NEWS: Skins sign DT Chase from New Orleans

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

NEWS: Skins sign DT Chase from New Orleans

Postby newshog » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:07 pm

. . . and might not be done shopping yet.

Redskins Get DT Chase From Saints for Draft Pick
By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 20, 2003; 2:01 PM

The Washington Redskins and New Orleans Saints agreed to a trade today in which the Redskins will obtain defensive tackle Martin Chase, sources said.

The Saints will receive a seventh-round draft choice from the Redskins. The pick becomes a sixth-round selection if Chase participates in a prescribed number of the Redskins' defensive plays this season, probably around 40 percent.

The Redskins were continuing to pursue other possible trades this afternoon and perhaps could acquire another defensive tackle later today.

Click herefor the rest of the article.
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:17 pm

I really don't understand why we keep signing backups like Cannida and now Chase. I really don't think that these guys are any better than Holsey or Haley... so why bother. maybe one will emerge as a suitable starter, but it's just as likely to be one of the two we already had as opposed to one of the ones that we have acquired.

You can't make a rotation good just by increasing the number in the rotation.

oh well... no signing bonuses, so we can cut them without it costing us anything.

I wish we'd grabbed Washington while we had the chance. So what if we didn't have a 5th rounder... I'm all for not giving up your 4th rounder for the sake of the deal, but surely we could have parlayed some other picks into a 5th rounder.

Pickings are getting slim.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

I like this move, and the way it was done

Postby skinsfanno9 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:22 pm

I like this move, and the way it was done. Its a sign that the FO has made decisions about who they will pay good money for and who they need to be froogle with. We can't get great players at every position, and considering where we are right now, journeymen DTs are probably what we are getting. At least he's experienced and somewhat young.

Again, I really think we are going with the ole Chicago Bulls center philosophy - throw a bunch of stiffs at the starters and hope to wear them out. Its probably our best approach right now. We will have a bunch of fresh journeymen DTs, but they will still be just as fresh come the 4th quarter.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:35 pm

...I don't know what to make of this at all.

Hog

Postby newshog » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:42 pm

Boss, problem is that they were looking for a 4th-rounder for Ted Washington and that we didn't have, so we would have been looking to trade our 3rd-rounder (or cobble together a 4th). And Washington is 35 years old and has been injured, as well as being very heavy, which is hard on old feet, all of which is a red flag to me. It certainly wouldn't have been a good investment of either a 3rd- or 4th-round pick, in my opinion.
All the Redskins news that's fit to link.

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:28 pm

It seems to be getting to the nitty gritty for a good DT so I'm ok with this deal too. I was hoping Dalton would work out but it looks like they have a better offer elsewhere.

I don't know about the Bulls 'throw the stiffs'
philosophy....I'm just hoping someone makes a break through at the DT position out of all the stiffs we may get. You hear these stories all the time. Maybe we give a guy another chance and it works out.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football