Rogers gone?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Rogers gone?

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:26 pm

From the WashPost today:
Redskins CB Carlos Rogers said he wondered whether he has played his last game in Washington. Like many top picks in his 2005 draft class, Rogers faces losing unrestricted free agency after the 2009 season, becoming a restricted free agent instead, and would like to sign a long-term contract.

Asked if he thinks Sunday's game may have been his last with the Redskins, Rogers, who was the team's No. 3 cornerback down the stretch, said: "You think about that, of course. It's coming up on my last season [of his contract]. I've always said I'm not a backup. I'm not a backup to nobody. I'm a starter in this league, and I think everybody knows that because there are a lot of teams that would give their right arm to have me on their team. That's my mind-set, whether it's here or anyplace else." . . .

I don't really understand why Rogers would be on his way out. The starting corners would be Hall and Springs?

Why wouldn't they try to wrap up Hall and Rogers? Two young guys who have both performed pretty well. Is this a money issue?

Hog

Re: Rogers gone?

Postby NJ-SKINS-FAN » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:30 pm

riggofan wrote:From the WashPost today:
Redskins CB Carlos Rogers said he wondered whether he has played his last game in Washington. Like many top picks in his 2005 draft class, Rogers faces losing unrestricted free agency after the 2009 season, becoming a restricted free agent instead, and would like to sign a long-term contract.

Asked if he thinks Sunday's game may have been his last with the Redskins, Rogers, who was the team's No. 3 cornerback down the stretch, said: "You think about that, of course. It's coming up on my last season [of his contract]. I've always said I'm not a backup. I'm not a backup to nobody. I'm a starter in this league, and I think everybody knows that because there are a lot of teams that would give their right arm to have me on their team. That's my mind-set, whether it's here or anyplace else." . . .

I don't really understand why Rogers would be on his way out. The starting corners would be Hall and Springs?

Why wouldn't they try to wrap up Hall and Rogers? Two young guys who have both performed pretty well. Is this a money issue?

why was the the third CB?

i would like to keep him and hall as starters, smoot as 3rd db......springs can go
2-2|0-4|1-2|0-0
home: 3-2
road: 0-6

Since 2000 the Redskins have scored 40 pts 2 times!!!!
12/30/01 @ NO 40-10 W
10/23/05 vs SF 52-17 W
Two 40pt games in a decade?? serious?? cant make up that sad fact!!

Hog

Postby redskins14ru » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:46 pm

auuuuuu not that
I love watching and waiting to see what the hecks going on.
god blessed us with # 59 ... go skins
REDSKINS FOOTBALL RULES

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:05 pm

They will re-sign him, he just hasn't been a priority yet.

Of course he can't say anything definate, because ink hasn't hit paper yet.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby redskins14ru » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:14 pm

shew I am glad
REDSKINS FOOTBALL RULES

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:07 pm

He should just be patient and think about the situation. He should know that the chances are that Springs wont be back next year and that would put him at the number two corner. So he'll be back and he'll be happy once Springs is gone
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

cleg

Postby cleg » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:46 pm

I like him to hold onto more than one INT a year, other than that he's a fine player.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

Hog

Postby Wahoo McDaniels » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:08 pm

Why is there always such a big rush to sign players before their contracts are over? I can understand if a player has outperformed his rookie contract and you want to get him before his value rises too high...so you throw him a bone and renegotiate a year early and possibly recoup some back end savings. But for Rogers, the market will not be extremely heavy right now. I would make him earn the money in a contract year and make him show us what he can do...or if he can do it. Same for Campbell. Make them both show you why you should pay them...as Rod Tidwell says "Show me the money".

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:46 pm

Rogers has finally turned in a good season. He also showed he can bounce back from a major injury.

Springs is on the decline. He is at the end of his career. Hall and Rogers should be the starters next year.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

swine

Postby jdubya » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:47 pm

Wow. Lots of love for Rogers here.

Springs is a shut down corner. He is sooo much better than Rogers, even hurt and old!

Rogers has had a few solid games in his career. But he is by no means a top CB in the NFL.

How many times was he on the victim end of a big play in the last 4 years?

I would much rather have an injury prone shut down guy than an average guy who can't catch a ball thrown right into his chest by the opposing QB.

just my $0.02

Hog

Postby redskins14ru » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:22 am

washington needs a quality tackler, is that something that rogers can do.
REDSKINS FOOTBALL RULES

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:54 am

I notice we now have 2 threads on this :roll: I'll post here as it was the first.

As we all know, this source is not that reliable - I will let this develop a little more as I'm sure the facts are a little distorted and if this could be portrayed in any way to make the Redskins seem to be making a mistake, this group will find it :lol:

btw - the Redskins FO do not need any help from these idiots :wink:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:43 am

jdubya wrote:Wow. Lots of love for Rogers here.

Springs is a shut down corner. He is sooo much better than Rogers, even hurt and old!

Rogers has had a few solid games in his career. But he is by no means a top CB in the NFL.

How many times was he on the victim end of a big play in the last 4 years?

I would much rather have an injury prone shut down guy than an average guy who can't catch a ball thrown right into his chest by the opposing QB.

just my $0.02

Springs can't shut down anything sittin on teh sideliens for 6 games a year in sweats.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

swine

Postby jdubya » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:21 pm

He is better than Rogers though. Even hurt.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:32 pm

I like Rogers a lot, but the more I read about and remember Shawn Springs, the more excited I get about a possible full season.

Springs is a tough, smart leader of the team, he's an excellent tackler and can help play run support. Last season he made 62 tackles! 4 interceptions, he even forced a fumble.

Springs is definitely descending in his abilities, but he probably has at least two good seasons left in him. Maybe three.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football