PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TRADE FOR OCHO CINCO!!!!!!

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:07 pm

I just hope that Snyder and crew realize that they hold the bargaining chips with Chad Johnson. PLEASE, Danny, keep playing the role of "we don't need your FAs or disgruntled players," and ONLY think about it if we get a steal. Call me crazy, but somehow I see this ending in us losing our remaining cap space and more than two draft picks.

I don't know how Snyder made his first set of millions, because when it comes to negotiations in the NFL he's gotten hosed just about every time.

"Chad Johnson is in a no-win situation if he stays in Cincy?!? WE MUST HAVE HIM! Mortgage the stadium and give him seventy billion dollars!!1"
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:29 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I just hope that Snyder and crew realize that they hold the bargaining chips with Chad Johnson. PLEASE, Danny, keep playing the role of "we don't need your FAs or disgruntled players," and ONLY think about it if we get a steal. Call me crazy, but somehow I see this ending in us losing our remaining cap space and more than two draft picks.

I don't know how Snyder made his first set of millions, because when it comes to negotiations in the NFL he's gotten hosed just about every time.

"Chad Johnson is in a no-win situation if he stays in Cincy?!? WE MUST HAVE HIM! Mortgage the stadium and give him seventy billion dollars!!1"

Again, Johnson's contract is structured in such a way that the Bengals would have to take a massive cap hit if they trade him, this one comes complete with a flashing sign that says "Very Expensive." Snyder may prove me wrong but I believe that he'll see this for what it is: a bad idea*

*Unless Cincy buckles and just gives him away
RIP Sean Taylor

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:55 am

Fios wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I just hope that Snyder and crew realize that they hold the bargaining chips with Chad Johnson. PLEASE, Danny, keep playing the role of "we don't need your FAs or disgruntled players," and ONLY think about it if we get a steal. Call me crazy, but somehow I see this ending in us losing our remaining cap space and more than two draft picks.

Again, Johnson's contract is structured in such a way that the Bengals would have to take a massive cap hit if they trade him, this one comes complete with a flashing sign that says "Very Expensive." Snyder may prove me wrong but I believe that he'll see this for what it is: a bad idea*

Rotoworld sees Cowboys as a major player for him. I don't wanna see Crayton, TO, Johnson, and Witten on the field at the same time....
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:36 am

yupchagee wrote:
The biggest thing that bothers me about JLC is he doesn't seem to own up or take responsibility when he's wrong. He recklessly spits out nonfactual and unsubstantiated conjecture and never has to eat his words when he's proven to be wrong. I'd think the Post would want more responsible and ethical reporting, but I've seen the stance taken by the Post with regards to the Skins.

You must not read many newspapers.

True. I'm the guy that will buy a newspaper, pull out the sports section, and throw the rest of it away.

I'm quite sure many journalists occasionally misrepresent the facts, whether it's deliberate irresponsibility or unintentional. I was always of the understanding that journalists make every effort to be accurate, but knowing sometimes reports from outside sources may be incorrect, take all necessary avenues to substantiate or verify the facts. If JLC's inaccuracies are unintentional and the result unsubstantiated reports, then he is irresponsible and has extremely poor sources. I understand reports can be way off-base sometimes, but when reporters don't try to set the story straight or offer some explanation as to why they were so wrong, I find that to be reckless and poor journalism. Again, I'm not familiar with the industry and don't have much knowledge with regard to the ethics related to the field. Perhaps it's more prevalent than I recognize.

By the way, does anyone know what the cap hit would be for Cincy if Johnson was deemed a post June 1st cut? I would just hate to see them trade high picks or break the bank for a disgruntled prima donna, especially at his age.

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:44 am

SkinsFreak wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
The biggest thing that bothers me about JLC is he doesn't seem to own up or take responsibility when he's wrong. He recklessly spits out nonfactual and unsubstantiated conjecture and never has to eat his words when he's proven to be wrong. I'd think the Post would want more responsible and ethical reporting, but I've seen the stance taken by the Post with regards to the Skins.

True. I'm the guy that will buy a newspaper, pull out the sports section, and throw the rest of it away.

I'm quite sure many journalists occasionally misrepresent the facts, whether it's deliberate irresponsibility or unintentional. I was always of the understanding that journalists make every effort to be accurate, but knowing sometimes reports from outside sources may be incorrect, take all necessary avenues to substantiate or verify the facts. If JLC's inaccuracies are unintentional and the result unsubstantiated reports, then he is irresponsible and has extremely poor sources. I understand reports can be way off-base sometimes, but when reporters don't try to set the story straight or offer some explanation as to why they were so wrong, I find that to be reckless and poor journalism. Again, I'm not familiar with the industry and don't have much knowledge with regard to the ethics related to the field. Perhaps it's more prevalent than I recognize.

By the way, does anyone know what the cap hit would be for Cincy if Johnson was deemed a post June 1st cut? I would just hate to see them trade high picks or break the bank for a disgruntled prima donna, especially at his age.

I heard the post June 1st cap hit for Chad Johnson was somewhere in the neighborhood of $4.5 Million, as opposed to the nearly $9 Million it is now.
I'm having a little trouble finding a source for this. You would think that with all of the Chad Johnson articles someone might bother to add this tidbit.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:14 am

VetSkinsFan wrote:
Fios wrote:

Rotoworld sees Cowboys as a major player for him. I don't wanna see Crayton, TO, Johnson, and Witten on the field at the same time....

Definitely not but, again, I don't see how the Bengals can possibly make this work for them.
RIP Sean Taylor

Postby yupchagee » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:39 am

SkinsFreak wrote:
yupchagee wrote:

Reporters miss state facts routinely. Our local paper is 95% fact free.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:04 am

yupchagee wrote:Reporters miss state facts routinely. Our local paper is 95% fact free.

I understand that can happen. But do they correct it when they discover they were wrong, or do journalists just take a care free attitude and continue to print unverified and nonfactual reports with no ramifications or responsibility? Maybe they do, I don't know.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:36 am

Errors in fact are typically corrected, I think what the Post would say is, yes, we host the blog but it's JLC's blog, it isn't the Post reporting that content as fact. And JLC (like many sports writers) lacks the cojones to admit when he was mistaken. To be fair, it would take a lot of his time for him to correct all of his inaccurate speculation. But the guy doesn't even have enough pride to fix his spelling and grammatical errors so he'll certainly not trouble himself with errors in fact.
RIP Sean Taylor

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:45 am

Fios wrote:But the guy doesn't even have enough pride to fix his spelling and grammatical errors so he'll certainly not trouble himself with errors in fact.

Lol. You're so snarky. I love it.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:21 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
Fios wrote:But the guy doesn't even have enough pride to fix his spelling and grammatical errors so he'll certainly not trouble himself with errors in fact.

Lol. You're so snarky. I love it.

I get paid to be picky :)
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby LOSTHOG » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:40 pm

SkinsFreak wrote: I would just hate to see them trade high picks or break the bank for a disgruntled prima donna, especially at his age.

Big risk, big reward I guess. It worked out so for for the Pukes. I think if Danny thinks we can win now he will pull the trigger, but if he feels like we are still a few years away we will draft and develop a receiver. My 2 cents

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Can I just add that I love threads that trash JLC? Because that's all I have to say. . .

:)
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:44 pm

Simple...

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

Mr Cinco's current and recent past behavior is rife with petulance and tantrums.

Mr Cinco's more distant behavior is rife is show-boating and infantile oppositional defiance.

I just can't imagine what the future holds...

Please take him, Philly.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:27 pm

surprised to see no one has posted the pic of Mr. Johnson himself holding up the Redskins #85 jersey with ocho cinco over the name of that one guy .. cant think of the name.. didnt really play much

Return to General Manager's Office