Eagles want to move up to draft Eric Berry.....hmmm

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
spudstr04

Eagles want to move up to draft Eric Berry.....hmmm

Postby spudstr04 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:10 pm

2. I think the Eagles want to come up.

Let me rephrase that -- I know they want to come up. The Eagles are in a very small club, teams that want to jump up from low in the first round to the upper half. I believe Philly wants one of the two safeties in the draft -- Eric Berry of Tennessee or Earl Thomas of Texas. With the 24th, 35th, 55th and 70th picks, the Eagles absolutely have the ammo to move up.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/16/five.things/index.html?eref=sihp

I absolutely loath Peter, but his scenario is interesting for the Skins. Does anyone think that the Eagles would trade their 1st rounder (#24) and our 2nd rounder (#37) back to us for our #4 pick? I wouldn't mind that, if they are that desperate for him, they might include another mid-late rounder too. We could pick up two good starters on our O-Line for our 1st round pick.

Couple that with the fact that we are trying to trade Campbell, Haynesworth, and possible McIntosh and Andre Carter, by this time next week, we could have 7-10 picks instead of 4.
#21 = Forever in our hearts

Re: Eagles want to move up to draft Eric Berry.....hmmm

Postby yupchagee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:49 pm

spudstr04 wrote:

Let me rephrase that -- I know they want to come up. The Eagles are in a very small club, teams that want to jump up from low in the first round to the upper half. I believe Philly wants one of the two safeties in the draft -- Eric Berry of Tennessee or Earl Thomas of Texas. With the 24th, 35th, 55th and 70th picks, the Eagles absolutely have the ammo to move up.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/16/five.things/index.html?eref=sihp

I absolutely loath Peter, but his scenario is interesting for the Skins. Does anyone think that the Eagles would trade their 1st rounder (#24) and our 2nd rounder (#37) back to us for our #4 pick? I wouldn't mind that, if they are that desperate for him, they might include another mid-late rounder too. We could pick up two good starters on our O-Line for our 1st round pick.

Couple that with the fact that we are trying to trade Campbell, Haynesworth, and possible McIntosh and Andre Carter, by this time next week, we could have 7-10 picks instead of 4.

Check the value chart. #24 = #37 =1270 points, way short of 1800 for the #4.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 pm

yupchagee wrote:
spudstr04 wrote:

Geez, I didn't realize that there was a correct "science" to this. I also said that they would may be throw in a mid rounder.
#21 = Forever in our hearts

piggie

Postby NEWSKINSFAN119 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:27 pm

spudstr04 wrote:

I hear the Eagles really want Earl Thomas because they figure Berry would be too expensive to move up to get plus he(Thomas) fits their defense better than Berry does and would allow them to make Macho Harris a corner again and if they can say trade with Jacksonville at #10 (who is looking to add picks) then they would only have to give up picks #24 , #37 , #137, because that equates to #10 on the trade value chart.
The difference between a successful person
and others is not a lack of strength,
not a lack of knowledge,
but rather in a lack of will.
-Vince Lombardi

The will to win is the greatest gift a football player can possess

Hog

Postby fleetus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:02 pm

Yep, some scouts think Thomas is better than Berry. Eagles are probably hoping to get just high enough in the 1st round for Thomas.

The 1800 vs. 1270 thing is just the default chart. teams take less value than that to trade down every year. The Salary owed to the top 5 players is really high, so trading down bring more value. Plus, there's always the increased odds of finding a good player out of two or three picks vs. one. Skins would probably love to trade down for the 24, 37 and maybe a mid rounder. Just my guess.
Build through the draft!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:02 am

yupchagee wrote:
spudstr04 wrote:

Kansas City is hot for Berry too...

The Skins could possibly .... if they didn't have any choice but go OT at #4, get their whole draft back. And it would look like the Skins came up short maybe by a 3rd rounder (almost 300 points on the VC).

It really does cost to jump 20 spots... I don't see Philly giving up. #24, giving back our 2nd rounder and the #70 pick (3rd rd). It could happen considering Philly would still have a pick in every round after the trade.

Or they could swap 1st rounders and give the Skin both of their 2nd round picks :wink: and call it a day
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

########

Postby Scottskins » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:52 pm

us giving philly berry would be on par with them giving us mcnabb, unless we got their 1st and both 2nd rounders. berry is gonna be better than reed...
Death to the EGO! RIP 21

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:11 pm

I'm really not worried about players who are not in B&G - this franchise has to be rebuilt and thankfully the guys in charge are going to do whatever it takes to try and put a consistently competitive product on the field ASAP

IF the Eagles did get Berry and he did become a much better player than Reed, there is absolutely no guarantee or assurance that that would make them a better team - that is fantasy football stuff and does not apply in the real world
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:41 pm

I would hate trading the pick to someone in division for them to pick up a player that I have to watch crush our WR's for the next ten years. No thanks
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:15 am

Scottskins wrote:us giving philly berry would be on par with them giving us mcnabb, unless we got their 1st and both 2nd rounders. berry is gonna be better than reed...

ed reed? maaan i don't know, there's not a lot of talent out there better than old ed. I hear ya though, the kid is reaaaally sick.. you think he'll be up there with Troy as well? jus curious
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:17 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
Scottskins wrote:us giving philly berry would be on par with them giving us mcnabb, unless we got their 1st and both 2nd rounders. berry is gonna be better than reed...

ed reed? maaan i don't know, there's not a lot of talent out there better than old ed. I hear ya though, the kid is reaaaally sick.. you think he'll be up there with Troy as well? jus curious

The guy hasn't even played a snap in the NFL, and he's already guaranteed to be better than Ed Reed? Come on now. Let's be realistic.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:43 am

VetSkinsFan wrote:The guy hasn't even played a snap in the NFL, and he's already guaranteed to be better than Ed Reed? Come on now. Let's be realistic.

Didn't you get the memo man? Mel Kiper has it on good authority that Berry is going to be better than Ed Reed and Polamalu combined.

Man I wish it was Thursday already. And like 8:10 pm.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Reed is arguably the best safety EVER. Keep dreamining. :roll:
Suck and Luck

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:45 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:Reed is arguably the best safety EVER. Keep dreamining.

who's dreaming? are you kidding me? Reed is a very good safety but ... well it's pointless, if that is where you want to begin - I strongly disagree with that :D
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:15 am

SkinsJock wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:Reed is arguably the best safety EVER. Keep dreamining.

who's dreaming? are you kidding me? Reed is a very good safety but ... well it's pointless, if that is where you want to begin - I strongly disagree with that :D

You can disagree all you want. You'd just be wrong.
Suck and Luck

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010