Off-season move

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Off-season move

Postby por-tiz2skins » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:18 pm

Well its over for us this season guys.Now whats your plain?.

Well heres my idea.

Release:

Daniels
Brunell
Lloyd
Pralou
Springs(as good as he is we have to get younger)
Torrance(awful guy)
Jansen

FA signing:

Marcus Trufunt(Today he showed why hes in the pro-bowl and today he showed how much of a good young CB like him would fit with us)

Javon Walker(If he gets release and If he comes at a right price.But hes about 28-29 and he has 5 years left in him and has proven to be a reliable WR.only thing that worries me is him being injured.But thats the fact in why I want a 2nd round WR as a future and as a back up plain.

Thats it no more FA at that point unless we find very very cheap guys.

Draft:

1)Calais Campbell(He might not of shown how every one thought,he would in this year for him.But hes 6'7 and hes to to tough to not pay attention .He might not of been a great pressure this year but sure as hell is a great run stopper with still a great chance to become a good pass rusher in the NFL.Im sure he'll do alot better than Daniels (Ehhh)

2)WR-D.J hall -Big tall fast WR is all we need.After watching this game we are indeed in need of another tall WR to give our O a much better weapon.

3)RT-Duane Brown -Heyer couldn't hold up Kearney and I forgive him for that but we all cant know for sure if he'll ,get any better.

4th=Traded it for Kendell

5th-CB-Jack Williams-Kent Sta.:I mean lets get our CB depth younger and keep it that way.We probably gonna keep Springs or sign Trufunt but if Rogers-Smoot-Springs or Trufunt(if he signs) comes in and one or two,gets injured than I dont think we want Torrance.

6th-Marcus Dixion-We might have no need for another DE but we also want to increase the pressure in situations and we pick up this pass rusher.

7th-Dont care.

But thats my move nothing of big changes besides maybe Springs and Jansen but well add more and younger depth for better players.
R.I.P

Sean Taylor-21#
Greatest safety ever and the most feared hardest hitting safety ever.

"I swear I'll Honor the number 21#"

-Clinton Portis

Hog

Postby jazzskins » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:49 pm

Do you have any idea how huge off a cap penalty you would be taking to let go of those guys? Springs is playing very well and you want to cut him because you want to get younger? Why not just draft for youth and still keep Springs on the roster and avoid taking a huge cap hit....and ruining your depth?

Hog

Re: Off-season move

Postby LOSTHOG » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:22 am

por-tiz2skins wrote:Release:
Daniels
Brunell
Lloyd
Pralou
Springs(as good as he is we have to get younger)
Torrance(awful guy)
Jansen

FA signing:
Marcus Trufunt
Javon Walker

There are enough salary cap gurus on this board to totally rip apart your plan. I'm sure some of the guys you mentioned above will be released. Before we get too cut happy we have to look at how it affects the cap. sometimes just like with wives, it 's cheaper to keep them.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:27 am

jazzskins wrote:Do you have any idea how huge off a cap penalty you would be taking to let go of those guys? Springs is playing very well and you want to cut him because you want to get younger? Why not just draft for youth and still keep Springs on the roster and avoid taking a huge cap hit....and ruining your depth?

I'm not sure if we have a choice when it comes to Springs. If he doesn't restructure (which he didn't want to do this past offseason), we might not have a choice but to cut him. Considering Carlos is a huge question mark for next year, retaining Springs is a priority imo.
Suck and Luck

piggie

Postby tj123456 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:19 am

i like leigh torrence alot... he is ten times better than ade jimoh

Hog

Postby LOSTHOG » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:03 pm

tj123456 wrote:i like leigh torrence alot... he is ten times better than ade jimoh

I agree with that. Torrence hasn't shown me a lot as far as being talented enough to consider one day starting, but I don't think he has played all that badly. In NE he gave up a TD to Moss after he was shoved 5 yards back on the play. Yesterday on the trap to the FB I thought he would have made the play except for having his jersey about pulled off from behind (also not called). I actually thought he had pretty good coverage on several plays. He had one sure interception that he dropped, but we've seen that a lot over the past few years. He works cheap, I say keep him.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:56 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
jazzskins wrote:Do you have any idea how huge off a cap penalty you would be taking to let go of those guys? Springs is playing very well and you want to cut him because you want to get younger? Why not just draft for youth and still keep Springs on the roster and avoid taking a huge cap hit....and ruining your depth?

I'm not sure if we have a choice when it comes to Springs. If he doesn't restructure (which he didn't want to do this past offseason), we might not have a choice but to cut him. Considering Carlos is a huge question mark for next year, retaining Springs is a priority imo.

Completely agree, Cane....
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:38 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:

Why? Why would we have to cut Springs. If we cut him we only save roughly $2.5M against the cap.

Riddle me this Batman. Were can you find a CB playing as well as Springs that we can sign for $2.5M?

It would be great if he restructures, but from a talent/cap savings pespective we can't afford to let him go!

If we let him go we would have to draft a CB or sign one to a HUGE FA contract to replace him or we will be starting the season with Smoot and Torrence as our starting CB. Not to mention who the 3rd CB would be.

If we draft a CB then we can't use that mid-first round pick for what it should be used for - the best OG or pass rushing DE on the board at the time.

Springs has at least one more good year in him and that would give us enough time to get Rogers healthy (weather he can play once healthy will be the question?)

Not that you commented on it, but any talk of letting Jansen go is just crazy!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby BnGhog » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:06 pm

We should have CP give Springs a little talk about restructuring.

I would like to keep our core guys. Guys like Daniels is great to have depth even if we draft a replacement. Cut some of his backups.

IMO the restructures is key this offseason. IF these guys want a SB and IF these guys want improvement. There are some things worth more than money for some people. Any guy you let go, you are letting go depth. Sure you have to make upgrades, but the guys you keep are the guys that are family in the lockeroom.

Same for guys like Jansen. We have huge Jansen fans here, and for those, it is hard to see that he was getting beat a lot when he was playing early in the season. He should have to win his place back IMO. And if Heyer out plays him and he don't win his place back, he's is great Depth.
I firmly believe the Patriots are the antichrist.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:32 pm

[quote="BnGhog]Same for guys like Jansen. We have huge Jansen fans here, and for those, it is hard to see that he was getting beat a lot when he was playing early in the season. He should have to win his place back IMO. And if Heyer out plays him and he don't win his place back, he's is great Depth.[/quote]

If Heyer can beat out Jansen then I say we would have some nice OL depth at RT and Heyer should start. That being said, I can't see it happening.

Jansen WAS NOT getting beat A LOT. The worst game I can rember him having he gave up maybe two sacks. Has he been playing as well as he was 5 years ago? No. Is he still better than most of the RTs in the NFL? Yes!

We really need a stud OG (or 2). I would much rather have Pete Kendall a back up (which is what he was going to be on the JETS) than our starting LG. We need to improve at both OG positions. Thomas is a HUGE improvement over Fabini, but can he stay healthy. We need another OG with his skills in case he gets hurt. Our running game is a shell of itself without him.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:37 pm

BnGhog wrote:We have huge Jansen fans here

Hey now, Scott may have a bit of a belly, but I wouldn't call him huge. :shock: :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby LOSTHOG » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:29 pm

Heyer is young and he is big. Maybe they should look at putting him inside. I don't think he can beat out Jansen if he comes back healthy.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:06 pm

Heyer is still quality back-up. He's played both tackles now. I think he's quality material for molding and even a potential starter in the future.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby por-tiz2skins » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:20 am

VetSkinsFan wrote:Heyer is still quality back-up. He's played both tackles now. I think he's quality material for molding and even a potential starter in the future.
Imagine him this year full work outs,full potential and learning.

Jansen has to go we would get alot of cap space.
R.I.P

Sean Taylor-21#
Greatest safety ever and the most feared hardest hitting safety ever.

"I swear I'll Honor the number 21#"

-Clinton Portis

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:02 am

por-tiz2skins wrote:Jansen has to go we would get alot of cap space.

Considering we just signed him to a 5 year, 23 million dollar deal last February (with 10 mill in bonus money), I think you're wrong. Just the bonus money from thisextension alone would count 8 million against next year's cap to cut him.

There are others here who are far better at the salcap than I am, but it looks like cutting him and keeping him cost roughly the same.

Return to General Manager's Office