Draft Countdown

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
spudstr04

Draft Countdown

Postby spudstr04 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:46 pm

When will the draft countdown begin? lol....I am already thinking about next year...I'll see you guys at Training Camp...have a wonderful off-season.
#21 = Forever in our hearts

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Re: Draft Countdown

Postby tribeofjudah » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:50 pm

spudstr04 wrote:When will the draft countdown begin? lol....I am already thinking about next year...I'll see you guys at Training Camp...have a wonderful off-season.

Landry was great today. Hope we can find others in the draft to join us.... With the same Intensity.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

swine

Re: Draft Countdown

Postby Pudgeman37 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:56 pm

spudstr04 wrote:When will the draft countdown begin? lol....I am already thinking about next year...I'll see you guys at Training Camp...have a wonderful off-season.

I'm starting now, but I can guarantee one player with the Skins:

Dexter Manley, Jr.

I will say the Skins need role players in the D-Line, and one cornerback. I'm not worried about the O-line because you can get them off the streets. If there is one thing, I think everyone agrees is a tall possession receiver in 10-20 yd range. I see in the draft and how it plays out, there are a few available at the time, so this season should be in good shape. Now, they have to trade Brandon lloyd and someone will bite, just get a 7th rounder if you want.
There's a term for my signature, REDSKINSESQUE!!!

Hog

Postby SKINFAN » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:14 pm

Safety, we need another safety. I'd love to see Springs at FS and Laron at SS, but that will never happen... Kam Chancellor from Vtech @ 6'4" 220 as a cornerback, but he's just a Sophomore. We need a compliment for laron, Pierson is a good backup but a liability if left in there for more than one play, he seems lost at times.
#21 (36) This IS and will always be the High watermark where all new DB's are measured.

Proverbs 27:17

Hog

Postby Snout » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:30 pm

First Choice: Pass Rushing DE
Second Choice: Tall Physical Receiver
Third Choice: Defensive Back

I don't think the Redskins need a first round DB. No doubt Williams will want one, but I don't like his defenses when he is loaded with talent in the secondary. I think his calls are too conservative. After Sean got killed he started taking more risks and the defense as a whole played better. Remember his first year here? He did not have as much talent, but the defense as a unit was better.

Hog

Postby LOSTHOG » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:50 pm

Before the draft is the feeding frenzy of Free Agency. Hopefully we can get a role player or two w/o breaking the bank

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:57 pm

My wishes:

1. A big, strong, fast tough WR. Someone like Art Monk or Charley Taylor.

2. OL. Maybe even two linemen...seems like you can't ever have enough

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:04 pm

The priority has to be both lines. We desperately need to get younger on the offensive line and more talented on the defensive line.

Additionally, we need a big receiver, someone like Sweed from Texas or Kelly from Oklahoma.

Corner is the other major area of focus for the offseason. Springs may or may not be back, and Rogers probably wont be ready to start the season and likely won't be 100% when he does come back.

I don't think that it's been mentioned in this thread yet but linebacker is another area that could be addressed in the draft. LFB is entrenched in the middle and Blades his replacement down the road, but Marcus isn't playing the way he used to and Rocky is likely out for most of 2008 so adding another player there for the future would be a good thing.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby LOSTHOG » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:40 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:I don't think that it's been mentioned in this thread yet but linebacker is another area that could be addressed in the draft. LFB is entrenched in the middle and Blades his replacement down the road, but Marcus isn't playing the way he used to and Rocky is likely out for most of 2008 so adding another player there for the future would be a good thing.

I don't think it's a 1st round need, but maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Just out of the ACC there are 3 pretty good prospects with Xavier Adibi and Vince Hall from VT and the Dunbar kid from BC, and out of the SEC (sorry the only two conferences I watch) Ali Highsmith out of LSU and maybe even Jasper Brinkley out of South Carolina. We should have plenty of LBs to choose from maybe even as late as the 3rd round, possibly even later.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:11 am

A big tall physical wide receiver is a must.

Also defensive line has got to be addressed this time around. A saftie, corner, olb, and some depth at offensive line.

I really hope Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen come back full strength next year. Then offensive line would not be as big of a concern. Still one more offensive lineman would be great.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:25 am

HEROHAMO wrote:A big tall physical wide receiver is a must.

Also defensive line has got to be addressed this time around. A saftie, corner, olb, and some depth at offensive line.

I really hope Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen come back full strength next year. Then offensive line would not be as big of a concern. Still one more offensive lineman would be great.

I don't think that oline is necessarily a big need for next season as far as the starters are concerned, but we need to draft oline for depth and eventual replacements. Our oline is one of the oldest in the league, with every single projected starter well over the age of 30. When we lost Dockery we had no young players available to take his place, and having to rely on guys like Fabini is never a good thing.
Suck and Luck

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:37 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:

I don't think that oline is necessarily a big need for next season as far as the starters are concerned, but we need to draft oline for depth and eventual replacements. Our oline is one of the oldest in the league, with every single projected starter well over the age of 30. When we lost Dockery we had no young players available to take his place, and having to rely on guys like Fabini is never a good thing.

Fabini? Man did you see that play yesterday when he tried to block a guy with one hand? I think it was the DT he got to Collins and sacked him.
There was no other defender in front of him and it seemed like he let the guy go right by him. Geez that one got me mad.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby LOSTHOG » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:58 am

Aren't Fabini and Puccilo both FA this year? If they come back it will be more of familiarity than skill level. With all of his starts Fabini may get a couple of offers from elsewhere. Teams are always looking for line help.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:55 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

Fabini? Man did you see that play yesterday when he tried to block a guy with one hand? I think it was the DT he got to Collins and sacked him.
There was no other defender in front of him and it seemed like he let the guy go right by him. Geez that one got me mad.

I also remember the play where Fabini basically tackled CP and then fell on top of him. Fabini is one player that I hope is not back with the Skins next season.
Suck and Luck

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:58 am

LOSTHOG wrote:Aren't Fabini and Puccilo both FA this year? If they come back it will be more of familiarity than skill level. With all of his starts Fabini may get a couple of offers from elsewhere. Teams are always looking for line help.

Let 'em both go. I think, however, that Puccilo will stay b/c he's our back up center IIRC. That's a position you need stability even at the 2nd string.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Return to General Manager's Office