Redskins Worth 1 Billion Dollars? No, I'm not Doctor Evil!

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Junior Hog

Redskins Worth 1 Billion Dollars? No, I'm not Doctor Evil!

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:24 am

The Washington Times reports that when Forbes Magazine comes out next week with it's annual NFL franchise rankings, the Redskins will be about 1.5 billion dollars! That is a lot of money. And yet, prices are still so high with jersey's and food.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:16 am

I think this is kick :moon: its something else to be proud of.

Snyder is ripping off the fans a little but in his defense I got an authentic Jersey at Fedex for almost 1/2 the price NFL.com was trying to rob me for.

It is expensive to go to the games and all but to be honest im such a die hard I don't care what I spend when i'm there.

Thats the mentality Snyder is banking on. He just better bring us a BOWL.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:19 am

... okay... so all I have to do is collect 1.5 billion dollars and I can buy the team off of Danny Boy.

Maybe I should set up a 'Buy the Redskins from Danny' fund on the website where everyone can send me from $1-$5... when i get to 1,500,000,000... I'm buying the team.

Who do y'all want me to fire first?

redskinsmiley
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:06 am

woohit56 wrote:I think this is kick :moon: its something else to be proud of.

It is? The team's high value doesn't mean :-# if it comes along with low on-field performance.

This once again proves my biggest beef with Danny Boy:

Great business man.
Horrid football man.
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:48 pm

On field performance is definitely the goal but if you haven't noticed we haven't had any lately.

By having such a financially strong team at least when it comes to other matters (like atrracting free agents, maybe bringing a BOWL to FedEx, not having owners meddle in our desires when we steal another teams best players haha, etc etc) we're in the drivers seat.

I'm sure there is more than we all know going on behind the scenes that goes our way because Snyder can go 'ummm scuse me...how much of the NFL economy do my SKINS drive?

Postby sync » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:07 pm

woohit56 wrote:On field performance is definitely the goal but if you haven't noticed we haven't had any lately.

By having such a financially strong team at least when it comes to other matters (like atrracting free agents, maybe bringing a BOWL to FedEx, not having owners meddle in our desires when we steal another teams best players haha, etc etc) we're in the drivers seat.

I'm sure there is more than we all know going on behind the scenes that goes our way because Snyder can go 'ummm scuse me...how much of the NFL economy do my SKINS drive?

Excellent, Excellent POINT! I concur 150% =D>
The guy didn't become a 35 yr. old Billionaire by accident.

:lol: OH yeah, Dude,...very nice Thread Title too, you get 5pts for that one alone... I didn't catch it at first. NICE

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:00 pm

The guy didn't become a 35 yr. old Billionaire by accident.

I agree 100%, but that doesn't mean he knows anything about football. So far he has created a stigma around himself that he doesn't know what he's doing. Some of that is how the media constantly berates him... some of that is deserved... does it matter either way? The stigma is attached... the damage is done... and we haven't put in a good season in Snyder's tenure.

I don't want to become the Cowboys of the 21st century. Everyone hates them for the sake of hating them... (those that aren't on America's bandwagon that is). Danny's pay now, think later demeanor is making other fans scoff at us and making some of us long for the days of yore, when it was honorable to be a fan of the Redskins.

Now let me also say that I appreciate having an owner that so willingly opens his pocketbook. If he could step aside and let someone else spend his money and turn this franchise into a more than mediocre squad... I'd love the guy.

The funny thing is... while we all try to figure out if Daniel Snyder 'the football guy' can take us to the promised land... Daniel Snyder 'the businessman' is taking us to the cleaners. I have serious admiration for the man's ability to make money...

... so when I'm standing in line at the Redskins store, emptying my wallet and supporting a mediocre team... I can't help but curse Snyder a little, and spend a thought on Jack Kent Cooke. May he RIP. No one loved the Redskins more than the Squire.

redskinsmiley
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:08 pm

BossHog wrote:Jack Kent Cooke. May he RIP. No one loved the Redskins more than the Squire.

redskinsmiley

<minute of silence> Amen!

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:47 pm

While I agree that no one loved the Skins more than our beloved JKC, that was a different era. I hate to speak ill of our greatest coach, but he buggered out when free agency and the salary cap came into effect - I personally think he saw the mess coming. Casserly, who seemed like a god when he put together the plan B team that won the Superbowl couldn't do squat after that. Look back on the massive failures of the 90's drafting and free agents and see what I mean.

I think Snyder would have the best of the best on his team if he could, but with the salary cap and free agency, I think more and more teams are going to find themselves in our position.

Look at New England - they have the same problems we do with the run defense - read the articles Newshog found from their own papers. They just traded a 4th rounder (ours) for a 35 year old DT who while good, is just this side of being worn out. DT is a daggone hard position on the body. Ask Brandon.

Snyder has an expense of 880 million dollars to overcome - that is a heckuva debt load. He has fallen from 1.5 billion in net worth to just over 650 million. That is a huge kick in the pants if you think about it. He has lost 850 million dollars since he has owned this team. The income from the team last year was about 75 mil, including the money from the jerseys and such. That is just about enough to cover the cap, but not all of the signing bonuses he keeps forking out, even if they are in payment plan format.

I for one defend Snyder for realizing that dream we all wish we could achieve - owning the Skins! He has made mistakes, but he is learning and I think he will be one of the better owners in the league. Think about this - he could be as cheap as a Lurie up in Philly. He had the cap room to keep Hugh Douglas but chose not to because he didn't want to pay him.

Could have been John "Milktoast" Cooke that owned the team. The man who couldn't fire Turner's butt and thought that Nolan was a defensive god. A man too cash strapped after buying the team to run it effectively or remain in control.

I am thankful for Snyder and am willing to wait on his aging into the position.

Rich in Roanoke
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007