another 'taylor' image courtesy of NC43Hog

In memory of Sean Taylor. Please post all thoughts, well-wishes and prayers here.
Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:15 am

REDEEMEDSKIN wrote:Boss, I think the idea sounds great. Who would determine the award recipient? Would it be open to voting (either on the THN homepage or in a poll in the forums)?

Whatever you decide, you have my vote.

Too many semantics to let people vote unfortunately... we operate on the fly and in real time... by the time enough opinions were expressed... the article would be too late IMO. I would probably be the one who decided because I would probably be the one that wrote the corresponding article... but thanks for the suggestion and maybe we can do an 'annual version' of the award where people could vote on it.

There are some online websites where THN could actually have NC43's design made into a genuine "Burgundy Heart" patch or pin. Those could actually be given to the players. Maybe your source for THN merchandise could help.
If you feel this would be too costly or too difficult to actually distribute to the Redskins players I would understand. Just a thought.

... and I suppose if we supported a team that supported a site dedicated to them, we could do that.

But we don't... so we can't. There would be no way to even get the recipient the award unfortunately.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:54 am

I thought that might be the case.
Here's a second idea, if you have the time to bother with it:

What about having said patch made for THN members? Perhaps something that could be sewn on our Sean Taylor jerseys? I know I would be willing to pay for this ahead of time. I won't speak for other members. We all know what happened the last time I did that.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:01 am

W don't want to have anything done up with the Redskins' likeness on it (which the medal has) for fear that the big bad licencing gestapo would come knocking.

I'm pretty sure that a simple graphic paying homage like it does won't cause a problem, but as a lawyer... why I'd even need to mention it, I don't know.

Think like a lawyer... NFL... Redskins... me doing up something with a semblance of the Redskin logo on it... I ALWAYS respect the rules.

While you will obviously see some Redskin graphics on the site, almost all of our graphics are custom THN stuff and all of our images are images that are our own property and taken in situations where we are allowed to retain the rights (FREE practices at training camp). We don't use game photos, we don't use other people's photos without permission... we basically do everything we cn to make sure that the Redskins know our only goal is to support the team and not capitalize on their branding.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:04 am

I worked for a newspaper that was given box seats to Redskins game (we weren't alone in that, this was pre-crackdown) and our advertising department decided (stupidly) to give away two of the tickets in a raffle and chose to use the Redskins symbol in promoting the giveaway. Redskins response: a lawsuit that was settled out-of-court and the revocation of the tickets. So, from experience, no, they don't take kindly to that kind of thing.
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:06 am

BossHog wrote:W don't want to have anything done up with the Redskins' likeness on it (which the medal has) for fear that the big bad licencing gestapo would come knocking.

I'm pretty sure that a simple graphic paying homage like it does won't cause a problem, but as a lawyer... why I'd even need to mention it, I don't know.

Think like a lawyer... NFL... Redskins... me doing up something with a semblance of the Redskin logo on it... I ALWAYS respect the rules.

While you will obviously see some Redskin graphics on the site, almost all of our graphics are custom THN stuff and all of our images are images that are our own property and taken in situations where we are allowed to retain the rights (FREE practices at training camp). We don't use game photos, we don't use other people's photos without permission... we basically do everything we cn to make sure that the Redskins know our only goal is to support the team and not capitalize on their branding.

:thump: Me smacking myself. Heart working overdrive. Brain not working this morning. I thought your original idea was a good one. I was just thinking about some way for THN to create a permanent tribute for the staff and membership. I'll stop trying to think now. Obviously, it just isn't happening this morning.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:24 am

Oh hey don't sweat it at all, and feedback is always appreciated... but this place isn't run by some kids with some web space. We've been doing this a while and that's BECAUSE we're mindful of these things IMO.

I just figured when you put down your fan cap and picked up your lawyer hat that it would be pretty easy to see. :up:

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:27 am

Fios wrote:I worked for a newspaper that was given box seats to Redskins game (we weren't alone in that, this was pre-crackdown) and our advertising department decided (stupidly) to give away two of the tickets in a raffle and chose to use the Redskins symbol in promoting the giveaway. Redskins response: a lawsuit that was settled out-of-court and the revocation of the tickets. So, from experience, no, they don't take kindly to that kind of thing.

I have no issue with their rights and try to always respect them... and to be honest and fair to the organization... they have never had any issues with us or tried to impede us in any way. We have had one or two requests made by them that were honored, but trust me on this one... THEY LEAVE US ALONE COMPLETELY.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:28 am

BossHog wrote:
Fios wrote:I worked for a newspaper that was given box seats to Redskins game (we weren't alone in that, this was pre-crackdown) and our advertising department decided (stupidly) to give away two of the tickets in a raffle and chose to use the Redskins symbol in promoting the giveaway. Redskins response: a lawsuit that was settled out-of-court and the revocation of the tickets. So, from experience, no, they don't take kindly to that kind of thing.

I have no issue with their rights and try to always respect them... and to be honest and fair to the organization... they have never had any issues with us or tried to impede us in any way.

To be clear, I am not suggesting the Redskins erred or were unduly harsh in protecting their copyright, just to demonstrate that they will.

BossHog wrote:We have had one or two requests made by them that were honored, but trust me on this one... THEY LEAVE US ALONE COMPLETELY.

:lol: :lol: ... no need to convince me of that :D
RIP Sean Taylor

Return to Sean Taylor Tribute