same league as Baugh or Jurgensen makes me hurt inside.

Edit: That might be a little harsh - Rypien was a solid quarterback and the gap between him and guys like LaBaron and Kilmer isn't that big. But he still can't sniff Baugh's jock.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football