Cristobal Huet Update (Sort of)

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:47 am

JansenFan wrote:It's ok. It's not like Theodore is a chump.

No, he isn't. But Theodore, unlike Huet, has already proven himself. Theodore didn't need to be given an opportunity that didn't exist previously, only to flash a big screw you sign to the team that gave him the opportunity. Huet had one good string of games, only because the Caps gave him the chance. It isn't like he's Hasek or Brodeur. Not only that, the Caps matched the contract amount. So, I have to think either there was something else, or Huet is an ingrate. Knowing that Ted Leonsis is a far better than average person, especially as owners go, I'm giving him and George McPhee the benefit of the doubt and blaming Huet for being an ingrate.

Blackhawk Down :evil:

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:46 am

We may actually have something good here in Theordore.

Many people have speculated that his best years are behind him, but many also attribute his slump in Montreal as a result of poor training during the lockout, snowballed by a lack of confidence afterwards.

He had a decent year last year, and we might be catching him on the upswing, with renewed confidence.

If you look at his stats, every year where he's started 50+ games, he's had an above .900 Save %.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:08 pm

We may actually have something good here in Theordore.

I think so too. I liked Huet, but it is no great loss, I think Theordore will be equal to him in goal. What's important now is getting one of the kids on the farm ready to be a starting goaltender in a few years. regardless of it being Huet of Theordore who steps between the pipes neither are spring chickens and this team needs to look towards the future in goal.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:14 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:We may actually have something good here in Theordore.

I have no problem with Jose Theodore. I never did.

Huet = Blackhawk down. :evil:
You can't trust Canadians to be loyal. :twisted:

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:21 pm

You can't trust Canadians to be loyal. Twisted Evil

I think you mean the French
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:59 pm

Sir_Monk wrote:

French
Canadian
Neither pronounce "H"

They can't even hate anyone.
It always comes out, "I ate you."

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:46 pm

Huet signed with someone else a few days ago. idk who i dont really follow hockey well except for the caps
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:34 pm

GSPODS wrote:
Sir_Monk wrote:

French
Canadian
Neither pronounce "H"

They can't even hate anyone.
It always comes out, "I ate you."

French Canadians speak French... go figure... the rest of us speak considerably more proper English than say... most Americans. :whistle: I can pronounce an 'H' and could express that I hated you, without issue.

As for swapping Huet for Theodore, it's a slight step backwards in my humble opinion. Theodore may surprise and return to form that he's shown in the past, but he just as easily might not. Having said that, he's a competent goalie, he just isn't going to steal a lot of games for the Caps IMO.

Varlamov is probably their best goaltending prospect and he looked great at the World Juniors, but playing in the Russian Super League, it's hard to get a read on his relative ability. He is at least playing with men and at a fairly elite level.

Michal Neuvirth had a really tough season last year - traded twice... couple of injuries... he went back to junior for a year of maturity and conditioning and unfortunately got little of either.

Machesney had a great year in Hershey last year... but Brent Johnson would still be considered 'better'. So right now it looks like it's Theodore or bust in 2008/9...
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:22 pm

Boss - my guess is that Caps wanted to take their shot with the youngsters, and Huet wanted not only more money but a longer contract then the Caps were willing to give.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:20 pm

Sir_Monk wrote:Boss - my guess is that Caps wanted to take their shot with the youngsters, and Huet wanted not only more money but a longer contract then the Caps were willing to give.
If I recall correctly, that is precisely what Huet said (via his agent) that it wasn't a money issue but a question of contract length
RIP Sean Taylor

Return to Washington Sports Teams