Clausen primer

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:54 pm

If these guys decide that Claussen can be a really good QB they will surround him with all the tools he needs to be successful and they will not risk his progress until the support cast is also ready

:D - I am happy that we have guys in charge here finally that know what they're doing -- despite the constant drone from certain fans here that are predicting these guys do not have a clue about how to put together a franchise, I think that given time, we will see a product on the field that will be the envy of many other franchises in the NFL

hail to the Redskins and to the new era in Redskins football

patience people, patience :wink:
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:40 pm

SkinsJock wrote:If these guys decide that Claussen can be a really good QB they will surround him with all the tools he needs to be successful and they will not risk his progress until the support cast is also ready

:D - I am happy that we have guys in charge here finally that know what they're doing -- despite the constant drone from certain fans here that are predicting these guys do not have a clue about how to put together a franchise, I think that given time, we will see a product on the field that will be the envy of many other franchises in the NFL

Alright, I'll be patient, but so far there is no basis for being impressed with Shany and Allen. All they've done is acquire older and/or average or below average players. There has been no upgrade at any position nor a clear attempt to upgrade (unless you think Johnson is better than Betts) any position. Also, the acquisition of Kemo and the possible switch to the 3-4, along with cutting ten players, is the only move they've made that even hints at rebuilding. Even so, Kemo is too old. And please don't tell me that Hicks is an upgrade. I'd rather have Mike Williams. Hicks will likely be a backup next season and shortly gone thereafter.

You guys who believe Shany and Allen are going to "professionally" rebuild the Skins: The ball is in their court-- when are they going to start.
Please don't tell me any nonsense about drafts picks. Every team in the NFL will take draft picks. We only have five. Even if we take OL in rounds one and two, which we should, we'll not be progressing as quickly as our opponents unless we do something of stunning brilliance. Let me know what happens.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:20 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:so far there is no basis for being impressed with Shany and Allen

You nailed this one. We're already two months into the off season and they haven't won a super bowl yet or even taken us to the playoffs. What a disaster this regime is, it's time for a change...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:32 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:so far there is no basis for being impressed with Shany and Allen

You nailed this one. We're already two months into the off season and they haven't won a super bowl yet or even taken us to the playoffs. What a disaster this regime is, it's time for a change...

I'll try to be patient, as I implied. What I refuse to do is be impressed by Allen and Shany before they've done anything. Most of the posters here are like little girls swooning and giggling over rock stars. I don't need to be in that claque.

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:54 pm

As for Clausen, I don't know what I'm talking about since I haven't seen much of him and when I did was more impressed by Golden Tate than him.
I'd much rather have Bradford than Clausen. Bradford looked to me like maybe one of the most accurate QB's I've ever seen, college or pro, but then again, he was throwing to open receivers and against inferior opponents. Still, I want Okung. I think he's another Samuels and also think that Campbell is very underrated. He's improved every year and had a remarkable year last year inspite of one of the poorest Redskin OL's in history.

So, no to Clausen. Rather, please no.

Incidently, I think the kid is hard to like. There's something about him of the cocky jerk. An unscientific view of course, but I can well imagine his teammates wanting to punch him out. Maybe he'll grow on me. I think that Shany and Allen are a couple of rubes and will probably take him.

Postby yupchagee » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:56 pm

I DON'T want a QB with questionable leadership. If that's all we want, stick with JC.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby fleetus » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:As for Clausen, I don't know what I'm talking about since I haven't seen much of him and when I did was more impressed by Golden Tate than him.
I'd much rather have Bradford than Clausen. Bradford looked to me like maybe one of the most accurate QB's I've ever seen, college or pro, but then again, he was throwing to open receivers and against inferior opponents. Still, I want Okung. I think he's another Samuels and also think that Campbell is very underrated. He's improved every year and had a remarkable year last year inspite of one of the poorest Redskin OL's in history.

So, no to Clausen. Rather, please no.

Incidently, I think the kid is hard to like. There's something about him of the cocky jerk. An unscientific view of course, but I can well imagine his teammates wanting to punch him out. Maybe he'll grow on me. I think that Shany and Allen are a couple of rubes and will probably take him.

Unfortunately, this is the conundrum NFL teams find themselves in every year. IF you don't have a top tier QB that instills confidence in the team, coaches and fans, then you find you'll picking through the draft for that SPECIAL QB. But rarely are QB's anywhere close to ready for the NFL out of college. It's one thing to be a little immature at LB or WR. But at QB, it is inexcusable. If they haven't played under center much, since the Spread Offense is all the rage in college, then they aren't ready for the NFL. If they have ANY issues with reading the relatively simple coverages in college, look out, it's going to be a long road in the NFL. If their throwing motion is slow, loopy or just plain weak, they're dubbed a project (meaning 4th round or later).

So, how do you find an NFL QB? I think every owner, GM and coach is searching for that answer. But I think the key is coaching. In fact, I don't think there is such a thing as a rookie QB is ready for the NFL. Even P. Manning, who has amazing work ethic, took some time and had good coaching to turn the corner. I don't think Tom Brady becomes the great QB he is, out of the 6trh round, if he was drafted by Oakland or Cleveland.

Shanahan may have some recent issues drafting RB's and putting together a defense. But, QB is not something he has ever struggled with, compared to the rest of the league. I believe he will solve the QB issue here within 2 seasons. It may be JC17. it may be a rookie. It might be a trade for a young veteran.

But one thing is for certain, if you're looking at QB's in the draft, you are looking at players who will only succeed IF they land with a team that can put the right tools around them and IF they have the work ethic to bridge the gap from college to the NFL.

Bradford, Clausen, Tebow and McCoy have enough tools that they could be successful in the NFL. But if they land in Oakland, my guess is they will fail and be considered a bust. If they land in Washington with the Father/Son Shanahan team, my guess is they will be a success.
Build through the draft!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:00 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:If these guys decide that Claussen can be a really good QB they will surround him with all the tools he needs to be successful and they will not risk his progress until the support cast is also ready

Alright, I'll be patient, but so far there is no basis for being impressed with Shany and Allen. All they've done is acquire older and/or average or below average players. There has been no upgrade at any position nor a clear attempt to upgrade (unless you think Johnson is better than Betts) any position. Also, the acquisition of Kemo and the possible switch to the 3-4, along with cutting ten players, is the only move they've made that even hints at rebuilding.

You guys who believe Shany and Allen are going to "professionally" rebuild the Skins: The ball is in their court-- when are they going to start.
Please don't tell me any nonsense about drafts picks.

I can tell that you are working on your patience.... :roll:

Also, do you understand the concept of rebuilding? They cleaned out a number of guys (major dead weight) and are replacing them with veterns that they like. I guess you think rebuilding takes 1-2 years.....if that were the case we would be drafting a QB in R1. I find it interesting that you say we only have 5 picks -- something that the new group couldn't control. Then you say that we haven't upgraded at a position -- which in the FA market is usually signing high priced older vets whose contracts have expired. Those FAs are the types of players you AVOID when rebuilding. You either bring in youth -- but in the FA market, those guys are restricted FAs, hence you have to give up picks; or you bring in older vets that are cheap and are willing to coach and train.

But continue to practice patience.....
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:35 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:Your endless faith in Kyle, Mike, and Bruce is so touching that I'm ashamed I have my own thoughts. I wish I was like you-- a guy with no need to to have his own thoughts or feel shame.

So you think we would be mistaken to draft any QB with our 1st rounder, rather than a LT or another OLineman?
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:44 pm

I'd say "No" to Clausen for this alone.

SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:57 pm

Yeah that's not going to work. Sorry...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Postby SidelineScouting » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:11 pm

The Clausen debate has caused two of our writers to clash more than ever and even effected their friendship. One hates Clausen and wouldn't waste a first round pick on him even late in the first round. The other thinks St. Louis should take him #1 overall.

He may be one of the most debated prospects in recent memory because of his bad attitude/cockiness, lack-luster performance during his first 2 seasons, lack of winning, but yet has all the physical tools to succeed.

Hog

Postby fleetus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:26 pm

The Hogster wrote:I'd say "No" to Clausen for this alone.

C'mon. that's gotta be a photoshop job by some college kid. :lol:
Build through the draft!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:09 pm

fleetus wrote:
The Hogster wrote:I'd say "No" to Clausen for this alone.

C'mon. that's gotta be a photoshop job by some college kid. :lol:

I hope so. For his sake and for the team who drafts him.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:14 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I'll try to be patient, as I implied. What I refuse to do is be impressed by Allen and Shany before they've done anything. Most of the posters here are like little girls swooning and giggling over rock stars. I don't need to be in that claque.

It's the rock star thing that makes me think these guys know what they're doing. They haven't signed any rock star types, that alone is more than doing nothing.

I've seen post about the new regime doing nothing. They haven't signed a high-priced "anything" since arriving. "the Danny" did come out and say he didn't pay a whole lot of money for a really big desk to put in a office he doesn't have.

But you're right, they haven't made anyone the highest paid anything all month.

The voluntary conditioning program just started two weeks ago, and there's panic because the coach and GM have done nothing to make a guy volunteer to do something he says he doing anyway just not at Redskins Park. He didn't say it on twitter, send a e-mail, pass it on threw a agent, he didn't even do it old school by sending a text or actually making a call. He told them face to face on the first day of the VCP. They reworked the deal that that Vinny gave him last year and converted the money that would have forced him to be there for OTAs into signing bonus money. So lets see what happens IF he doesn't show up for workouts when it's not voluntary. His new deal does pay him more this year than Pepper's will get but it tied most of last years spending spree to this year and not the 5-6 years that Vinny had them committed to.

Randle El, Smoot, Cartwright, Mason, Slotnitsky, or Eddie Williams why they were cut right before the market opened and they did nothing with the $13.2 million tjhat was saved by doing so.

They brought in non big names so they get no credit for bringing them in.

Larry Johnson cost them $1.675 million less than what Betts was on the books for in 2010 and Johnson actually will be a change of pace back with CP. Hicks cost them $4.810 million less than what Randy Thomas would have cost and is four years younger, Kemoeatu cost them $1.161 million less and is 2 years younger than Griffin. None of that sounds like much but when you look at them getting 7 seven years younger at QB by signing Rex for $2.690 million less and cutting Collins they saved another $10.3 million while doing nothing.

That's a lot of nothing for a group that just took over a team coming off their worst year in a decade and a half...

You should be in full panic right now...
Somebody shaved 32 years of age off the oldest roster in the NFL last year, signed seven players (including a TE, punter and LS).
Have players that never workout working out, most at Redskins Park, and those that are there are actually getting guidance and doing the work.
They freed up future cap space (more than $20 million) for when the Salary cap comes back.

On top of all of that

They $24.3 million more than they had when they started doing nothing.

Cleaning up the payroll on a Cap strapped team when there is no cap isn't called doing nothing, it's called preparing for a future cap and getting into better position to spend when the market has more meat on it.

Cutting highly paid, low producing players on your roster isn't doing nothing... it's getting younger and spending wisely.

Pulling prorated money forward instead of pushing it back to future years isn't doing nothing it's what good teams do so they can operate un-hindered in the future.

If I'm wrong I can't wait to see what they are going to do.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010