The Shotgun, The 'Gun, and the Shotgun Spread Offense

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Hog

The Shotgun, The 'Gun, and the Shotgun Spread Offense

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:05 pm

Hail -

I came across this article a while back, and thought it might be relevant considering all the discussion about Zorn's increased use of the Shotgun as a comfort tool for JC even though he doesn't necessarily want to. The piece in question is a LONG read, and is a little over halfway down the page. Cheers.

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/

The 'Gun and its history.

The shotgun itself, the perceived center of all of this "newness," has its roots in the beginning of football, however.
Most commentators, of course, seem to deify the "shotgun" itself as an entire offense rather than what it is - a particular way to align your quarterback and perform the center-exchange. Ironically, however, they also take a restricted view of the gun’s presence in football history, presuming it was invented, alternative, in the 60s (Red Hickey), the 70s (Tom Landry), the 80s (pick somebody), the 90s (pick somebody), or the 2000s (whoever they root for, or often Urban Meyer or some passing coach). Regardless, it's somewhat silly.

The point of this article is to show that (a) the shotgun itself has ancient roots, and is not some passing fad, (b) and, thus by inference, the ferment and change I spoke of in the introductory paragraphs is not as limited as how you align your Quarterback...
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:55 am

Thanks, BRD.

The entire "blog" is worth a look. I say "blog" because, as the author mentions, his posts are long essays.

What's there (if you haven't visited)? Informed discussions of "technical" football topics.

Of Redskin interest, our Billy Kilmer was the shotgun QB for the 49ers. He had been a single-wing tailback in one of the last two big-time college programs to run the formation: Tennessee and UCLA.

The 49ers wanted a formation that could use Kilmer's running and passing skills. Thus -> 49ers version of the shotgun.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:23 am

welch wrote:Thanks, BRD.

The entire "blog" is worth a look. I say "blog" because, as the author mentions, his posts are long essays.

And also the site name contains the word blogspot. :wink:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:42 am

welch wrote:Thanks, BRD.

What's there (if you haven't visited)? Informed discussions of "technical" football topics.

Of Redskin interest, our Billy Kilmer was the shotgun QB for the 49ers. He had been a single-wing tailback in one of the last two big-time college programs to run the formation: Tennessee and UCLA.

The 49ers wanted a formation that could use Kilmer's running and passing skills. Thus -> 49ers version of the shotgun.

You're welcome. Yeah, I try to check in on this guy every once in a while; don't know who exactly he is but he's got a sharp football mind, that's for sure. Glad to see somebody else found it interesting.
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

Return to Football 101