What are our offseason needs?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!

What are our offseason needs?

Postby rustedrootdown » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:03 am

What do you think we need in FA and the draft? I looked over the roster and came up with a list of postions I think need to be upgraded and suggestions:

WR-Obviously we have all heard the Chad Johnson talk and at first I didn't want to hear any of it. However after watching Pardon the interuption today I thought it might be a good idea. Still I think we have a good number one in Santana Moss and would prefer we not spend as much cap on someone such as Chad Johnson. My suggestion is to go after D.J. Hackett. He already knows Zorns system and I believe he would make a great number 2 reciever opposite Moss. A second suggestion would be to trade for Roy Williams from Detroit. I think we could get him for our second round or perhaps Betts and our third. This is obviously just a suggestion. My main pick to would be for Hackett

DE-I trully believe that this is what our 1 pick should be used on. I havent looked at the draft information yet so I don't have a clear cut suggestion however I think that we could pick up a free agent as well. My suggestion would be a more obscure player such as Antwaan Odom or Justin Smith. Someone who may cost us less money. If I had to pick though I would say go with a draft pick

DT-I think that we could get Kris Jenkins from the panthers for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I think that he would go great next to Griffin with Golston and Montgomery backing them up. Another suggestion that would not cost us any draft picks would be Corey Williams. He should be an unrestricted free agent and a good signing. My suggestion would be to sign Corey Williams

LB-I like Marcus Washington and Rocky Mcintosh but you might get a season out of them together. I actually do believe that Lance Briggs would be a good signing at this point. Washington and Mcintosh could battle it out for the third lb spot and the loser could be the backup. Lance Briggs would truly be a good signing.

CB-Keep Springs!!! But I have another suggestion for him. We should use our second round pick on a CB or sign a lower tier guy like Eugene Wilson to be the number 3 behind Smoot and Rodgers. I think though using our [/b]2nd pick is the best bet.

S-I think that Shawn Springs should convert to safety. It would prolong his career like Troy Vincent and make the secondary better.

With my suggestions this is how our starters would look:

QB Jason Campbell
HB Clinton Portis
FB Mike Sellers
TE Chris Cooley
WR Santana Moss
WR
D.J. Hackett
LT Chris Samuels
LG Pete Kendell
C Casey Rabach
RG Randy Thomas
RT Jon Jansen

DE Andre Carter
DT Cornelious Griffin
DT
Corey Williams
DE
1st Round Pick
LLB [b]Lance Briggs

MLB London Fletcher
RLB Rocky Mcintosh/Marcus Washington
CB Fred Smoot
SS Shawn Springs
FS Laron Landry
CB Carlos Rodgers/[/b]2nd Pick[/b]

Also:
1. I think we need to keep Albright, Thrash and Campbell to keep our special teams kicking.
2. We should draft linemen

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:12 am

I agree with some and I disagree with some.

Your idea for a WR is nice, but don't forget like most do, Mix is a tall receiver and a big contributor on ST. Give him a chance to move up in the WR corps. I do NOT believe we need the drama that comes with ocho cinqo...we can get talent elsewhere.

Sometime soon, we need to look into a FB. Not necessarily this year, but probably next year. I like Sellers, but he's 33 this year, so it's something to keep in the back of your mind. He may prove me wrong and not diminish for another 3-4 years, but still something to watch.

O-Line: All starters are over 30. We need to get youth; we had a good start last year in Heyer. Always need at least 3 quality back-up lineman. Look at what we went thru last year......

D-Line: I'm still not completley sold on Golston/Montgomery, but I haven't condemned 'em, either. We need one star on our D-Line somewhere somehow. One star that draws consistant double teams (see Strahan in his heyday) leaves 1vs1 for the rest where a good(not great) player can excel. I also don't believe in keeping Daniels/Griffin in a starting role. Both are injury prone and I wouldn't want tpo worry about 1/2 my starting D-Line every week like that.

LB: I'm cool with what we hav efor next year. I'd like to hold on to Godfrey for 1 more year, he did well in his role this past year. Rocky's had bad knees since college and I'm not cool with his lack of durability. I wouldn't hvae drafted him; he's not going to be reliable in the long term. Fletcher is getting old, same situation as Sellers, though. He could be productive for another 3-5 years like Seau [-o< . Washington has a few years I think, hopefully he just had a bad year last year with injuries.

CB: I'm hoping that Eubanks/Torrence can pan out to at least a quality nickel back or better. If Springs stays, we'll start Smoot/Springs and maybe Carlos will show up this year and live up to his draft pick.

Safety: I would like to see what Doughty and Landry do together for a full season. If we can't pick up a quality back-up thru FA, late round draft.

I've read that Betts will be doing returns this year and Rock is departing. Rock believes that he's a starting caliber RB and deserves premium money, which he doesn't deserve. He's a solid return man, but he'll never be great. I believe a lot of his success is due to the ST coach and the ST coverage.

I believe that with smart operations in FA and the draft, we can really do a lot of good for the coming years.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby TincoSkin » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:17 pm

we need O line and D line, thats all.. id take ocho cinco but thats a danny call. if we have a deep set of lines we can do anything. imagine if JC was never pressured? wow that would be somthing.
GIBBS FOR LIFE

Hey hey hey, go Greenway!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:27 am

No more midget receivers!
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

cleg

Postby cleg » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:38 am

A new owner.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:58 am

cleg wrote:A new owner.

And GM :shock:
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

D. J Hackett

Postby Skins5235 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:03 am

is the best choice as the Top WR, because he knows Zorn offense. and probably we wont spend as much as getting Chad.

Anthony Mix

Postby Skins5235 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:07 am

the need to give more of chance next year to develop in special teams. He is a big receiver and he did really well in the Seatle Game.

So the WR Corps will be Moss, Hackett, Randal El , Mix and Cooley

This is the Perfect Reciever for the SKins

Postby Skins5235 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:15 am

D.J. Hackett
Height : 6-2
Weight : 208
College : Colorado
NFL Exp : 4
Seahawks Exp: 4
Career Games / Starts : 27/8
Birth Date : 7/3/1981
How Acquired : D5-'04

This is the guy that we need in Washington. he knows the new system and he is not an overpaid player

Re: What are our offseason needs?

Postby Skins5235 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:24 am

rustedrootdown wrote:What do you think we need in FA and the draft? I looked over the roster and came up with a list of postions I think need to be upgraded and suggestions:

WR-Obviously we have all heard the Chad Johnson talk and at first I didn't want to hear any of it. However after watching Pardon the interuption today I thought it might be a good idea. Still I think we have a good number one in Santana Moss and would prefer we not spend as much cap on someone such as Chad Johnson. My suggestion is to go after D.J. Hackett. He already knows Zorns system and I believe he would make a great number 2 reciever opposite Moss. A second suggestion would be to trade for Roy Williams from Detroit. I think we could get him for our second round or perhaps Betts and our third. This is obviously just a suggestion. My main pick to would be for Hackett

DE-I trully believe that this is what our 1 pick should be used on. I havent looked at the draft information yet so I don't have a clear cut suggestion however I think that we could pick up a free agent as well. My suggestion would be a more obscure player such as Antwaan Odom or Justin Smith. Someone who may cost us less money. If I had to pick though I would say go with a draft pick

DT-I think that we could get Kris Jenkins from the panthers for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I think that he would go great next to Griffin with Golston and Montgomery backing them up. Another suggestion that would not cost us any draft picks would be Corey Williams. He should be an unrestricted free agent and a good signing. My suggestion would be to sign Corey Williams

LB-I like Marcus Washington and Rocky Mcintosh but you might get a season out of them together. I actually do believe that Lance Briggs would be a good signing at this point. Washington and Mcintosh could battle it out for the third lb spot and the loser could be the backup. Lance Briggs would truly be a good signing.

CB-Keep Springs!!! But I have another suggestion for him. We should use our second round pick on a CB or sign a lower tier guy like Eugene Wilson to be the number 3 behind Smoot and Rodgers. I think though using our [/b]2nd pick is the best bet.

S-I think that Shawn Springs should convert to safety. It would prolong his career like Troy Vincent and make the secondary better.

With my suggestions this is how our starters would look:

QB Jason Campbell
HB Clinton Portis
FB Mike Sellers
TE Chris Cooley
WR Santana Moss
WR
D.J. Hackett
LT Chris Samuels
LG Pete Kendell
C Casey Rabach
RG Randy Thomas
RT Jon Jansen

DE Andre Carter
DT Cornelious Griffin
DT
Corey Williams
DE
1st Round Pick
LLB [b]Lance Briggs

MLB London Fletcher
RLB Rocky Mcintosh/Marcus Washington
CB Fred Smoot
SS Shawn Springs
FS Laron Landry
CB Carlos Rodgers/[/b]2nd Pick[/b]

Also:
1. I think we need to keep Albright, Thrash and Campbell to keep our special teams kicking.
2. We should draft linemen

Agree, WE need D.J Hackett, he knows the system. also push Anthony Mix he is the receiver of future.

Postby yupchagee » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:50 pm

We need a #2 WR. Hackett is 1 possibility there but the draft is very deep in WR's. I'd look for 1 in the 32nd or 3rd round.
We need a LDE as Daniels will be 35 when camp starts. Evans is a good backup but not a starter. Wilson at 240# is not an every down DE. I would use our 1st rd pick here.
Our 3rd best guard is Fabini. We need a good young interior lineman. There are some available in FA or we could get 1 in the 2nd or 3rd round.
We need depth at DT, S & QB. This can be done through a combination of draft & FA.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Canes Skin

Re: This is the Perfect Reciever for the SKins

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Skins5235 wrote:D.J. Hackett
Height : 6-2
Weight : 208
College : Colorado
NFL Exp : 4
Seahawks Exp: 4
Career Games / Starts : 27/8
Birth Date : 7/3/1981
How Acquired : D5-'04

This is the guy that we need in Washington. he knows the new system and he is not an overpaid player

Forget Hackett. He is a talented guy, but way too injury prone. He's missed over 30 games in his 4 NFL seasons.
Suck and Luck

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:44 am

If that's the case, then I agree. I'm big on consistancy and reliability. If he doesn't have it, then I say make a pass.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

piggie

Postby jdmills23 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:26 pm

The Atlanta Falcons continued their franchise makeover in earnest on Friday, releasing tight end Alge Crumpler, quarterback Byron Leftwich, offensive tackle Wayne Gandy and four other players.

The team also announced it had released cornerback Lewis Sanders, wide receiver Jamin Elliott, linebacker Marcus Wilkins and defensive tackle Rod Coleman.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3247718

I know we need an interior lineman. What about Rod Coleman?

Coleman, a Pro Bowl selection two years ago who led NFL interior linemen with 52½ sacks from 2001-07, hurt his hand and triceps in Atlanta's 31-7 loss to Tampa Bay last week.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3121055
Since vinnie said on redskins tv today that we need a DT Im thinking this might be worth looking into.

Postby yupchagee » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:35 pm

jdmills23 wrote:
The Atlanta Falcons continued their franchise makeover in earnest on Friday, releasing tight end Alge Crumpler, quarterback Byron Leftwich, offensive tackle Wayne Gandy and four other players.

The team also announced it had released cornerback Lewis Sanders, wide receiver Jamin Elliott, linebacker Marcus Wilkins and defensive tackle Rod Coleman.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3247718

I know we need an interior lineman. What about Rod Coleman?

Coleman, a Pro Bowl selection two years ago who led NFL interior linemen with 52½ sacks from 2001-07, hurt his hand and triceps in Atlanta's 31-7 loss to Tampa Bay last week.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3121055
Since vinnie said on redskins tv today that we need a DT Im thinking this might be worth looking into.

He'll be 32 when the season starts. How much does he have left in the tank?
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Return to General Manager's Office