Capitals Playoff Watch

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:01 am

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but what are the magic number, and elimination numbers representative of?

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:15 am

I believe the magic number is games they need to win to clinch their playoff spot and elimination is the number of games they have to lose to eliminate themselves.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:20 am

From Paul Rovnak, Caps PR person extraordinaire...

Simplifying the Scenarios – Washington’s impressive 4-1 victory in front of a raucous Verizon Center crowd last night against Carolina moved the team one step closer to the playoffs and dramatically simplified the scenarios in which the Capitals would get in should they win their two remaining home games. If Washington is 2-0-0 against Tampa Bay (Thursday) and Florida (Saturday), any of the following would get the team its first spot in the Stanley Cup playoffs since 2003:

-- Carolina goes 1-0-1 or worse in its last two games (beginning tonight)

-- Ottawa goes 1-1-0 or worse in its last two games

-- Either Boston or Philadelphia goes 1-1-1 or worse in their last three games

-- The New York Rangers go 0-2-1 or worse in their last three games

In the event of a tie at 94 points, the Caps would hold the tiebreaker against each of these teams except Carolina.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:02 pm

Wow, so we are rooting for Tampa, Jersey, and I never thought I'd say this, Pittsburg tonight!

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:14 pm

JansenFan wrote:I believe the magic number is games they need to win to clinch their playoff spot and elimination is the number of games they have to lose to eliminate themselves.

Please replace games with points. brain fart.
RIP 21

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:30 pm

Thanks for sucking, Tampa Bay.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:11 am

At least the Flyers and Bruins both lost. Now we need to beat the Lightning or none of this matters anyway.
RIP 21

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:24 am

JansenFan wrote:At least the Flyers and Bruins both lost. Now we need to beat the Lightning or none of this matters anyway.

Let's hope Tampa does the Caps the same courtesy of giving no effort whatsoever. The Caps will play like the Caps have been playing.

I'd still feel more comfortable knowing the Lightning will continue to play like they are Sucking Hind Inner Teat. After all, Tampa, why break tradition?

Either way, just the thought of relying on the Florida Panthers to win or tie any game is not a comforting one, although I'd be certain they'll give more effort than the Lightning did last night.

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:48 am

Code: Select all
Rank  Team              GP     W     L   OT   Pts 
3 Carolina Hurricanes*  81   43   32   6     92 
4 x - New Jersey Devils 80   45   28   7     97 
5 New York Rangers      79   41   27   11    93 
6 Ottawa Senators       80   42   30   8     92 
7 Boston Bruins         80   40   28   12    92 
8 Philadelphia Flyers   80   40   29   11    91 
9 Washington Capitals   80   41   31   8     90 

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:44 am

So, if Ottowa loses tonight, we can tie them. Do we have the tie-breaker on them since we swept them this year?

I watched the Philthy-Pitt game, what a bloodbath! Philthy has to play NJ, and then Pitt again, so we may have a good chance there. Ottowa is not favored to win their remaining two. We may not be able to overtake Carolina, and Boston may win both of their next two, but we have a lot of scenarios to work with.

All we have to do is take care of our own business and win out these next two games...against tired opponents (Tampa and FLA both having to face Carolina the night before they face us).

No excuses...no regrets.

Go CAPS!

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:05 am

Bob 0119 wrote:So, if Ottowa loses tonight, we can tie them. Do we have the tie-breaker on them since we swept them this year?

I watched the Philthy-Pitt game, what a bloodbath! Philthy has to play NJ, and then Pitt again, so we may have a good chance there. Ottowa is not favored to win their remaining two. We may not be able to overtake Carolina, and Boston may win both of their next two, but we have a lot of scenarios to work with.

All we have to do is take care of our own business and win out these next two games...against tired opponents (Tampa and FLA both having to face Carolina the night before they face us).

No excuses...no regrets.

Go CAPS!

The Caps hold the tie-breaker advantage over every team except the Hurricanes. Although the Caps could conceivably backdoor their way into the playoffs, it would be nice to see them steal the division and the #3 seed from Carolina. Same discussion as ten games ago. Unless the Caps handle their own business, the rest of the discussion is moot. But the way the Caps are playing, I can't see them folding now.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:21 am

The Caps hold the tie-breaker advantage over every team except the Hurricanes. Although the Caps could conceivably backdoor their way into the playoffs, it would be nice to see them steal the division and the #3 seed from Carolina. Same discussion as ten games ago. Unless the Caps handle their own business, the rest of the discussion is moot. But the way the Caps are playing, I can't see them folding now.

It would be nice to see the Caps win the division, but with the way the Eastern Confrence is, I think if we get in we have as good a shot as anyone to make a run. I have a bad feeling that we will end up playing Pittsburgh in the first round.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:36 am

I wouldn't mind some payback against the Pens. I know we don't usually play very well against them, but we've shown we can match up with anyone. I think we would benefit from a best-of-seven atmosphere.

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:56 am

A Capitals regulation win and a Senators regulation loss puts us in the playoffs. Awesome stuff.
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:10 pm

Caps Media Relations wrote:Simplifying the scenarios – Washington enters its last two games of the regular season within reach of the playoffs, but possibly needing some assistance from other teams – and in all likelihood, two victories – to reach the postseason for the first time since 2002-03. If the Capitals win their last two games, they would make the playoffs if any of the following occurred:

- Carolina loses in regulation or overtime to Florida tomorrow

- Ottawa loses one of its two remaining games in regulation or loses both in overtime

- Boston loses one of its two remaining games in regulation or loses both in overtime

- Philadelphia loses one of its two remaining games in regulation or overtime

Boston and Ottawa play each other tomorrow in Ottawa. If that game ends in regulation, the most one of those teams could earn is 94 points, and the Capitals hold the tiebreaker against both of them. That means that as long as that game is decided in regulation the Capitals control their own destiny.

RIP 21

Return to Washington Sports Teams