Redskins All-Time team

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:22 pm

I vote for Sonny as QB - they would score 30pts and still couldn't win. Trading Norm Snead for Sonny was the best trade the redskins EVER made. :lol:

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:42 pm

Jurgensen for Snead was great, but I'd have to say the best trade was Ernie Davis for Bobby Mitchell. Davis was the 1961 Heisman trophy winner and the Redskins first round draft pick in 1962, but was traded to the Browns early in the offseason for Bobby Mitchell. Mitchell moved from halfback (a position he was very goot at) to flanker (a position he was exceptional at), and went on to become a Hall of Famer. Tragically, Davis was diagnosed with leukemia before the season started and never played a snap in the NFL.

You have to remember, Snead was a pretty good quarterback himself, and was a Pro Bowler when the Redskins traded him. Still, he was no Sonny.
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:38 am

Steve Spurrier III wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
I got to give it to Mark Rypien.
I fear you are serious. Mark Rypien was a system QB, selected by Gibbs specifically because he could fill a role. He bailed the second he got the chance, and lasted how long?

Honestly, Mark Rypien isn't even in the top 5. You could make an good argument for number six, but he is far behind Eddie Labaron, Billy Kilmer and Joe Theismann. And even suggesting he is in the same league as Baugh or Jurgensen makes me hurt inside.

Edit: That might be a little harsh - Rypien was a solid quarterback and the gap between him and guys like LaBaron and Kilmer isn't that big. But he still can't sniff Baugh's jock.
I never even seen those old dudes play. I respect what those guys did in the old days. Mark Rypien went to two pro Bowls. Dominated for the short time he was a skin. He left after Gibbs left which is understandable. I like Mark Rypien// Joe Theisman// Doug Williams//. The old guys I cant give a vote to because I am 28 years old and never seen them play. Mark may have been a system player but he still was able to lead the Skins to a SuperBowl. Which cant be said about Sonny or Sammy. But who are we kidding Mark Brunell best of all time All NFL! :roll:
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:29 am

HEROHAMO wrote: Mark may have been a system player but he still was able to lead the Skins to a SuperBowl. Which cant be said about Sonny or Sammy.

'course, Sammy played 20-odd years before there was a SuperBowl. He did win the league title twice.
I can see where a guy your age wouldn't be able to properly give credit to a player from that era...but if Rypien was the best you ever saw play for us, I hope to god we have better days coming. :)
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:37 am

HEROHAMO wrote:The old guys I cant give a vote to because I am 28 years old and never seen them play.

Hey, I never saw Sammy Baugh play but I know he is the best of the bunch. Using your age as a crutch seems kind of weak. But it's your vote, you can do with it whatever you like.

I like Mark Rypien// Joe Theisman// Doug Williams//.

Just out of curiousity, why not vote for Theismann?

Mark may have been a system player but he still was able to lead the Skins to a SuperBowl. Which cant be said about Sonny or Sammy.

Sammy Baugh won two NFL Championships.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:50 am

I vote for Sammy.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby wormer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:06 pm

Based on everything I have read, I have to vote for Sammy with Sonny as the back up.
Have pet sitting needs in Rockville, Gaithersburg, Olney or Montgomery Village? Contact me. I own Fetch! Pet Care of Rockville - Gaitthersburg.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:43 pm

Well, I'll have to rely on what I've read to answer this one.

I didn't see either of them play, but it has to be Sonny or Sammy. Sonny may have perfected the passing game in his day, but Baugh went a long way to inventing the passing game. So I'll go with Sammy Baugh.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

swine

Postby mulkey » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:14 pm

I desperately would like to pick Billy Kilmer. He was my idol back in the day. But gotta go with Slinging Sammy Baugh.
Hogs and Hoos

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:52 pm

Here is an excellent photograph of Sonny Jurgensen from what I believe is the 1968 season. Notice that he is playing sans chinstrap!

I found this at uniwatchblog.com, which is a fantastic web site if you care about uniforms and the like. Anyway, thought some Sonny fans might be interested.

^^^^

Postby Punu » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:38 am

I'll quote lombardi as best I can (from what I remember reading).
"If I had I Sonny Jurgensen passing for me, I would have won more Super Bowls".

This while he was coaching the other team. That being said. I go with Sonny.
Skins Crazy... I get it from my pops

Don't matter where you are.... YOUR IN REDSKINS COUNTRY!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:16 am

How can anyone NOT vote for the guy with the beer belly?????

Honestly, I do have no problem with folks who would give it to Sammy... he did turn the forward pass into the staple of the league offenses. But Sonny was still a better QB. On the other hand, he only played QB. Baugh was dominant at 3 positions...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Re: Redskins All-Time team

Postby old-timer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:44 pm

Roster:

Quarterback – Sammy Baugh, Sonny Jurgensen
Halfback – Larry Brown
Fullback – John Riggins
Wide Reciever – Charlie Taylor, Gary Clark
Wide Reciever – Art Monk, Ricky Sanders
Tight End – Chris Cooley
Tackle – Jim Lachey
Guard – Joe Jacoby
Center – Jeff Bostic
Guard – Russ Grimm, Paul Laaveg
Tackle - Mark May

Defensive End – Dexter Manley
Defensive End – Charles Mann
Defensive Tackle – Dave Butz
Defensive Tackle – Diron Talbert
Outside Linebacker – Chris Hanburger, Mel Kaufman
Outside Linebacker - Monte Coleman, Wilbur Marshall
Middle Linebacker – Ken Huff, Ken Harvey
Cornerback – Joe Lavendar, Lemar Parrish
Cornerback – Darrell Green
Safety – Ken Houston
Safety – Mark Murphy, Glenn Edwards

Placekicker – Mark Moseley
Punter – Bragg

Kick returner – Darrell Green
Punt returner – Darrell Green

Head Coach – Gibbs
Owner – Cooke

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:48 pm

old-timer wrote:Kick returner – Darrell Green

No love for B. Mitch?
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby old-timer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:05 pm

Fios wrote:
old-timer wrote:Kick returner – Darrell Green

No love for B. Mitch?

Like Mike Nelms, he was great when he started but his last couple of years detracted from his overall score.

Darrell Green ran back a KO for a TD in his first NFL game and he had that return against the Bears in the NFC Championship game, both unforgettable. He was a threat to take it back every time he touched it, and I think everyone knew it - just don't get that feeling from any other return guy.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football