The Official Retire #21 Thread

In memory of Sean Taylor. Please post all thoughts, well-wishes and prayers here.
Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:03 am

VetSkinsFan wrote:I am for it. The man who turned his life around after the trouble he had been involved in and was murdered. ST could have had a pistol in his bedroom, but he didn't. He had a machete. That speaks highly of him to me. I'm sure it was part of his probation and he abided by it even now, even to his death. Honorable man IMO who deserves recognition for the transformation he went thru as a Redskin, on and off the field. It shows not just courage on the field, but off the field as well. He was headed down the wrong road and fought vs adversity and came out ahead.

RIP #21

I think Redeemedskin is completely right. People need to hold off on all of this stuff until all of the facts are in. I don't know for a fact that anything you just wrote is true. What I know is that people were breaking into his house repeatedly in the last two weeks, and that he felt the need to sleep with a machete next to his bed.

I'm a huge Sean Taylor fan, and I hope that everything you wrote is true. But we might want to save the enshrinements until the facts are all in. This whole thing is incredibly suspect. What kind of burglar breaks down a bedroom door to shoot the homeowner (a potentially armed pro football player no less) and then leaves without taking anything?

Sorry, I'm waiting for the police investigation to tell us exactly what happened.

Postby JPFair » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:07 am

If anyone is familiar with the book "Fourth and One" by Joe Gibbs, he talks about the true test of a mans character is not by his or her material possesions, not by his wealth, but the TRUE test of a mans characher is how he/she reacts to, and overcomes adversity. To that end, Sean Taylor was as honorable a person as could possibly esist. His character, though questioned by many, is exemplary....and to be admired. He is a man of tremendous character and dignity.

To overcome what he has overcome is a true testament to the strength of his character. He could easily have taken all the money he makes and lived a life of drugs, crime, strip clubs, alcohol, and the high flying lifestyle that so many people crave....but no, he chose to overcome adversity by being a family man, caring for his fiance, his daughter, and his family. He was not gunned down while hanging out at strip clubs, he was ruthlessly murdered while at home with his loved ones, not in a flashy 5 million dollar sprawling mansion overlooking the beach, but rather, in a modest home that he cherished with his family.
Sit back and watch the Redskins.

SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!

Postby pxalpha97 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:14 am

the can't change the numbers due to nfl rules, but they can highlight the 21 yd lines, which i think would be a great idea.

Never knew that, thanks for the info. Highlighting the 21 yard line is just as good.

Hog

Postby Charm City Sports » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:21 am

They have to retire the number.

There is no way that someone could ever come into the organization and fill ST's shoes.

Just no way.

# 21 will forever be known as Sean's number.

My 2 cents

Hog

Postby WuSkinsFan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:33 am

Charm City Sports wrote:They have to retire the number.

There is no way that someone could ever come into the organization and fill ST's shoes.

Just no way.

My 2 cents

=D>
After every game, every play & every highlight, I'll always remember #21. RIP Sean.

Hog

Postby LOSTHOG » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:38 am

just because they may not officially retire the number doesn't mean it will be used again. I'm sure our organization will come up with a classy tribute to ST and his family. Right now there is too much grief involved to think clearly.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:39 am

You know, I hear all of ya.. I can care less what the police investigation finds out for real guys. The kid matured right before our eyes and turned himself around. Granted, he may have had some "bad" ties with these guys that murdered him but he changed his life around to become a better man. I personally would love to see it retired even if its reallistically not possible. I agree with you all, if it can't be done, Snyder should do something else in Fedex Field. I love the idea about highlighting the 21 yard line. Possibly putting up his picture around the stadium somewhere with all (past/present) Redskins signatures?

:(

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:40 am

I agree...retire the number.

This is not a Benoit-like situation. Sean was shot by someone who broke into his house in the middle of the night.

The reason he felt "some need to sleep with a machete next to his bed" was because his house had already been broken into once within the past 8 days.

Personally, I sleep with a .357 next to mine, and my house has never been broken into.

They don't have to retire his number this Sunday, but they should retire it.

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:57 am

Just no way.

My 2 cents

I understand the sentiment surrounding Sean, but to suggest that #21 belongs to him after 1 Pro Bowl year, shows extremely short term memories, and ignores the accomplishments of these other Redskins #21 wearers, whose numbers were not retired*:

SMOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

TERRY ALLEN

EARNEST BYNER

MIKE NELMS

Three of these guys are on the 70 Greatest Redskins List, and have, to my knowledge, a more impressive resume than Taylor.

I'm not trying to burst y'all's bubble, but do wish to offer some perspective. My 2 cents

I'm sure the Redskins will find a great way to honor Sean, when all is said and done.

*Of course, Smoot is not retired, but I hope you get the point.
Back and better than ever!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:01 am

Great point.. lets just hope Snyder gets creative and does something. Snyder's a fan like us, he'll step up, I can almost gaurantee it!

Hog

Postby redskingush » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:09 am

They may not retire the number but maybe it will never be issued to anothert player again, an unofficial retirement.
GO SKINS GO!!

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:22 am

JPFair wrote:The best way to honor Sean Taylor is to go out every Sunday for the rest of the season and to dedicate each game to Sean Taylor. A black band around the jersey with #21, enshrinement in the ring of fame, a statue outside the stadium....I would prefer over a retired jersey.

I can't even think straight right now.

you took the words right out of my mouth..go out on the field and show sean is still a part of this team and wear a 21 on the helmets and a band on the jerseys in his honor.

i,m still having a hardtime as well ..literally a kid with his life still ahead of him but someone decided otherwise...

i can,t think at all ..
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:26 am

REDEEMEDSKIN wrote:

Just no way.

My 2 cents

I understand the sentiment surrounding Sean, but to suggest that #21 belongs to him after 1 Pro Bowl year, shows extremely short term memories, and ignores the accomplishments of these other Redskins #21 wearers, whose numbers were not retired*:

SMOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

TERRY ALLEN

EARNEST BYNER

MIKE NELMS

Three of these guys are on the 70 Greatest Redskins List, and have, to my knowledge, a more impressive resume than Taylor.

I'm not trying to burst y'all's bubble, but do wish to offer some perspective. My 2 cents

I'm sure the Redskins will find a great way to honor Sean, when all is said and done.

*Of course, Smoot is not retired, but I hope you get the point.

thats putting it straight about the other 21,s in redskins history..
mike nelms ,ernest byner..
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Postby Dirk Diggler » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:33 am

Maybe rename the field Sean Taylor Field. Or possibly build a monument to him at the entrance.

piggie

Postby MossIsBoss88 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:35 am

JPFair wrote:The best way to honor Sean Taylor is to go out every Sunday for the rest of the season and to dedicate each game to Sean Taylor. A black band around the jersey with #21, enshrinement in the ring of fame, a statue outside the stadium....I would prefer over a retired jersey.

I can't even think straight right now.

I agree. something of that stature... something on everyones jersey like how people wore the 9/11 pins
There are only two teams I root for in the NFL. The Skins, and whoever is playing Dallas.

It's okay that we drafted a Landry. After this season, the crygirls will have a new association with that name.

Return to Sean Taylor Tribute