Should We Trade Down With our #4 Pick?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
goskins

Should We Trade Down With our #4 Pick?

Postby GoSkins » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:19 am

Since we now have no picks in the 2nd and 3rd round, should we trade down with our first pick to get more picks?

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:23 am

#1 question - do you have a trade partner. That's the toughest question to answer. I'm a bit of a devils advocate on the whole top 10 this year's draft. I think that most teams will not want to be in the top 10 because after this year, once they get the CBA worked out, there will be a rookie wage scale that will be a lot less than what you pay. I think that we would love to move out of the #4, but I don't think it's going to happen.

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:42 am

It could happen... If we dealt Albert to his favorite coach Jim Schwartz and the Lions, then they'd target Okung, which means either Ndamukong or McCoy would fall in our lap and there are teams imo that would give a 1 and a 2, or a 1 and a 3
HAIL

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:06 am

Only if Okung is already gone.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:50 am

Buffalo, Cleveland, Seattle, San francisco and Arizona need a Qb. They would all love to have Bradford. But, the Rams are gonna take him barring any major trades. The next Qb would be Clausen.

With the acquisition of Mcnabb it is hard to sell that we are going to pick Clausen at no.4.

The Chiefs sit at no.5. They have Millions invested in Matt Cassel so that "should" eliminate them from drafting Clausen.

Seahawks at no.6 need a Qb. They could take Clausen if available. Seattle also has two picks in the first round. However they sit at no.6 and have no reason to trade up.

Browns sit at no.7 and we all know Holmgren is a QB guru. Holmgren will be darned if he cant handpick his own QB. Holmgren already let go of Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson. If the Browns believe Seattle will pick Clausen they could possibly trade up?

Heres where it gets interesting. After the Raiders at no.8 sits the Buffalo Bills at no.9. With the Seahawks and Browns needing a QB. That may make Buffalo nervous and try to pull a trade up with us if they want Clausen? Of course the Raiders could screw this all up and Al Davis could draft Clausen? You never know what Al Davis will do?

San Francisco sitting at no. 13 could also be interested in trading up. They have been desperate for an offense. They also have plenty of bargaining chips.

Arizona sits low in the first round. But, with the departure of Kurt Warner they need a Qb.

What would really open up the floodgates is if the Rams pass on Bradford.
I mean we could even end up drafting Bradford? Many teams will also be interested in moving up.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

kazoo

Re: Should We Trade Down With our #4 Pick?

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:07 am

GoSkins wrote:Since we now have no picks in the 2nd and 3rd round, should we trade down with our first pick to get more picks?

Um...if we get a good deal. If we don't we shouldn't do it. Ya think?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
GoSkins wrote:Since we now have no picks in the 2nd and 3rd round, should we trade down with our first pick to get more picks?

I think these guys are going to continue to do whatever they can to get as many draft picks in the top 100 as they can (maybe Portis, Haynesworth or Cooley)

the obvious thing is to trade that 4 pick but if Okung is there and we cannot find a team to trade with, that is not a bad thing - we just need to try and get some top 100 picks with any of the current players over 26 AND we do not need to lose any more draft picks in next year's draft

Okung would be great for many years but we need a lot of offensive linemen and that should be the focus because this draft has a few good prospects
always look on the bright side of life

Hail to the Redskins

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:48 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I think these guys are going to continue to do whatever they can to get as many draft picks in the top 100 as they can (maybe Portis, Haynesworth or Cooley)

the obvious thing is to trade that 4 pick but if Okung is there and we cannot find a team to trade with, that is not a bad thing - we just need to try and get some top 100 picks with any of the current players over 26 AND we do not need to lose any more draft picks in next year's draft

Okung would be great for many years but we need a lot of offensive linemen and that should be the focus because this draft has a few good prospects

Allen and Shany are doing absolutely nothing to acquire draft picks. They are patching holes with vets, obviously the opposite of what you say they are doing. We now have four drafts picks. I hope they trade Campbell to
get a draft pick back, but they might just as easily trade Campbell and another draft pick for a vet RT. Also, it should be obvious to you now that they are not building for the future, but are trying to win now.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:59 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:it should be obvious to you now that they are not building for the future, but are trying to win now.

That's actually not obvious. Dude, there are two parts to the off season regarding getting players:

1) Free agency
2) The draft and subsequent undrafted players

Now riddle me this batman. In which part do you go after vets and in which part do you go after youngsters for the future? And which part have we gone through?

If you can convince me they chose to do FA before the draft then I'll accept that it's "obvious" what you say. Until then, I'll wait to see what the whole story is until we have the whole story.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:42 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:Allen and Shany are doing absolutely nothing to acquire draft picks.

and you absolutely know this how - they talk with you? please let us in on this - or is this just your opinion?
They are patching holes with vets, obviously the opposite of what you say they are doing. We now have four drafts picks. I hope they trade Campbell to get a draft pick back, but they might just as easily trade Campbell and another draft pick for a vet RT.
Also, it should be obvious to you now that they are not building for the future, but are trying to win now.

nothing you offer is viable to me as it is obvious that you are very biased against what these guys are trying to accomplish here
you have made it abundantly clear that, in your opinion, neither oif them has even a slight clue in acquiring or evaluating what this franchise needs

you can have fun with others here but I'm personally not interested in your point of view because it is so biased :roll:

Hail to the Redskins

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:45 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:it should be obvious to you now that they are not building for the future, but are trying to win now.

That's actually not obvious. Dude, there are two parts to the off season regarding getting players:

1) Free agency

Now riddle me this batman. In which part do you go after vets and in which part do you go after youngsters for the future? And which part have we gone through?

If you can convince me they chose to do FA before the draft then I'll accept that it's "obvious" what you say. Until then, I'll wait to see what the whole story is until we have the whole story.

you know - I should have just let you 'handle' this - you do it so well :D

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:36 pm

We need linemen. At 4 you can get a prime candidate that will last for years.

Campbell is as good as gone. Maybe you get a 3rd for him. Again, you use it on the O-line.

Everything else is secondary.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:21 am

SkinsJock wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

1) Free agency

you know - I should have just let you 'handle' this - you do it so well :D

Thanks! It's getting me to be serious that's the trick. Sometimes it's more fun one way, some the other. But fun is the objective. :twisted:

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:43 am

Hey, stop mentioning trading Cooley or else i'll have to deck you one! :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:48 am

This offseason has shown that nobody is safe from Mike/Allen. JC is still seeking trade partners, expect more picks to come our way. Maybe a 2nd, prolly a third and low conditional pick next year.... *shrugs* We also have to see how the draft shakes out. We may be in position to acquire more picks...

There's no reason why you can't build to be competitive now, while still looking ahead.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010