Should we make a run at DeAngelo Hall?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:26 pm

Rumors of Hall Deal

The Washington Redskins are among the teams being linked to cornerback DeAngelo Hall in a potential trade with the Atlanta Falcons, but an NFL source said Saturday it is unlikely the Redskins will be involved in such a deal.

The Redskins consider a trade for Hall too costly both in terms of what they would have to surrender to get him and what they would have to pay Hall, said the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because no trade discussions involving Hall have been acknowledged publicly.

The Falcons reportedly are seeking a first-round draft choice for Hall, who is attending the scouting combine and said here in recent days that he doesn't think he will be back in Atlanta next season. The New York Giants reportedly are willing to surrender their first-round pick for Hall. Both Giants General Manager Jerry Reese and Falcons Coach Mike Smith declined to comment Saturday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01797.html
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:56 pm

Jake wrote:

The Redskins consider a trade for Hall too costly both in terms of what they would have to surrender to get him and what they would have to pay Hall

Is that intelligent thought I detect out of Ashburn? Unpossible.

The Redskins are in play for just about everyone, despite their cap situation.

Is this because every free agent raises the specter of Redskins interest, thus driving their price up for other teams...or because the Skins are actually interested?

I think it's more the former.

Redskins. The Boogeyman of Free Agency.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:34 am

We always are in the play for everyone in FA.

piggie

Postby num1skinsfan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:48 am

We need to let these "coach killer" free agents go. We have a new staff, let them settle in, we don't need a "I know everything and you can't coach me" guy on this team with a new staff. I know he's a talent, but whats the price, A first rounder plus some & 80 million dollar contract.... Risk is not worth the reward.... pass on this one...
"The harder I work the luckier I get"....
- Jack Kent Cook 1983

piggie

Postby HanburgerHelper » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:32 am

DHall is a great talent but I'm convinced we need to build from the ground floor up and he's on the declining end of his skills spectrum. Big contract for him at this stage doesn't make sense to me.

It makes more sense for a team like the Giants or a more serious SB contender (Colts, Dallas) to take him for the short run. Not saying it's impossible for the Skins to contend. Just implying I've seen a lot better talent pools on past Skins teams that didn't get very far in the hunt. I still think we need a QB. JC hasn't proved anything to me. Auburn is no QB factory.

Besides, although the Skins need corner help, I don't think it was a big weakness in the stretch after losing Rogers for the season. Springs is the question mark. I thought we'd be better off parting with him this year but if we can retain his services at a reasonable price for a season, I'd consider retaining his services. Love to see Byron Westbrook develop here and if there's a no brainer CB pick on the board, grab him.
A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." (Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy)

piggie

Postby HanburgerHelper » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:33 am

DHall is a great talent but I'm convinced we need to build from the ground floor up and he's on the declining end of his skills spectrum. Big contract for him at this stage doesn't make sense to me.

It makes more sense for a team like the Giants or a more serious SB contender (Colts, Dallas) to take him for the short run. Not saying it's impossible for the Skins to contend. Just implying I've seen a lot better talent pools on past Skins teams that didn't get very far in the hunt. I still think we need a QB. JC hasn't proved anything to me. Auburn is no QB factory.

Besides, although the Skins need corner help, I don't think it was a big weakness in the stretch after losing Rogers for the season. Springs is the question mark. I thought we'd be better off parting with him this year but if we can retain his services at a reasonable price for a season, I'd consider retaining his services. Love to see Byron Westbrook develop here and if there's a no brainer CB pick on the board, grab him.
A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." (Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy)

piggie

Postby HanburgerHelper » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:33 am

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:46 am

Note, I specifically do NOT want Hall, but some of the things you write are just crazy.

HanburgerHelper wrote:DHall is a great talent but I'm convinced we need to build from the ground floor up and he's on the declining end of his skills spectrum. Big contract for him at this stage doesn't make sense to me.

He's 24! You think he's stopped developing and he's actually declining at 24? Seriously?

I don't want him not because "he's on the declining end of his skill spectrum." I don't want him because he's going to cost a lot, and he's not worth it. And he's definitely due a big contract because there just aren't many 24 year old pro-bowl corners around.

I still think we need a QB. JC hasn't proved anything to me. Auburn is no QB factory.

Ok on the first two. The last one makes me laugh. Pittsburgh is no QB factory, but Dan Marino somehow played okay as a pro. Likewise with University of Southern Mississipi & Brett Favre.

Where did Tony Romo go, again?

Go down the list of great QBs and you'll see it really doesn't matter where they went to college.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:32 pm

PulpExposure wrote:Note, I specifically do NOT want Hall, but some of the things you write are just crazy.

HanburgerHelper wrote:DHall is a great talent but I'm convinced we need to build from the ground floor up and he's on the declining end of his skills spectrum. Big contract for him at this stage doesn't make sense to me.

He's 24! You think he's stopped developing and he's actually declining at 24? Seriously?

I don't want him not because "he's on the declining end of his skill spectrum." I don't want him because he's going to cost a lot, and he's not worth it. And he's definitely due a big contract because there just aren't many 24 year old pro-bowl corners around.

I still think we need a QB. JC hasn't proved anything to me. Auburn is no QB factory.

Ok on the first two. The last one makes me laugh. Pittsburgh is no QB factory, but Dan Marino somehow played okay as a pro. Likewise with University of Southern Mississipi & Brett Favre.

Where did Tony Romo go, again?

Go down the list of great QBs and you'll see it really doesn't matter where they went to college.

I agree on both points.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:46 pm

PulpExposure wrote:Where did Tony Romo go, again?

Cancun, right? With Jessica Simpson I believe.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:53 am

SkinsFreak wrote:

That was just wrong :wink:

Back to Hall...

He's young, has skills at a position of need, is from Chesapeake, everyone knows he wants out of Atlanta...

Then again the Gints offered the 30th pick in the draft and Atlanta said that wasn't enough...

If his head is on straight I'd trade our first and second for Hall and their second. With the status of Carlos up in the air, Springs in his last year, and every CB on the roster having a history of injuries, we have the cap space to get him.

The move would sure up the corner spot, leave the NY football Giants flapping in the wind, and allow enough cap space to still get a big WR as the market comes down.

Of course we'll give Atlanta more than that and sign him to a deal that will leave the team with just enough to sign it's rookies, but it'll be a big name name signed before the draft and make "the Danny" par for the course
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Postby yupchagee » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:40 pm

1niksder wrote:
SkinsFreak wrote:

That was just wrong :wink:

Back to Hall...

He's young, has skills at a position of need, is from Chesapeake, everyone knows he wants out of Atlanta...

Then again the Gints offered the 30th pick in the draft and Atlanta said that wasn't enough...

If his head is on straight I'd trade our first and second for Hall and their second. With the status of Carlos up in the air, Springs in his last year, and every CB on the roster having a history of injuries, we have the cap space to get him.

The move would sure up the corner spot, leave the NY football Giants flapping in the wind, and allow enough cap space to still get a big WR as the market comes down.

Of course we'll give Atlanta more than that and sign him to a deal that will leave the team with just enough to sign it's rookies, but it'll be a big name name signed before the draft and make "the Danny" par for the course

I wouldn't give up a 1st rnd pick for a corner. There is every reason to believe that Rogers will come back completely. We need linemen & a WR much more than a CB.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:02 pm

1niksder wrote:Of course we'll give Atlanta more than that and sign him to a deal that will leave the team with just enough to sign it's rookies, but it'll be a big name name signed before the draft and make "the Danny" par for the course

Lol, you're really waiting for the other shoe to fall, aren't you?

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:16 pm

You know itt's coming
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:22 am

yupchagee wrote:
There is every reason to believe that Rogers will come back completely. We need linemen & a WR much more than a CB.

Without commenting on how to best fill the hole, I'd suggest that we can probably not count on Rogers being at full capacity for well into next season, if not until OTA's in 2009. Recovery from tears of both the ACL and MCL are painstakingly slow. Part is the healing of the ligament repair... part is recovery of lost strength and muscle capacity... and part is recovery of confidence in the stability of the joint. It can take a full year after clearance to begin exercise to fully recover.

That's just how it is.

I expect that, even if Carlos is on the active roster, there will be a need for a quality corner to fill his role, for a substantial portion of the year, if not the whole year.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to General Manager's Office