Redskins All-Time team

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
----------
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:48 am

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:48 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Since neither can really be on this list I guess I gotta go with Larry Brown although the best runners we ever had at this position were Mitchell and Taylor.


There is no question that Taylor and Mitchell could have been/were good halfbacks, but they are all-time greats at flanker. The wide reciever vote is going to be awfully interesting - someone is going to get the shaft, and something tells me on this board, it won't be Art Monk.

But at halfback, I'll vote for Larry Brown.
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 522
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 3:12 am
Location: Down the road on my Yamaha Majesty

Postby flamethrower » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:39 pm

I chose Brown as Tail back and Riggins as full back. Also backing up both Ernest Byner, nuff said
Cowturd hater in the house.
Majesty rider in the house.
Cowturd troll owner here
Does Brokeback mountain mean anything to cowturd fanatics?

~~~~~
Posts: 1422
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:54 am
Location: Finksburg MD

Postby Warmother » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:57 pm

From this list it's Larry Brown. I think with time it will be Portis.
One guy who wasn't mentioned was Mike Thomas. He took over when Brown slowed down and had a couple of good years for the Skin's.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

DarthMonk
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Redskins All-Time team

Postby DarthMonk » Tue May 15, 2012 4:23 pm

I don't think this ever concluded. Maybe we could make it a little easier with a poll at each postion after a little discussion.

DarthMonk

Steve Spurrier III wrote:Since we’ve entered the dreaded offseason, I though it would be fun to name our 75th anniversary team. The way it works is simple: each week, everyone votes on a position until we have our full roster. I’ll suggest as many nominees as I can think of, but write-ins are more than welcome – I’m bound to miss a few. We will tally up results each week (let’s say by Sunday at midnight ET each week), and then start the next position.

Code: Select all
Roster:

Quarterback – Sammy Baugh, 64.7% (backup: Sonny Jurgensen 29.4%)
Halfback –
Fullback –
Wide Reciever –
Wide Reciever –
Tight End –
Tackle –
Guard –
Center –
Guard –
Tackle

Defensive End –
Defensive End –
Defensive Tackle –
Defensive Tackle –
Outside Linebacker –
Outside Linebacker -
Middle Linebacker –
Cornerback –
Cornerback –
Safety –
Safety –

Placekicker –
Punter –

Kick returner –
Punt returner –

Head Coach –
Owner –
City -
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Co. Cavan, Ireland

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Tue May 15, 2012 4:58 pm

So does that mean QB is settled and we're now on RBs..?
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 16158
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 16, 2012 8:50 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:So does that mean QB is settled and we're now on RBs..?

RGIII may have something to say about that. :lol:

I guess we need to give him a year or two. :shock:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Wed May 16, 2012 10:13 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:So does that mean QB is settled and we're now on RBs..?


If SSIII doesn't chime in I'm going to start it over and lobby for Sonny as QB and for Sammy as punter. That way we have our best passer ever, the best punter ever AND a great backup at QB and safety.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

goskins
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:55 pm
Location: Hampden-Sydney, VA

Postby GoSkins » Wed May 16, 2012 10:29 am

DarthMonk wrote:
SouthLondonRedskin wrote:So does that mean QB is settled and we're now on RBs..?


If SSIII doesn't chime in I'm going to start it over and lobby for Sonny as QB and for Sammy as punter. That way we have our best passer ever, the best punter ever AND a great backup at QB and safety.

DarthMonk


Great idea! I'm with you on this.

DarthMonk
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Redskins All-Time team

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:07 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I don't think this ever concluded. Maybe we could make it a little easier with a poll at each postion after a little discussion.

DarthMonk

Steve Spurrier III wrote:Since we’ve entered the dreaded offseason, I though it would be fun to name our 75th anniversary team. The way it works is simple: each week, everyone votes on a position until we have our full roster. I’ll suggest as many nominees as I can think of, but write-ins are more than welcome – I’m bound to miss a few. We will tally up results each week (let’s say by Sunday at midnight ET each week), and then start the next position.

Code: Select all
Roster:

Quarterback – Sammy Baugh, 64.7% (backup: Sonny Jurgensen 29.4%)
Halfback –
Fullback –
Wide Reciever –
Wide Reciever –
Tight End –
Tackle –
Guard –
Center –
Guard –
Tackle

Defensive End –
Defensive End –
Defensive Tackle –
Defensive Tackle –
Outside Linebacker –
Outside Linebacker -
Middle Linebacker –
Cornerback –
Cornerback –
Safety –
Safety –

Placekicker –
Punter –

Kick returner –
Punt returner –

Head Coach –
Owner –
City -


I hereby open the discussion at QB. I nominate, as the only serilus contenders, Sammy Baugh and Sonny Jurgenson.

DarthMonk wrote:
SouthLondonRedskin wrote:So does that mean QB is settled and we're now on RBs..?


If SSIII doesn't chime in I'm going to start it over and lobby for Sonny as QB and for Sammy as punter. That way we have our best passer ever, the best punter ever AND a great backup at QB and safety.

DarthMonk


Any other serious nominatons for QB before I make a poll?

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Postby rskin72 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:12 pm

About the only other one I could think of.....since I have been following the Redskins....would be Theismann. I looked up his stats last night and was going to compare with Jurgey......but while some stats compared favorably, others did not. Even though he was drafted by the Dolphins, he never played for any NFL team besides the Redskins. And, he did lead the team to two SB's, one of which they won.

So....I would also nominate #7 to the all time conversation.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

the 'mudge
Posts: 14640
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Skins2daGrave wrote:definitely "Slingin" Sammy, Theisman puts up a solid fight though
So much for being serious...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

the 'mudge
Posts: 14640
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Jurgensen. He was the best pure quarterback ever to grace the Eastern Division of the NFL/Capital Conference of the NFL/Eastern Division of the NFC.

Baugh was a great quarterback, but not the incredible technician that Jurgensen was. Baugh's real strength was his overall play, and tireless tenacity. As pointed out by DM, Baugh was arguably the best punter, and among the best Safety's ever to play the game, as well...

Theisman does not belong on this list. He is not in the HOF, and never will be.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

ATX
Posts: 3384
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:59 am
Location: NOVA

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Countertrey wrote:Jurgensen. He was the best pure quarterback ever to grace the Eastern Division of the NFL/Capital Conference of the NFL/Eastern Division of the NFC.

Baugh was a great quarterback, but not the incredible technician that Jurgensen was. Baugh's real strength was his overall play, and tireless tenacity. As pointed out by DM, Baugh was arguably the best punter, and among the best Safety's ever to play the game, as well...

Theisman does not belong on this list. He is not in the HOF, and never will be.


Do you really think Baugh was one of the best safeties ever to play the game?
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Co. Cavan, Ireland

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:54 am

Countertrey wrote:Theisman does not belong on this list. He is not in the HOF, and never will be.


I take your point but I don't think the HOF thing shold come into it. Theisman was arguably our best QB of the modern era and represents the Gibbs era in this QB debate and therefore should be included in any poll for greatest QB.

He'd make a lot of people's top 3, for sure. Are we picking 53 here for a roster or just a starting XI for each unit...?

Looking at the roster list posted before we seemingly only have room for one QB and one middle linebacker....
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:25 am

Deadskins wrote:
SouthLondonRedskin wrote:So does that mean QB is settled and we're now on RBs..?

RGIII may have something to say about that. :lol:

I guess we need to give him a year or two. :shock:


Unless you're thinking RG3 will win 2 NFL titles during those two years he still will have a long way to go to even be mentioned in the same breath as Sammy Baugh! While I will admit Sonny might have ben the better passer, Sammy was the better QB.

Sonny had the benefit of throwing the ball to the best WR duo in NFL history. Think about it, he had two legit HoF WRs to chuck the ball to. How many QB can say that? Don't say Bradshaw, because, in my mind, Stallworth and Swann being in the HoF is a JOKE!!!

Sammy is the best QB in Skins history and quite possibly the best overall player in NFL history!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football